What's new

Best way to store a lot of movie posters? (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
Does anyone out there collect a lot of movie posters? I was wondering what is the best way to store a lot of them....I used to try to store them in tubes, but after rolling up a few too many of them too tightly, it wrecked a few of them. Then I tried using two cardboard pieces that are 27 x 40, taping them together so it is almost like a giant folder, and kept the posters flat in it. However, the cardboard usually can't sustain the weight....so i was just wondering what other people do....

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Just keep them away from water.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

- Steve

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Maybe find a source for used drafting furniture and check out their flat files?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I collect vintage 1960's and early 1970's rock & roll posters not movie posters, but the same concepts apply.

Very best thing you can do is find Mylar D sleeves for your posters, insert one sheet of acid free backing, insert poster and store it flat in a flat filing cabinet.

Keep the flat filing cabinet in a smoke free, room temperature environment and you'll be good to go. If they're different sizes, as long as you put the largest on the bottom and stack them large to small from bottom to top, you can safely stack many many posters in a flat file this way without worrying about the effects of weight in the stack as long as the size differences are not too significant.

This will cost you, though if the posters have value or just sentimental value, it would be worth the investment as it's the optimal method of storing paper collectibles.

I have no idea where you'd get the Mylar sleeves for posters of that size, though I'm fairly sure you could find them.

Finally, if you go this route, make sure you get the Mylar sleeves from a reputable merchant so you know they're truly Mylar, and find a couple of cheap posters to practice inserting the posters into the sleeves as this often requires a little practice and care.

ToddJ

Second Unit
Do they make folders that big (like in art supply stores?) is it that bad to roll them up (I know if you do it too tightly, it will wreck them.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I always rolled about 10 together at a time in one big roll (artwork out), than wrapped them in wide butcher type paper, poking the edges of the paper into the center of the roll. The 10 posters seem to be strong enough to support their own weight. I than have them all in a big box.

Granted, mine are all video store freebies, and most of them I have no real interest in but it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks