Best way to sell my car online?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenK, Jul 23, 2003.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I need to get rid of my car, (moving to a bigger place and can't afford to do both). I listed it on Yahoo classifieds, but I'm not getting enough "eyeballs". Anyone have any ideas how to get the widest exposure? I'm in NYC btw. Cars.com charges $35 and autotrader.com charges $45.

FYI, this is a mint 2002 Audi A6 3.0 with 6,650 miles. Kills me to lose it.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've tried both cars.com and autotrader and wasn't pleased with either. I ran an ad in the local paper and sold it 2 days later.
    BTW my local paper runs an ad in the paper and on cars.com for like 60 bucks.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm searching for a car right now.. I mainly use autotrader.com and cars.com.

4. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

OK, I fiugured I would dredge this up instead of starting a new thread.

I am getting ready to try to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I looked at listings at Autotrader.com and every single listing is from a dealer. Do no private sellers use it anymor?. I will try my local newspaper but I'm looking for max exposure here. Any other tips?

5. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Lee,

I posted at Cars.com, Autotrader.com and yahoo classified. I think I got about 6 series leads from yahoo, 3 or 4 from cars.com and 10+ from autotrader. ymmv.

Good luck

ps it sold off the yahoo ad, but after I sold it, a better offer came from autotrader.

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I tried to sell a Yamaha waverunner in my local paper for several weeks with no serious offers........ then ran it on ebay and it sold in 4 hours. This was in May at the beginning of the water season and it was a mint machine..... Ebay was good to me and no BS during the sale.

8. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

So does EBAY motors allow you to place a set price ad? I guess I could just put a high reserve on it, I just don;t know that much about selling stuff on ebay, much less the auto side of things.

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

one more vote for autotrader.com

i put my car on at.com last year and it sold for my asking price in two weeks. i was pleased.

10. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I sold my 2001 Grand Cherokee using cars.com and autotrader.com back in July. It sold to a guy from Autotrader after about 2 1/2 weeks listed. Well worth the prices paid as I got what I was hoping for.

11. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Hrm, an old thread.
    since my last response I sold a car, ran it in the paper, online at cars.com and at autotrader, the paper generated the most calls, but no one serious, I might have had the car priced too cheap, at least 1k less than the rest in the paper.
    I listed it on ebay and sold it within a couple days to a local buyer, he used buy it now to pay exactly what I was asking in the paper.
    As a sidenote it was a 16y/o kid, buying his first car, a subaru WRX. Coming soon to a telephone pole near you [​IMG]
    I have been lucky, I sold a car and two motorcycles (totalling just under 30k [​IMG] )on ebay without a hitch. My last car sold over the weekend from the paper, I was hoping to have that kind of performance this time around, no such luck [​IMG]