What's new

Best way to sell my car online? (1 Viewer)

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I need to get rid of my car, (moving to a bigger place and can't afford to do both). I listed it on Yahoo classifieds, but I'm not getting enough "eyeballs". Anyone have any ideas how to get the widest exposure? I'm in NYC btw. Cars.com charges $35 and autotrader.com charges $45.

FYI, this is a mint 2002 Audi A6 3.0 with 6,650 miles. Kills me to lose it.

Thanks
Steve

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've tried both cars.com and autotrader and wasn't pleased with either. I ran an ad in the local paper and sold it 2 days later.
BTW my local paper runs an ad in the paper and on cars.com for like 60 bucks.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm searching for a car right now.. I mainly use autotrader.com and cars.com.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
OK, I fiugured I would dredge this up instead of starting a new thread.

I am getting ready to try to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I looked at listings at Autotrader.com and every single listing is from a dealer. Do no private sellers use it anymor?. I will try my local newspaper but I'm looking for max exposure here. Any other tips?

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,

I posted at Cars.com Autotrader.com and yahoo classified. I think I got about 6 series leads from yahoo, 3 or 4 from cars.com and 10+ from autotrader. ymmv.

Good luck

ps it sold off the yahoo ad, but after I sold it, a better offer came from autotrader.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I tried to sell a Yamaha waverunner in my local paper for several weeks with no serious offers........ then ran it on ebay and it sold in 4 hours. This was in May at the beginning of the water season and it was a mint machine..... Ebay was good to me and no BS during the sale.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
So does EBAY motors allow you to place a set price ad? I guess I could just put a high reserve on it, I just don;t know that much about selling stuff on ebay, much less the auto side of things.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
one more vote for autotrader.com

i put my car on at.com last year and it sold for my asking price in two weeks. i was pleased.

Tim K

Second Unit
I sold my 2001 Grand Cherokee using cars.com and autotrader.com back in July. It sold to a guy from Autotrader after about 2 1/2 weeks listed. Well worth the prices paid as I got what I was hoping for.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
So does EBAY motors allow you to place a set price ad? I guess I could just put a high reserve on it, I just don't know that much about selling stuff on ebay, much less the auto side of things
What I did was include the right to cancel the auction. If the price didn't get to my own minimum I could have just pulled the plug. I wouldn't use a set price because you may get more.

I wouldn't include a large reserve - that can drive away bidders.

I would caution you to check the comments on each bidders feedback as the auction nears the close. I had one person with a history of failing to pay on car auctions who almost won.

If you want more info feel free to ask. I would also suggest you go there and check out what the auctions for other cars like yours look like.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Hrm, an old thread.
since my last response I sold a car, ran it in the paper, online at cars.com and at autotrader, the paper generated the most calls, but no one serious, I might have had the car priced too cheap, at least 1k less than the rest in the paper.
I listed it on ebay and sold it within a couple days to a local buyer, he used buy it now to pay exactly what I was asking in the paper.
As a sidenote it was a 16y/o kid, buying his first car, a subaru WRX. Coming soon to a telephone pole near you :frowning:
I have been lucky, I sold a car and two motorcycles (totalling just under 30k :eek: )on ebay without a hitch. My last car sold over the weekend from the paper, I was hoping to have that kind of performance this time around, no such luck :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks