What's new

Best way to attach some 1/16" skin/veneer/sheets to MDF? (1 Viewer)

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I came across some 1/16" sheets of nice hard plywood (I believe it may be birch). I plan to skin my sub with it (I think it will look beautiful), but I'm not sure what the best approach would be to attach it. I want to be sure it covers with no cavities between the MDF and the sheets.

I've read about using plain Elmers carpenter/wood glue but I'm wondering if there would be something more practical, and maybe faster drying. Also, if I were to use the wood glue, would I want to spread it thinly over the MDF and sheets, let it dry a bit, and then iron it on? What I have is a bit thicker than "veneer" so I'm not sure this would work too well. Or should I just glue the sheets on and then compress it with weight (doing one side of the sub at a time).

My sub is rather large so any way is going to take a bit of time, and probably going to require a lot of glue/cement.

I then plan to cover the edges with some hardwood corner stock (whatever it's called, just looks like a right angle |_ ). Then possibly cover the top with hardwood strips or a solid piece of something :P I don't have enough of the birch to cover the top unless I do it in pieces.

Sounds exactly like what I used on my Tepest. My plywood veneer is Birch and the hardwood trim/top is Red Oak. See my www for pics.

To attach the plywood veneer is simply used yellow wood glue and a few bags of kitty litter (unused ;) )

Mine turned out great. No resonance or hollow spots that I can find.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I'd spread regular wood glue on with a cheap paintbrush and then put every clamp I owned on it, using scrap wood to form "bridges" to make sure enough pressure was applied to the center of the sheet.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, I saw yours before :) The edge pieces I plan to use are much smaller (and much less expensive than oak ;)) - they're something like 1/4" thick by 1" deep I think, I haven't picked any up yet.

I have a couple hundred pounds of olympic weight plates that I can lay flat on it I suppose. I don't have any long clamps :frowning:

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
That failed miserably :D I tried to apply one of the sides I had cut, but after the birch sucked up a bit of glue it started to warp away from the MDF badly :frowning: I don't have anything to apply a nice uniform pressure to it (especially along the edges) so I ended up peeling it off and scraping the leftover glue off with a razor blade. Now I have a nice elmers finish :D

I may go with the bedliner finish :P

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Mattak,
The problem may have been that you used too much glue. My veneer did the same thing until I started using less glue. It might be worth another try. I also put the sub on a sheet on MDF while the glue was drying to use the subs weight to apply pressure.

The best way is almost unquestionably a vacuum press. Way overkill for one project, but since you can build one for around $300 (I did) it's well worth having if you end up doing more veneering work. Details on how to build one at www joewoodworker com

It's not a real URL since I'm new here and it won't let me post one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks