What's new

Best versions of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness on DVD? (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
ok folks seams nobody posted it ;) but the best version for army of darkness is the region3 mgm release. it has the complette director's cut which is a bit longer then the anchor bay version and comes with dolby digital 5.1. the video quality is just to say awesome and the audio is great too. gary tooze made a comparsion a long time ago and you should check it out. so go here
as for evil dead. i still have the elite dvd which is a great dvd and i see no big point in upgrading to another release ;)
ps: whoops i just saw that the r43 was mentioned before :b but who cares ;)

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
The Elite DVD of Evil Dead is Cut... Not a big deal, but Cut... You miss the Lightning sequence before the Tape Recorder Scene, and When Cheryl is first Possessed near the window, they added a Zoom in the same style of Army of darkness... Sam Raimi said the real Aspect Ratio of the Movie IS 1.85:1. The Elite DVD is the Open Matte. But, ok, the Anchor Bay one is maybe in the OAR, but the transfert is Incorrectly Framed... So, No DVD has a right transfert for the movie...

I have the two versions, But I prefer the Anchor Bay version, only the picture quality, DTS sound and the package worth the upgrading! And you have some great new documentary!

Concerning the R3 MGM DVD for Army of Darkness, this is the best version of the Director's cut! The picture quality is far supérior to the Anchor Bay, because Anchor Bay used VHS for the Deleted & Extented Scenes...

Haden

Supporting Actor
Okay, so the big question now is where can we purchase the R3 MGM DVD of Army of Darkness?

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator
Haden: You won't be disappointed. I've had it for a year now, and the transfer is by far superior to Anchor Bays versions. Simply gorgeous.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
So... MGM's AoD looks like the clear winner, since I don't have a region free player, I have to redo my thinking on it. But does anyone know what happened to that Q & A in the Primer?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It'd be great if Anchor Bay would release a special 4-disc box similar to that limited ed. Book Of The Dead case with 4 trays to hold all the limited sp. ed. including the 2-disc boomstick edition and one massive book with all the pasges from past ltd. ed. collectible booklets and poster replicas.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
No, It's a mistake on the cover... The real Running time is 1:36:12

You have the complete director's cut + The lost scene where Evil Ash tears the Sheila's Dress (Not in the Anchor Bay DVD)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
You have the complete director's cut + The lost scene where Evil Ash tears the Sheila's Dress (Not in the Anchor Bay DVD)
It's not really a lost scene. It's something that Dino DeLaurentiis wanted to be in the film. Sam Raimi never liked it, which is probably why it wasn't included in the cut he prepared for Anchor Bay.

DJ

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Anchor Bay director's cut truly is a cut assembled by the director, not simply a "workprint" with everything thrown in. Had the intention been to throw everything in, the deleted scenes on the Anchor Bay disc would have been included, and no "S-Mart" footage would exist in the film. The director's cut was assembled by Raimi using footage from both the "original workprint version" and the alternate reshoot beginning with Bridget Fonda. Since the additional scene with Sheila being stripped isn't present in this version, it's because Raimi didn't want it there.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
So... MGM's AoD looks like the clear winner, since I don't have a region free player, I have to redo my thinking on it.
You can pick up a Cyberhome 300 (?) DVD player from Best Buy for less than $40, this player has an accessible service menu that lets you change the region.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks