What's new

Best vampire movies (1 Viewer)

Josh.C

Second Unit
Well it's the earliest one I know of. Either way, it is one of the firsts, and the foundation of the Dracula movies IMO.

JC

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mentioned in this thread: Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922) and made at the same time with the same sets but different casts (and in Spanish) Draculá, with a different lead character who was equally (if not more so) effective.

Additionally there was Kiss of a Vampire (1916) and Drakula halala (1923) which was taken directly from Bram Stoker’s novel.

Your opinion is fine—you just need to see a few more movies.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Always looking for additional movies to add to my Netflix list.

Nosferatu (1922) seems to be a favorite of many of the genre. Haven't heard much about Kiss of a Vampire, but I'm willing to give it a try. I typically don't go for films that old, which is why Dracula (1931) is the only "golden oldy" on my list. It mostly held special meaning to me because I watched it as a kid, and Lugosi's character personified Dracula in my mind.

You can tell by my list that I'm much more into the newer vampire flicks, that veer far from the original Dracula films. I'm still willing to give the older films you mentioned a look.

Thanks for the recommendations.

JC

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d pass on a them Josh except for Nosferatu and Vampyr unless you just want to be more aware of the history of these films.

Make sure you put the ’31 Spanish version of Dracula on your list—I’m not saying that you will replace Bella Lugosi as your benchmark, but this version is much less of a compromise (compared to Stoker’s tale) than is the version in English.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Bela Lugosi is the MAN portraying Dracula. Everyone else WANTED to be Lugosi. A pity the script for 1931's Dracula was kind of strange.

Bram Stoker's Dracula comes in a very close second, due to Gary Oldman.

1979's Dracula with Frank Langella brought up the seductive power of the vampire, which I thought was pretty well done. I was a little disappointed with the lack of a Slavic accent, however.

The Hunger was kind of surreal, but cool at the same time. Catherine Deneuve (sp?) was likewise seductive and irresistable, something that abounds in vampire lore.

Fright Night was damned cool, with the twist of no one believing the horror film geek about the real vampire next door!

Underworld was interesting, reminding me of the Vampire: The Masquerade role playing game. Kate Beckinsale too matronly?

Kindred: The Embraced - there's a series that had all the right performers, the tension between characters, and a pretty charismatic lead. Cancelled way too soon by idiots. This series was created by the maker of Vampire: The Masquerade.

Forever Night - A vampire atoning for his crimes by becoming a homicide detective? Another good one cancelled too soon by idiots.

Speaking of vampire movies, can anyone recommend good ones from Hammer films available on DVD? Unfortunately, I have never seen any of those, and I love Christopher Lee!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I remember seeing this and can only recall that I liked it very much. Also terrific was a version of Dracula broadcast on PBS with Louis Jordan. He was a sensual and sexy Dracula.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Overall Best Vampire film = Horror of Dracula (1958)

Best Golden age (B&W) Vampire film = Dracula (1931)

Best Modern age Vampire Film = Near Dark (1987)

Best Foreign language (or dubbed) Vampire film = tie - Black Sunday (1960) and The Wurdalak (1963)

Best silent vampire film = Nosferatu (1922)

Best Made-For-TV Vampire film = Dracula (1973)

Best Van Helsing film = Brides of Dracula (1960)

Best Dracula sequel = tie - Dracula Prince of Darkness (1965) and Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968)

Best non-Dracula Hammer Vampire film = Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

Best Lesbian vampire film = tie - The Vampire Lovers (1970) and The Hunger (1983)

Best Gay Vampire film = Interview With A Vampire (1994)

Best looking/visuals in a Vampire film = Bram Stokers Dracula (1992)

Best decapitation in a vampire film = Twins of Evil (1971)

That's all I can think of for now.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Excellent lists! To the wonderful films you've all mentioned I'd like to add two more from Hammer Studios. "Brides Of Dracula" (1960) was the first sequel to "Horror Of Dracula" but instead of Christopher Lee had David Peel as a Dracula protoge. Once again Peter Cushing was Van Helsing. "Kiss Of The Vampire" (1963) featured a vampire cult and was one of the few Hammer vampire films unrelated to the mythology of Dracula.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
One of my all time personal favourites is "Mr. Vampire" (Geung si sin sang) HK 1985. Vampirisim, eastern style. Fresh, original and funny, starring the Peter Cushing of HK, the late great Lam Ching. Essentially a horror comedy, but executed with such inventiveness and imagination it comes off like a period Chinese "Ghostbusters".

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
While reading about some of these films at the IMDB I came across Vampire Circus (1972).
Sounds intriguing. It's set in 19th Century Europe, but is only available from Great Britain.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention one of the starngest, and weirdest vampire films of all time.

VAMPIRES KISS. I believe it was released in 1988. Nic Cage is an absolute nut in this film, after he believes he is transformed into a vampire. Jennifer Beals is the vapire mistress(Very sexy) that transforms him. His actions in the film especially toward the end, are more like watching a full blown paranoid schizophrenic walking the streets of New York raving about being a vampire. This movie is a lot of fun. I highly recommend the dvd, which has some great audio commentary by Cage, and the Director.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Henry,
Vampire Circus is indeed a very good film. One of the best Hammer Horror films that I have seen.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The best vampire film of the 90's is The Night Flier. The story, adapted from a Stephen King tale, is very unique of it's genre. Turning a short story into a feature film isn't always the easiest thing to do, but this film doesn't fall into any of the traps typical of such adaptations.

Miguel Ferrer is sheer perfection as sleazy reporter, Richard Dees. Ferrer has always been a favorite of mine, and he successfully makes Dees the most compelling antihero since the likes of Snake Plissken and Richard Chance came onto the scene in the early 80's. He owns this film and delivers what is perhaps his best performance to date. The film boasts one hell of an ending too.

I also really enjoy Larry Fessenden's Habit, which seems to be quite the acquired taste. Most people I've come across have hated this one. Their loss I suppose.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
my favorite Dracula wil always be Christopher Lee. Those bloodshot eyes show evil.

The Hunger has the greatest 10 opening minutes for a vampire film before it starts going downhill from there.

Underworld is the best Vampire action film I have seen.

I am surprised no one has mention Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter yet. fantastic film.

CoreyII

Second Unit
I don't know if animation counts but there is a really wonderful anime series called "Hellsing" which puts a really interesting twist on the vampire lore.

Then there is Joss Whedon's "Angel" which I found far more enjoyable than Buffy The Vampire.

As far as movies goes, I'll have to go with Blade and Blade II. I know both films are obvious answers but I really enjoyed both movies, even the third is entertaining. I still think the first Blade is the best Batman film I have ever seen and the best Batman film that David Goyer has ever written.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I would also like to add Vamp from 1986 with Grace Jones, and Chris Makepeace. I've had it on dvd for a few years, but never watched it until last week. On HBO in the late 80's I seen it a few times, but over the years had forgotten completely about it, so when I watched it on dvd, it was quite different than what I remembered. Very good vampire flick.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
Awww... no one mentioned John Carpenter's Vampires (not that they necessarily should have, mind you). Support your local Baldwin, people!

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Underworld 1&2 - I like the style of these. Removing the need to feed off humans was a good idea and makes sense that they'd pursue that kind of science so they can remain independent of and hidden from us in modern times. I really got the impression they live in their own nighttime world separate from ours. Plus Kate Beckinsale is hot and there's lots of action.

Interview w/t Vampire - People seem to be hot or cold on this one. I think its got a unique story and interesting mythology. However, I read the 2nd-4th books long before I saw the movie which is based on the first book. Knowing Lestat's backstory probably helps my enjoyment a bit.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - I don't care for some of the acting, but the better actors make up for that. I thought the romance angle was an interesting take on it. Overall a good story and for me that's really important in any movie.

Near Dark - Haven't seen it in many years, but I recall liking it a lot when I did.

No mention of Blackula? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks