What's new

Best use of music in a movie (1 Viewer)

Mattias Stridsman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattias
The last song in Adaptation (during the flower sequence).

The opening music in The Two Towers. Sets the tone perfectly.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
My short list...

Lost Highway-Rammstein song during the motel sequence & Marilyn Manson song during the strip scene,
The Royal Tenenbaums-Elliot Smith song during the wrist cutting scene,
Almost Famous-Tiny Dancer sing along on the tour bus,
Susperia-Goblin soundtrack,

and many, many more...some already mentioned.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Glory -charging Fort Wagner
The Wild Bunch- That mexican song that's being played when they do their slow walk near the end.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-Ennio Morricone use of music near the end, very cool.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I should've mentioned Kieslowski's Blue. It's such an essential component of the whole movie (in particular all the scenes where the music suddenly hits Julie).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't think there's ever been a more effective, more famous, more imitated, and more lampooned piece of music than the strings in Psycho.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Best use of music in a film:

-Psycho
-Jaws
-Star Wars (entire saga)
-opening sequence in Gladiator
-E.T.
-Braveheart (this film could be silent, with the music telling the story it is such a good score. Why oh why did it not get an Oscar?)

AJG

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Pretty much everything in Amadeus, but especially the use of Mozart's Requiem in the end sequence of the film...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I fully agree with the whole of Star Wars.

How about the use of Layla in Goodfellas (the slow montage showing the hits)? Or for that matter the operatic music whilst showing the final mayhem at the operahouse at the end of G3?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Pretty much everything in Amadeus, but especially the use of Mozart's Requiem in the end sequence of the film...
Absolutely. Magnificent use of magnificent music.

There've been some great ones mentioned. I don't know if these are the best, but here are some others I'd have to include:

Fellowship of the Ring: Boromir's last stand (especially in the Extended Edition); the music swells as he continues fighting as the arrows keep hitting him.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: "I found him." "Where?" "There!!" Full-blown fanfare of the Raiders March bursts in as Indy pulls himself up onto the sub. Just a great rousing moment.

Have to agree on the Coens as well. Brilliant choice of music in their films.

And also, as others have said, the entire score for the original Star Wars trilogy is a masterpiece, but two of the standouts for me are the asteroid sequence from Empire, and the moment where Luke finally snaps in Jedi: "If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will." "NEVER!!" Music swells.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Apparently, I'm the only one to like the score of Magnolia. Especially the "Showtime" piece, remind me of Ravel's Bolero...
It really set to tone for the entire movie...
You can listen to a 20sec sample on Amazon

Cheers,

Vincent

Shaun

Second Unit
Conan The Barbarian, more so than the above mentioned Braveheart. This score is used to tell the story and is regarded by many as one of the best and most effective.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Wes Anderson is excellent at choosing tunes for his flicks, he always manages to use obscure, cool-sounding songs.

GoodFellas - Particularly "Sunshine of Your Love" when they 1st suggest how paranoid Jimmy is after the Lufthansa heist.

Third Man - I've heard that the musical score was written before the film was shot to set the tone.

Yojimbo - Opening scenes w/that wonderfully overdramatic Japanese orchestra.

Out of Sight - Opening scenes where Jack storms out of the ofc bldg & throws his tie.

RoboCop - Basil Poledouris strikes again!

Black Hawk Down - "Suspicious Minds & "Voodoo Chile" - NEVER liked Elvis but good use of his tune. Also wish they'd used the orig Hendrix track.

Chinatown & LA Confidential

Beetlejuice & Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Brazil

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
In Your Eyes in Say Anything

That song will forever be linked in my mind with the image of Lloyd holding up a Boom Box.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
chris_m_white, dead on. One of the best scenes in modern film.

No one's mentioned Moulin Rouge. The first time Christian sings to Satine is just magic, as is the Elephant Medley. And the end credits song (Bolero).

If anyone knows where I could get the Boromir's Last Stand from the EE, PM my sorry behind.

Take care,
Chuck

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Lizzie West's "Chariots Rise" in Secretary.

The orchestral score in Last of the Mohicans during the meadow massacre scene.

The overture for Stargate. In some respects, the movie didn't live up to that opening piece! (Though I do like the film.)

Modern English's "I Melt With You" in Valley Girl.

And, of course, John Williams' "Duel of the Fates" for the lightsaber battle in Phantom Menace..

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
The musical selections in Forrest Gump.

I really like how they picked songs that were:

a.) from the time period represented in the movie, and

b.) very pertinent to what was going on in the movie.

Some examples are "Fortunate Son" as he heads off to Vietnam, "Sweet Home Alabama", as he comes home to Alabama, and "Running on Empty" as he embarks on his cross-country odyssey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks