Best TV size for viewing distance of 9 feet?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott Stephens, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

i'm thinking of getting a widescreen RPTV soon. i've got a viewing distance of 8-9 feet from optimal viewing position...what's the best size TV for this? i know there's a formula, but i can't remember it.

i was thinking in terms of maybe a 51" screen, but i'm afraid this would be too big. also, i may be moving in the next 6 months so my viewing distance could potentially increase.

what would be the best thing to do?

2. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

I believe the formula most often referred to is 1" of screen for every 2" of distance away. If you're 8.5 feet away, that's 102". Half of that is 51". So a 51" screen would probably be fine. All I can tell you is that my sitting distance is about the same as yours, and I have a 46" RPTV. I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm sure I could have gone a bit bigger without any problems. You'll hear from some folks who say nothing is too big.

Good luck.

Tom

3. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

thanks tom. i think now as long as a 51" is OK for my current viewing position, i would err on the side of larger since most likely when i move i will have a greater viewing distance (the house i live in now has a small living room). but i also have looked at the 46" and if i wasn't moving soon, i think this would be more than adequate for my current viewing position.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Scott, I would agree with 51-55".

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

There are similar formulas but it will eventually come down to what you feel suits best.

For my 57" HDTV screen, I'm about 12-13 feet away. Any closer then I begin to feel it a bit big and so forth.

6. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I would recommend 46" or 51". One plus about the 51" size is you won't need a stand , while most 46" sets are tabletop and require a short stand, usually overpriced for what you get but they match the TV and can store a couple components. I sit 8' from my Sony 46" and feel it is fine. 46" models from Toshiba and Sony have come down to around $1300.00. The 51" sets go for around $1600. Stands are around $170 or so, for the 46" models. The 46" Toshiba had been on sale recently for $999.

7. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

That's what I bought - the Toshiba 46H84. I paid $997. I'm very happy with it, and 8-9 feet away seems just about right for me.

Tom

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

51-57 is a good recommendation. I sit back 10 feet from my 55" and its perfect.