What's new

Best TV line up...ever! (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I watched a lot of TV throughout the 80's. Don't recall exact years, but I remember these lineups and the days.

Sunday on NBC:

Silver Spoons - Punky Brewster

- I remember being pissed when Silver Spoons was pre-empted by football (as I was not a fan at the time).

Tuesday on ABC:

Who's The Boss? - Growing Pains - Moonlighting

Thursday on NBC:

The Cosby Show - Family Ties - Cheers

Thursday on CBS:

Magnum PI - Simon & Simon

- A lot on Thursday back then

Also, the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera on Sunday mornings

Yogi's Treasure Hunt - Paw Paws - Galtar - Jonny Quest

- I used to think that the TGIF gimmick on ABC took the idea from that.

And don't get me started on Saturday morning cartoons, because there is just so much to mention.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Oh, Garrett, that is so great!

That is, of course, the schedule from WNBT New York, the nation's first commercial television station, for its first week of regular programming. July 1, 1941 was also the day that NTSC officially became the nation's standard for broadcast television. The Dodgers-Phillies game (Philadelphia 6, Brooklyn 4) that Tuesday featured another bit of television history - the first (legal*) television commercial. The top of the game featured a spot for Bulova watches, with a giant clock superimposed on a map of America. Bulova paid $9.00 to reach WNBT's roughly 4,000 potential viewers. (That's about how many television sets were within the reach of the WNBT signal.)

WNBT is now WNBC, still flagship of the NBC television network, still headquarted at 30 Rock. WNBC is technically the nation's oldest continuously operating commercial television station. The FCC's original plan was to have the NBC- and CBS-owned New York stations to go on the air at exactly the same time, so that neither network would have bragging rights to this important first, but CBS ran into some last-minute glitches and didn't manage to get on the air until an hour after the agreed-upon start time, which NBC had met.

Regards,

Joe

* Apparently an experimental Boston TV station did air a paid commercial on one of its broadcasts - and was promptly fined by the brand-new FCC because they didn't have a license to carry commercials. The first such license was issued to RCA (which owned NBC) for WNBT, and the second went to CBS for its New York TV station.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

Saturday Morning Cartoons in late 60's.

Johnny Quest

Space Ghost

The Herculoids

Rocky and Bulkwinkle

George of the Jungle

Mighty Mouse

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Yogi Bear

Quick Draw McGraw

Magilla Gorilla

Ricochet Rabbit

Atom Ant

Bravo! I watched all of them at one time or another. :)

MarkWK

Agent
Friday Nights on ABC in the late 60's to early 70's was must watch TV for this little 10 year old: The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Room 222, The Odd Couple and Love American Style.

Mark

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Joe, thanks for the detailed backstory. I was aware that this represented the first commercial television broadcast, but that was about all I knew. As Paul Harvey would say, "and now you know the rest of the story."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, as a college kid, our local Fox had a great Saturday lineup..

Batman The Animated Series

X-Men Animated

Eek! The Cat

Animaniacs

The Tick Animated

That was always a great morning. X-Men Animated was great stuff, and a great pair with Batman:TAS, and The Tick was a great way to end the morning.. damn I loved that show "SPOOOOON!"

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I might have to go with 1965-66 Wednesdays:

Lost in Space (CBS)

Beverly Hillbillies (CBS)

Green Acres (CBS)

Dick Van Dyke Show (CBS)

I Spy (NBC)

But Friday that year was good too:

Wild, Wild, West (CBS)

Hogan's Heroes (CBS)

Gomer Pyle (CBS)

Peyton Place (ABC)

The Man From UNCLE (NBC)

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

Saturday Morning Cartoons in late 60's.

Johnny Quest

Space Ghost

The Herculoids

Rocky and Bulkwinkle

George of the Jungle

Mighty Mouse

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Yogi Bear

Quick Draw McGraw

Magilla Gorilla

Ricochet Rabbit

Atom Ant

I was born in '59, I still mention to people today how when I was a kid Saturday morning was truly a magical time. I was always a kid who liked to sleep in but I was up early and bright eyed and bushy tailed for Saturday morning cartoons.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JimKr
I was born in '59, I still mention to people today how when I was a kid Saturday morning was truly a magical time.

I think most people feel that way though. I think Saturday morning cartoons are terrible today but in a decade, there will be teenagers and people in their early 20's saying "Man, the cartoons when I was a kid were so great and the ones today are terrible."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I think Saturday morning cartoons are terrible today but in a decade, there will be teenagers and people in their early 20's saying "Man, the cartoons when I was a kid were so great and the ones today are terrible."
I agree. The line-up from weekdays(after school) was pretty phenomenal in 1985:

4:00-THUNDERCATS

4:30-G.I.JOE

5:00-TRANSFORMERS

This is the model for my greatest nostalgic memories.

Janiece805

Auditioning
Real Name
Janine Smith
^^^ much agreed! glad to have been a child in those times. i think as an adult must see tv for me was NBC'S lineup of seinfeld, ER, will and grace and Friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks