What's new

Best three Worst three Need three (1 Viewer)

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Thanks Dan! :)

Is this the Chris Nolan remake or the original version with Stellan Skarsgård that is available on Criterion? I haven't seen both but always meant to catch them someday.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen the orginal Insomnia, but the Chris Nolan one was awesome. I have read reviews saying that remake is one of the few that is actually better then the source. You should definently get Christopher Nolan's Insomnia.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I want to play too!

Scott F collection

Best
- Bull Durham
- Citizen Kane
- The Godfather Collection

Worst
- Bandits
- The Count of Monte Cristo
- The Missing
I'm just being picky since you have a good collection personally.

Needs
- Total Recall
- The Running Man
I see that you have some Arnie's movies, so the above two are good too.
- Traffic Criterion Collection

Andreas_CH_M

Auditioning
Real Name
Andreas Magnusson
For LorenzoL:
Interesting, yet so very difficult...

Best:
Princess Bride (a classic to me)
Looney Tunes Golden Collection
Akira

Worst (seems like filler, cause almost all of 'em are good):
Chasing Amy (never ticked with me)
Basic Instinct
Men in Black (even though I have it myself)

Need:
Spirited away, an easy choice that I'm surprised you don't have.
Emperors New Grove (one of my favourite new Disney movies).
More Buffy (at least season 2 also)

Have fun!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
For Andreas:
Best
Attack the Gas Station (awesome movie)
Donnie Darko (great blind buy of mine)
Farscape (an absolute FAVORITE of mine :D :emoji_thumbsup: )

Worst
Demolition Man
Top Secret
Godzilla (I have it too :b)

Need
Evil Dead, You have part 2, no need the original!
Angel any/all seasons, you seem to like Buffy, so this is a must!
Pulp Fiction, need this as a companion to Resovoir Dogs
Also Think you'd like JSA- Joint Security Area

I think you're Bebop box is a boot, it looks like a set I see pop up in the warning's about boots....

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
For Chris:

Best:
Superman
Se7en
Memento

Worst:
Batman and Robin
Matrix: Reloaded
8Mile

Need:
Rear Window
Life is Beautiful
Airplane!

Bryan

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, I admit, I am not happy with my first round of advisement in the needs section, so I'm seeking another round, but first ...

Andreas_CH_M titles:

Problem with -

Men in Black II (thoroughly enjoyed the first in concept, but couldn't even finish the second)
Die Hard II (I'm with some others on this. It was an ok action film, and although I own it to complete the set, Harlin did to this sequel what Mostow did to Terminator III, less the horrible acting. Some interesting tie ins, but these were definately made for the quick sell hollywood crap as of late)
Minority Report (Interesting journey, neat concept, poor scripting and less than par directing. Love Spielberg too. This was a disappointment for me.)

Loved -

Gattaca Very little refinement needed for this sci fi film.
Band of Brothers A no-brainer if not down right "typical" favorite release for quite a few. Add me. Great movement, story, action, drama, feel ... what else can I say?
Spirited Away What a journey .. and for all ages. I enjoy sci fi, fantasy genre stories and this one hits all angles that just takes one away.

Andreas, you have a great collection, some of which I have not yet seen to be completely fair with my choices. I'll try to make up for it on the recommendations.

1) an obvious classic sci fi title comes to mind relating to the question, who are we? .. what explains our existence? .. not to get too stupid, but I'm surprised to see your lack of Blade Runner, which is somewhat of a disappointment seeing how strong, rather, deep some of your sci fi interests are.

2) Von Trier's Element of Crime may be a reach for you, but it ties with a more deep seeded, dark, sci fi noir thriller film that you might want to give a try. Either love it or hate it, it's worth a see.

(3) seems like you might be testing out the dark humor edginess with movies such as Attack at the Gas Station. If so, try out some of Miike's work outta Japan. His stuff is a bit warped, but it's usually to a point, inclusive of some humor. Audition is a good intro into Miike's world without getting too weirded out. The rest is up to you, but it's a fascinating story which really creeps up on you in the end. Won't get into this one too much as I wouldn't want to ruin it by giving any preview into it. Rent it sometime if you have yet to see it and do not, and I really mean, do not read up on any previews before seeing it. Wouldn't want to ruin the type of story that it is. You should be able to handle it knowing your collection.

Regards ...

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Chris .. you rock, dude. JSA ... simply loved this film even with the ending as it was. Not unexpected though. Great recommedation for anyone with an appreciation for film.

By the way, hope you get around to reviewing my collection knowing your tastes in foreign film ... in other words ....? heh. Give it a whirl and I'll be fair.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Ok Will Here goes!
BTW: JSA, is a great movie, I also think it's a good film to use as an introduction to Asian films, not sure why but it seems like one that is easy to get wrapped up in regardless of where you are from.

Best: This isn't easy, you have a lot of excellent titles.
City of Lost Children (one of my first forays into foreign cinema, along with Delicatessan)
Infernal Affairs (AMazing, what else can I say)
Battle Royale (THe current Holy Grail of Japanese cinema)

Worst:
The Black Hole (I like it, but it did not age well at all)
Deep Blue Sea (I have it, but can hardly watch it anymore..)
Deuce Bigalow (Rob Schneider, what else can I say)

Needs: This is tough, you have a lot of the ones I'd recommend....
The Last Temptation of Christ Criterion. You seem to like thought provoking material and this is good at that.
Running on Karma, I'm sure you're familiar with this one ;)
Gof of Cookery, makes a good companion for Shaolin Soccer.

Hey, you have Series 7, saw it in the theater, cool film. Thinking of getting it real cheap from dddhouse.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Dan,
I feel the need to go back and respond to your picks for me.
First off, I love all 3 of the best picks you chose!
Second for the worst, I loved Six String Samurai, it was weird, bizarre, quirky, right up my alley :D
Kung Pow, not sure what it is, but this dung always makes me laugh.....
Thumb Wars, not sure about this one either, but it is just so out there it had to be mine.

The 3 needed: You're right I do need all 3 of those, I'm assuming by The Mission, you mean the Asian film and not the DeNiro? (I should probably get both)
Twilight Samurai, I've been giving that serious thought, funds are low at the moment though...
:D

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I knew you would come through .. thanks! I agree, JSA is a very tangible film for anyone, regardless of culture. I look forward to adopting more Korean titles into my collection after this and Musa. So many films so little time.

Series 7 I saw for the first time last weekend. Picked up a used copy for $5 - nice. And I have to say .. for a B stock shot film, it was an extremely interesting premise that I can definately get into even when considering it's morbid plot. It's so effed up, but contextually, it hits a lot of points that I could see becoming reality some day .. and scarily, accepted no less. But then again, it is just what it is .. a film .. one that hits the extremes of our socialogical, even contemporary times. What's even more interesting about this DVD are the extras and the spin the cut scenes put on what you see during the story and what really is reality. Funny thing is, I rarely watch extras, but for some reason, this title pulled it outta me. Bravo USA network for financing this one. It is a film that I would recommend to anyone for comtemplation, whether one likes it or not .. you have to take it for what it is .. a message of sorts .. where things either could very well be heading and whether or not it should be. As disgusting as it is. It's a far cry from the mindless dribble most Hollywood orientated films are as of late. Oh well .. back to the overseas titles.

Haven't seen Running on Karma and have no idea. I'll check into it. God of Cookery, huh? After Chow's Shaolin Soccer, I'll definately give it a spin. Have to love the softer pure entertainment value from time to time.

Peace

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Will,
Running on Karma is an excellent movie starring Andy Lau (in a muscle suit :eek: ) and Cecelia Cheung and directed by Johnnie To (Full Time Killer, also very good)

God of Cookery is a fun movie to, takes a twist on the Iron Chef idea.

I saw Series 7, wow, seems like a long time ago, at the local arthouse. At first I felt kinda dirty after watching it, made my skin crawl at how close we are to having something like this. FWIW, I am not a fan of reality TV and avoid all those Survivor, Who wants to marry.... type shows, I'll take a bad drama or sitcom anyday. Just give me a show with actors and people who try to write an interesting show, not those shallow annoying people on reality tv... ugh :angry: :thumbsdown:

Not to derail the thread, back to the topic:
This is very cool.
Will, I think you should give my list a whirl.... :D

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
heh ... yeah, i occasionally check your collection out for new ideas. it's a good resource .. but i like to think that i have some originality .... lol.

i'm with ya on the reality tv nonsense .. just that. it's all scripted "reality" soap operas .. mindless bs that "sheeple" follow. the stuff often amazes me because at work, i often hear certain groups of people rambling on about the latest shows like it was driving their existance. i admittedly watched the first series of Survivor and thought it was mildly interesting, but after the preview of most of the other "reality" junk, i just realized that it was just another abused marketing angle for network tv. chumps. i don't fault people for their acquired interest of reality tv, because it is and simply, entertainment, but the acceptance level of what transpires is what i do despair. the more skewed and desensitized that these reality shows make people, the closer we as humans become to accepting a Running Man or Series 7 environment. and it's f@!&'d up because of the sheer nature of it ... parents watching their kids getting beating to death with a cane ... by a contestant .. and accepting it. reality ... could it become? who knows, but just the fact that people dream up this garbage scares me sometimes ... for instance, Battle Royale. then again, that is what is so interesting about the whole process. hopefully, it will all remain ONLY on film ....

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Interesting concept for a thread. I think Bryan Ri was the last to post who's collection has not yet been reviewed, so...

Best:
  • 25th Hour
  • Catch Me If You Can: Widescreen
  • Se7en: Platinum Series
Worst:
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • Gone in 60 Seconds
  • The Mummy Returns: Collector's Edition
Need: (based on your obvious appreciation for modern animation)
  • The Emperor's New Groove: The Ultimate Groove: Collector's Edition
  • Spirited Away
  • Toy Story: The Ultimate Toy Box: Collector's Edition

Andreas_CH_M

Auditioning
Real Name
Andreas Magnusson
A bit late after my "reviews", but I just have to thank 'ChrisBEA' and 'Bryan Ri' for their tips on more interesting Korean film. And Chris, I think you might be right about Cowboy Bebop. I bought it through a "shop" on amazon.com so I thought it to be legit (the packaging seems professional and all), but when you mention it, $36 for that is perhaps too good to be true. Well, I pledge the case of being an ignorant Swede (just this once :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I was skipped the first time, so I'll go again....

Nils Luehrmann

Best:
- The Sweet Hereafter
- Once Upon A Time In America
- 12 Monkeys: CE

...and 100's of other great movies. :eek:

Worst:
- Emmanuelle Collection (couldn't get rid of it, but removed it from my profiler collection anyway)
- 2 Days In The Valley (thought this was a bad Pulp Fiction wannabe, maybe I'll check it out again)
- Sphere

Need:
- The Passion Of Joan Of Arc
You have two movies on Joan and a couple of silent movies, so why not try this gem?
- The Rules Of The Game
Or didn't you like Grand Illusion?
- Once Upon A Time In The West
Brilliant movie, and great (and cheap) dvd.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Mark_vdh:
Best: You have a lot of excellent films, I am envious of your Criterions!
Irreversible (the first movie to make me ill)
Grave of the Fireflies (Incredibly moving)
Delicatessen (I want this!)

Worst:
STephen King's The Shining (didn't care for this mini)
Frequency (it was OK, I'm just being picky)
Exotica (Saw it once years ago and was bored)

Needs: Let me recommend a few more:
Onibaba Criterion
Naked Lunch Criterion
Le Corbeau Criterion

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Andrea, thanks for the compliments. Asian cinema opens up a whole new world of great and different films, you should try swimming over to the Asian Cinema on DVD thread. Lot's of great titles listed in there!

As for the bebop, i almost bought that same set awhile back, until I found out the truth. Made kind of upset cuz I really wanted it, but I also refuse to support boots. I have half the run now, I still need sessions 2,4,6. deepdiscountdvd.com has the best prices on the volumes.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm not sure who's collection to review, i'm just going to post a link to mine, and hopefully someone can inform me whose to look at (specifically, since I look at many).

The Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks