What's new

Best three Worst three Need three (2 Viewers)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hey Zen got skipped...

No problem, was hoping for an excuse to go again :b

Best:
X-Files Season 1-8 and Movie, dudeI am envious of that.
Martin You so Crazy: very funny, saw it a t a repertory theatre twice!
The Prophecy. sold mine picture quality was SO BAD. but darn I love that movie

Worst:
This was hard as I liked all you had that I have seen. So make my worse list based on what I would NOT see even as a rental.
Sugar and Spice... actually saw it, cute but to own?
Down with love... sorry no interest
Bend It Like Beckham ... again no interest.

Need:
You like TV on DVD then you have to give in and get the Star Trek TNG. I only have season 1 myself but I can't hold out much longer. you seem to want them yet no Trek movies? What gives?
You have Terminator 3 but NOT the first 2? NO SOUP FOR YOU! Get them, both have great SEs
looking at Prophecy, Dark City and the like, you might want to try older Carpenter movies like Prince of Darkness and while you are at it 7th sign for another "religious" undertone suspense flick.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I did Adam cuz the ones after him are locked out by DVDProfiler.

Best
Jackie Brown
Spellbound (BRAVO!!! I want this)
Overall nice selection of Criterions

Worst
Hot Chick (part of an apparent Rob Schneider fetish???)
Center Stage
Death to Smoochy

Need
Silence of the Lambs (Criterion, because you seem to be a fan)
Simpsons sets
Night of the Living Dead Millenium Edition (to go with your Day of the Dead)

You would also probably dig "The Wicker Man." Props for one of my favorites, "Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys."

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
I knew I should have removed Center Stage from my list it, it was just to easy. It is my girlfriends (seriously, no, SERIOUSLY!)

It hurts to see one of my favorite movies under worst though. I LOVE Death to Smoochy. I think I have seen that movie a good 15-20 times. And the Hot Chick does suck.

For Jamie Cole,

BEST:

Alien Quad
Blow Out (barebones DVD, but my FAVORITE Travolta performance!!)
LOTR (both extended versions)

WORST:

Holes
Mothman Prophecy (hated this movie)
Xanadu! (what were you thinking??)

NEEDS:

Spirited Away (I think you'd dig it)
Blow Up (to go with Blow Out)
Escape From NY:SE (I see you share the love for Carpenter)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
For Ben Ricci:

Best:

Brazil
Do The Right Thing
The Godfather

Worst:

Vulgar
The Wedding Singer
Drawing Flies

And Vulgar and Drawing Flies aren't because I'm anti-Kevin Smith or anything: I'm a really big fan of his. It's just that I think both Vulgar and Drawing Flies are simply terrible movies that seem to have only gotten any sort of distribution because the people know Kevin.

Needs:

True Romance Special Edition--that regular edition you have is just..it's very lackluster in comparison.

The Usual Suspects: Special Edition: It seems to fit in PERFECTLY with your collection, and yet it's missing.

Beetlejuice: Yeah, it's old as hell, and the PQ is lacking--but looking at your collection, it's a no brainer. Comedy AND a monster movie (of sorts), great art direction and visual design, and isolated score by Elfman? and on top of that it's like, 9 bucks everywhere.

Our collections are VERY similar, though. It was cool to see. You got nice taste.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...fatboy+roberts

That's me. Hit me off, whoever's next. Spare nothing. I know there's some older releases I'm missing (Bad PQ, flippers: Which is why I don't have Blade Runner or Goodfellas) that are either in the pipe for SE's or whatnot, but I'm sure someone can hit me in the face with a couple big "DUH's!"

which will then impact my pocketbook ;)

Hey, Great suggestions!

I am planning on eBaying my current copy of True Romance and upgrading. Usual Suspects, huh? Never seen it, maybe it's time to cue it up in Netflix. Beetlejuice is a very good possibility, I love Tim Burton (and Elfman of course).

Obviously I bought Drawing Flies and Vulgar based on the KS factor. Drawing Flies sucks, but I really enjoyed Vulgar, and the commentary is great!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Robert Anthony:

Best:
- Brazil
- Seven Samurai
- The Killer (one of my favs)

Worst:
Unfortunately we have similar guilty pleasures (Transformers, etc.) or this list would be easier...
- The Professional
- Superman 2
- Star Wars Ep.1

Need (based on your likes):
- Dog Town & Z Boys (if you like Scratch, you'll like this)
- Patton
- The Sting

I'm sure picking my 'worst three' will be very easy...

Ben Rockwell

Agent
To Robert's collection:

Best Three: (film quality) (in my opinion)

Being John Malkovich
Chinatown
Fight Club

(would be more, but the game is three, right?)

Worst Three: (film quality, again, IMO)

Matrix Reloaded
...can't find two others that I have seen that I can judge.

Need Three:

If you like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, I'm surprised you don't have Snatch in there. Other than that, it looks pretty solid to me. It seems like you've got some pretty good stuff already, and I can't think of any suggestions that I'd have.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Ben Rockwell's Collection:

3 Best:

Pulp Fiction
Magnolia
Rashomon

3 Worst:

Daredevil
From Hell
Planet of the Apes (2001) - I have this as well :)

Need:

Ikiru
The Godfather Collection
The Third Man

Ben Rockwell

Agent
Nick,

Planet of the Apes is one of those I bought and never watch. From Hell was the "free" in a buy two, get one free. Daredevil? What can I say? I have a celebrity crush on Jennifer Garner.

Oh, yeah, my girlfriend owns the Godfather collection, so I won't be needing that. Thanks for the input.

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like they skipped ya, Greg. Here's my take:

Best
Seven Samurai
Fistful of Dollars
Tora, Tora, Tora
(HM) Once Upon a Time in China

Worst
Legally Blonde
U571
Happy Gilmore
(HM) Hackers - good concept, poor execution

Needed
Well, you're into sci fi and action and have dabbled a bit into foreign, so my choices are easy:

1) Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - big budget anime sci fi film with some depth and interesting characters. Another questioning of existence type story.

2) Spirited Away - you have Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke, but not this .. hmmmm. Try it out. Great worldly story with fascinating characters .. more like an experience than a story.

3) Hard Boiled - you must know Woo's finer films if you're into action. Don't miss this one.

Sorry, but have to throw a few more honorable mentions to break the rules.

4) Joint Security Area - interesting Korean film relating to the more personal effects behind the DMZ JSA division. More of a suspense/thriller than war, but since you're into war, give it at least a rental for another perspective.

5) Gattaca - for intelligent sci fi-ness.

6) Animatrix - better put together than either of the Matrix follow ups, at least with respect to some of the episodes. Sci fi/action - check out eps. 1 - 3. It's an excellent home theater experience. Stories ain't half bad either.

Peace

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
OK, I'll throw my hat into the ring *he says as he hides his copies of "Tank Girl" and "Jawbreaker"

For Nick Sievers:

Best:
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Citizen Kane

Worst:
(kinda hard, you got a great collection, but if I have to)
Analyze This
Femme Fatale
The Mexican

Need:
Swingers - One of those movies that always seems to come up when discussing movies with people. Kind of hit or miss, people either love it or hate it, no middle ground.

Hard Boiled - Anyone who loves action and cool gun-play owe it to themselves to see this movie. I like to think of it as Art-House Violence, some of the most beautiful gun fights ever filmed. Woo at his best before he was corrupted by the American system.

The 400 Blows - Intimate portrait of youth. OK nothing new there, it's been done. But "The 400 Blows" is by far the most beautiful coming of age movie, and lets you see things though the eyes of a child.

Bryan_Sth

Agent
For Michael Flynn

I'll give it a go.
Best:
Vertigo
Once Upon a Time in America
Pulp Fiction

Worst:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Gilliam's one of my favorite directors, Depp's one of my favorite actors, I own the movie. I still don't get it :frowning: )
Superman 2
Bad Boys 2

Needs:
Brazil
Hard Boiled
12 Monkeys

Seriously, nice collection.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Taylor, I love Swingers and have been meaning to make the purchase for a while. Regarding The 400 Blows, this is more of a price issue. I absolutely adore The 400 Blows and have never seen the other two in the Antoine Doinel boxset, hopefully i'll do something about it soon. Sorry, just not a Woo fan. Even his earlier films.

Pulp Fiction seems to be getting quite a few mentions in this thread as best or need :emoji_thumbsup:, its my favorite film.

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your opinion Bryan.

I really like all of your "needed" ones (all I have to get). Anyone else who would like to throw out an evaluation, go ahead.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Greg: Thanks for the recommendations. I ALMOST bought Dogtown and Z boys when it first came out, and it's slipped my mind since. Thanks for the reminder. I'm actually mad that I missed the boat on the Patton 2 discer, too--I've picked that up and set it down a couple times (Same with the Traffic Criterion--I didn't have the money at the time, haven't been able to find it since)

I'd HAVE the Sting, but it's 4:3. Blech.

okay, here we go:

GREG R (from beautiful Portland, Oregon! BRIDGETOWN REPRESENT!!)

BEST:

The Godfather Collection
Raging Bull
Ken Burns' Jazz (QUALITY, man. Nice stuff)

WORST

Superman IV
Poison: Greatest Video Hits (did it come with a can of Aqua Net and some acidwash jeans? ;) )
Sphere (maaan. what they did to this book...)

NEED

The Two Towers Extended Edition. I see you have Fellowship, and unless that didn't do it for you, Two Towers needs to join it on your shelf.

The Last Starfighter: This thing is like, 8 bucks everywhere, and it seems to fit right in with your tastes in some 80's sci-fi. I mean, if you like Independence Day, Flash Gordon, Tron, Galaxy Quest and Lost in Space, there's no way you won't enjoy Last Starfighter.

The Thing: I know it's not anamorphic, but you've got a fair amount of John Carpenter on your list, and you can't have any Carpenter and NOT have that classic. I've seen it in 2 for 1 packages, and i don't remember the movie it's typically packed in with (I think it's 12 monkeys, usually) so you can't really go wrong, seeing as that movie isn't on your list either, and it's VERY, VERY good)

and since Michael Flynn asked:

MIKE FLYNN:

BEST

Schindler's List
Do the Right Thing
The Godfather Collection

WORST

Batman: The Movie (I know it's camp classic, but I can't get through it)
Gone in 60 Seconds (it was either this or Commando)
Point Break

That was a hard collection to judge, because you have such a GREAT collection. there were a LOT of DVD's in there I wish I had. I might print it out and take it to Best Buy next time I'm browsing with a gift card ;)

NEED:

This is REALLY tough because you have so many great flicks.

Menace II Society: I see you have Boyz N The Hood, and Menace is the companion to that. The meaner, better directed and more lasting of the two. Boyz N The Hood hasn't aged very well. The Hughes Brothers REALLY showed some promise with this flick. Their follow up, "Dead Presidents" was uneven, but in some instances some of the strongest filmmaking in the 90's. Great stuff.

Psycho: I see you have the exact same three Hitchcock classics I have: Rear Window, North by Northwest and Vertigo, and I'm slacking too (I don't own it) but really..Psycho IS a seminal horror flick, and should be up in that collection next to the other Hitchcocks--if only for the flawless Bernard Herrmann score, and Anthony Perkins layered, super-creepy performance. Just hit stop after he's captured--that psychiatrist almost kills the movie for me.

South Park: Bigger, longer and uncut: I see you have "The Ref" in there, and while that movie is acidic nastiness at it's best, South Park is possibly the best satire to come along in the last 15 years--as well as being one of the best musicals produced in the last 15 years, too. Granted, it'd sit weird next to Some Like it Hot and Snow White, but If you appreciate Denis Leary's acerbic wit, I think you might appreciate the satire in South Park.

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, I did have South Park: BL&U for a time, but traded it to a South Park completist friend who I got it from in a trade, then traded it again for my copy of Apollo 13 IIRC. And thanks for such great kudos on my collection!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Michael Flynn:

Best
American History X
Boondock Saints
Fear and Loathing CC

Worst
The Firm
Cliffhanger
Dragnet

Needed
Star Trek IV and VI
Naked Lunch
Desperado

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks