What's new

Best Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Dan Hine,
True. Maybe I should say for the price of the D.T. Reference (msrp $1800 w/ an 1800 watt amp) vs. The SVS PB4 (I believe is $2500 w/o an amp), you at least owe it to yourself to audition anything else. It is just Bass after all. I think this kind of money could be better spent on speakers.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Hmmm, I don't know. For me, a quality sub adds the most to the movie experience. Don't get me wrong, good speakers are definitely important but not the prime focus for myself. For music, well depending on the style of music it could be opposite. But if I'm throwing a party with lots of pump/slam/bam then I still want great subs first.

But a lot of money isn't needed for great speakers really. Consider that some $4500 ProAc's use about $500/pair in parts. ;)

- Dan Hine

Andrew*L

Agent

Allen, it might help to provide more detail to this question

1. At what price range?

2. What is the application? %Music vs %Movies?

3. What is the size of the room?

4. What is available in your area to listen to, and are you willing to order over the internet to audition the likes of SVS and Hsu?

Asking what the best subwoofer is, is like asking what the best speakers are...it depends.:)

Andrew*L

Agent

I agree with both these points. Forums like this help us to pinpoint, out of the thousands of choices we have in home theater equipment, a manageable number of candidates for purchasing. But, the acid test for me (especially with speakers)is to listen to them myself, with my music and movies. To me, this is part of the fun of home theater, sampling the equipment and learning first hand, how different products perform. :) In the final analysis, your own opinion is the only opinion that matters.

In reference to good herds/bad ones, how do you know when you're following a good one, or a bad one...until its too late?:eek:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

In regards to following the *bad* herd, I'll give you a hint to see if it applies:

The name is 4 letters long, begins with a B and ends with an E. If you have such gear, then there's a good chance you were following the wrong herd.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
what i meant here was if you say some company like yuisubs and they have like 4 20" subs packed into a box that runs yah like $25,000 and 1 out 300,000 HT lovers have heard of them, then i didnt really want them suggested, by famous companies i mean like something someone who doesnt know what an ohm is has heard of, i was interested in the question cause i didnt know Velodyne made really good subs like DD-18 and was wondering if another famous company which i may or may not of heard of had a really good sub without getting crazy, like an official, look normal, not a wood box that ways 5,000 pounds type of sub. I'd imagine in that particular catagory a B4-Ultra would take the cake?

Michael S

Agent
Allen--you have been given quite a variety of subs to consider by the many responders to your posting. Audition as many different kinds as you can with the kind of source material that you will mainly be using with the sub. There are many great subs out there that will do the job--and when you are auditioning them, please give the Definitive Technology Supercube Reference a try--for $1800 retail, it is not huge in size, but produces tight, fast bass that might make it down below 15 Hz and sound good with music or HT where it WILL rock your world.

Michael S.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Allen, are you looking to purchase or just getting opinions? I live right next to you in Oak Forest and have an SVS PB2+. If your interested in hearing it, LMK.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The Def Tech SCII faired pretty badly in Nousaine's standardized testing.

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm

If the performance of the DT SCII is indicative of the entire product line, I think many enthusiasts will be suspicious of the DT SCR's ability to run with the big dogs until they see some hard numbers on distortion limited output, particularly in the 15-30 Hz region.

With a 14" long throw woofer and 2 PRs, I have no doubt it can generate prodigious output levels. But how cleanly is another story entirely, and THD can only be measured with test gear, not by subjective listening tests. High THD actually sounds pleasing to certain individuals, who characterize it as a very "full" sound.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I just updated the list and added the Def Tech Supercube I as well.

Def Tech Supercube II – 96.9dB / 25hz~85dB

Def Tech Supercube I – 103dB / 25hz~78dB
-2.5dB @ 30Hz corner loaded TN's 7500ft^3 room

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I have the def tech bp7000's with built in supercube reference subs and it was the best money i have ever spent. These subs are brilliant at both music and movies. I am not as happy with the clr3000 center however. The below 35hz range is where the subs excel. You owe it to yourself to give em a listen, especially if you are in the market for main speakers as well.

Scott

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
i guess by best sub i didnt really mean the best sounding one, tight and fast as you guys have described, now that i think about it the question was directed towards the most destructive bass in the world lol.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Allen,

Feel like making a drive north? I have some earplugs I could give you and you would be welcome to experience 140dB peaks so long as I have 4 subs around the shop.

Regards & Happy Holidays,

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hey Mark...by now I'd think you'd have it down to 1 sub peaking at that:) Though I am a B4+ owner, I still like to hear other subs....One thing I'd like to do sometime (I spoke with Jeff (thebland from AVS) and may make a visit to hear his dual b-deaps...everyone speaks of "best sub" and cash...well, I bet IF room conditions are poor, big bucks subs are NOT going to help you...the room makes it happen...and far as SPL's go, I've hit the high side, and knocked plenty of things off the walls, crooked pictures, and cats scattering etc...fun stuff! Mark, any b-deaps in northern MN that you know of? ps...what Hz you hitting that at? tom

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
oooooooo Mark, i've got a condo/penthouse whatever you wanna call it downtown, do not think i wont come. If we can bring the van around and sneak the subs into a basement of an abandoned apartment building and bring the whole foundation down i'll buy the 4 of them and take you to Fanga Da Chow! :emoji_thumbsup:

im lookin for something that if we put it in the middle of a desert and watched saving private ryan it would send shockwaves for miles, toss dirt into the air, crack the ground, 9.1 on thee ole ricter.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator

Allen, don't you mean Fogo de Chao - the Brazillian place?

Fanga Da Chow however not as bad sounding as Creme of Sum Yun Guy ;)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Off topic: That was is waaaaaaay over priced and I dine out alot around Chicago. $9 for an average glass of wine and $47 per person. Pretty good food though, but I won't go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks