What's new

Best Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
For music, Rel or ACI. For movies, plenty of great ones out there, start with the ones from HSU or SVS.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Hi, Allen.
There are plenty to choose from. Lucky us!!!
From the well known "famous companies", you have the likes of: M&K, Velodyne, B&W, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, Boston Acoustics & Tannoy to the less well known like PSB, Paradigm, Energy to the more obscure like: SVS, HSU, Revel, ServoDrive & Acoustic Visions.

Keep in mind lesser known and obscure does not equate to an inferior sub and in some cases the opposite is true. I am sure I have left out some other very good choices so I'll let the rest of the members chime in.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to you all.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the Def. Tech. Super Cube Reference and Super Cube I. The Reference was given a 99 rating by DVD etc. This sub will kill any SVS out there.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll vote for 15" Velodyne's on being most cost effective.

Best is rough, a sub usually does its job at reference type levels or it doesn't.

Specs don't always tell the story either, some subs sound good at reference type levels,and others just don't.

I like the bargain 12" AR s112ps subs. They don't have the greatest specs, but they play dang loud and hard before they start to break up. To me they seem to push just as well, as the $400 or so 12" JBL subs for less than half the cost. (heck I even scored one recently for like $120 to include in an entire HT system as an xmas present)

Good luck on your subwoofer experience!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

No it won't. I LOVE Def Tech speakers. The best complete setup I've heard to date used them...seriously. But their subs? I'm not too impressed compared to certain others I've heard. Oh yeah, the sub that was used in the 7.1 Def Tech system? An SVS...of course I brought over my DVC12". :)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'd like to see a head to head test with it compared to an Ultra, PB2, B4, etc. Thats quite a bold statement.:rolleyes

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

BOLD? I would go a lot further than that, but in the spirit of Christmas, I won't.

Thank you, Kyle for showing us your restraint. You are a classy guy, as always.

Kudos on the debut of the new Everest with build in amp and the upcomming CES demo.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Well I have to chime in here being a previous Def Tech owner even though its been awhile. I think your statement needs to have some background before you say such a thing. By looking at when you joined this forum (very recently.) It appears to me that you made a purchase (the cube) and do what alot of folks here do wanting to make sure or justify that you made the best buy out there. I won't get into the whats better in this post but I will just say that your dead wrong without some support to back your statement up. I have not been in the same room with a Def. Tech. cube and a comparible SVS but have heard them both. Actually the new Def. Techs I listened to very recently at a higher end shop nearby. I can't make a statement like you without having them side by side but I can tell you this from just observations in different listening environments. I'd place my money without hesitation on the SVS on any shootout!

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like to point out just one magazine's reviews, but it's my point of reference. Check out the April 2003 issue of DVD ETC. they review 18 subs.Back then the Velodyne HGS-18 THX Ultra II was the #2 sub. The #1 honors went to the Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s. The #3 went to the Def. Tech. Super Cube 1.Then the Super Cube Reference made it's debut and they reviewed it in the Nov.2003 issue and they said it blew away everything else. It attained a 99 rating only because the power cord couldn't be switched.
I've also heard SVS compared to the Reference and it was no contest. Def. Tech!
I think there's been so many postings on SVS that people are unwilling to look at anything else. Just a follow the crowd mentality.People should audition more than one sub and judge by their own ears. Even if they don't like Def. Tech. they owe it to themselves to listen to more than one or two manufactures before making a decision.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
hehe, i own the deftech supercube reference right now, and i can say with an open invitation to listen that it will own you. at times its too much. its like having a 2000 HP engine in a honda civic... (the civic being my and the rest of my theatre).

it is a very nice sub. but the true test is, it disappears with my magnepans. (any magnepan owner, or someone who has listened to maggies knows this is VERY hard to do.) ive seen people go through several subs before finding one that doesnt stick out. rel's are one of the few that can. but they dont have a ton of slam for HT (but are perfect for music).

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
"I've also heard SVS compared to the Reference and it was no contest. Def. Tech!"

Could you be more vague?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Well, I'm a strict DIY'er myself. Because I've been there and done that with speakers and subs. Boston Acoustics subs? Been there. Def Tech subs? Yeah, those too. Klipsch? Uh huh. SVS? Yup. Martin Logan? You got it. Mirage? Plenty. Yes, I could keep going.

BUT!!!

If you like Def Tech the best, hell Go for it! I've chosen my path which not everyone agrees with. But maybe the "kills any SVS out there" wasn't the best choice of words? :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

True. This can be the case. However, most people don't have the time or the resources to get into building their own subs. But, going with a very good performer and a very good price with thousands of very good recommendations - quickly pulls SVS out into the spotlight. There might be herd mentality here, but at least they are following a good herd.

[shudders] I'd hate to see such a good following for Bose gear. [/shudders]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks