What's new

Best sub for a limited budget ($130) (1 Viewer)

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the best sub for that amount? I've got reccomendations for getting a dayton. I was also thinking of getting a refurbished one so I can get more for my money. I know $130 is weak but I'm 15 so I don't have a whole lot of money. I've looked out Yamahas, Sonys, KLH's, Acoustic Research, BIC, Jensen, and then someone told me Dayton. I was thinking of at least 75 watts for my small room. Even though the only 75watt was the sony the rest were at least 100watt.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a big difference between 10" subs and 8" ones? At the same wattage assuming they are both from good brands?

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know good brands to look for (for a mid to low end sub)? Besides Dayton? Is khl and Jensen good?

TosH

Agent
Stretch the budget to $150 and you could pick up a Sony SA-WM500 or a used Sony SA-WM40. I think those and the Dayton are your best bets in the sub $150 category. I would avoid any KLH sub like the plague. I made the horrible mistake of buying a KLH sub when I was around your age and always regretted it. Don't make the mistake of being suckered into buying a sub just because it has better "specs" than the competition. Specs don't tell you anything about the actual quality of the bass the sub puts out.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I bought a Velodyne VX10 a few months ago from J&R for $150 & free shipping. It works beautifully for me.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I'll stretch it to like 150 to 200 but thats 200 after ship handeling and tax, maybe a little more if necessary

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
So far I'm staying away from KLH. While leaning toward the dayton then the sony/velodyne(don't know which one yet). I can't decide. Anyone know about Yamaha, Infinity, Bic, Acoustic Research, Wharfedale, and Jensen?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I can agree with that. My first sub was a KLH from Costco. The poor thing lasted 30 days, then the amp died. I know this kind of issue could have happened to any amp with any subwoofer. However, there's a reason for being able to pick up a 10" sub with a 120 watt amp for $99 - it's because of cheap components.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the AR 108S for about $100... It's an 8" but it does produce for good bass..

John S

Senior HTF Member
Go for the Sony 12" as mentioned. It is not the best for music, but it is fairly impressive on HT duty.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Are higher " give better bass or what? I mean assuming they are from the same or equally reputable brand. EX. 8" sony vs a 10" sony if they are at the same wattage level.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You start to get a different type of bass as the driver size is increased. A looser, type feel for sure, this is way desired for HT duty. IMHO as always.

StanG

Grip
I'll second the Dayton recommendation. For the money, it's very, very good. Once in a while, PE has it on sale for $99...

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
If you would like i will sell you my Sony SA-WX700 for $150 + shipping, so should hit your under $200 mark. It has barely been used, still needs to be broken in. Its a great sub, its sealed and sounds great with music and has signigicantly more output than the older wm40 and the new wm500. After i built my sealed tempest, i do not need this anymore. send me a email @ [email protected] if interested. Thanks.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I'll consider the sony, but I'm still researching so I don't know when I'll buy the sub but I'm planning in buying it within a month.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the AR 108S the last day of the year last year and it works wonderful. It is way better than my Bose Acoustimass module... . I finally hear the bass all nice....and smooth. Try Etronics.com they got some low priced subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks