What's new

Best Sub Driver for small enclosures (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I'm looking for a 12 inch driver that will work in a small enclosure. Something like 1.2 cf. I'm not really interested in loudness but low tight bass is desired. I have a 11 x 14 x 8 room and plan to use this sub along with full range speakers in a HT.

Thanks for all responses.

------------------

What if it gets no better than this!?!

Well, blueprintdrivers.com com has a couple of interesting 12" drivers. Their 1201 looks good in a 1.25 cu. ft. sealed box. It has a Qb of around .707 and an f3 of ~40 hz. For somthing a bit more over the top their 1203 looks decent in that small a box with a couple of the styke 1400 gram 15" passive radiators. There are also a number of good 10" drivers out there that may end up being a better choice as far as extension goes in that small an enclosure.
-Chris
[Edited last by Chris_Brunhaver on November 02, 2001 at 10:56 PM]

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
The Parts Express 12" DVC driver works perfectly in 1.25 cu. ft., with f3 around 36-42 Hz, depending on whether you believe the published specs or the Dumax test. It's only $110, has a 16mm Xmax, takes 600 watts, and kicks serious butt for the price. I'm planning my next project around one.
Peter

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you want to significantly decrease the box size use an isobaric design, and a clamshell mounting configuration.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have no idea what an "isoberic" design is. Can you please enlighten me as to what this is?
Thanks
** Jack I've seen your sub on Rudy's web page and it's really nice looking. I have a 11 x 14 x 8 room and am looking for a bottom feeding 20hz - 40hz sub. How does your sub do movies? Kyle also recommended you for instruction as well.
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Kyle also recommended you for instruction as well.
I must begrudgingly concede that poor Kyle has finally flipped.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Guys, there is ONLY ONE sub driver to use in a small sealed enclosure:
JL Audio 12w3 D2
Run it in series to load 4 ohms.
Usually used in cars, but I can assure you it slams no matter where you place it. It does NOT go as deep as my mammoth sonotube with a 15" driver, but it is 500x tighter bass, and extremely musical and well-balanced.
12w3 driver should be $199 and is well worth every penny.
------------------
trenton1.gif

I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!,
I'd have all my money back. -- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

Martice

Screenwriter
Any thoughts on BluePrint drivers namely the 1203?
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
See Chris' comment? It seems to work best in a PR alignment, or in a sealed, eq-ed box (Linkwitz transform).
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to think that the Blueprint 1203 would destroy the JL as far as excursion. I haven't modeled it in a small sealed enclosure but I don't think there's a 12" driver out there that could touch it! Doesn't it use the same motor structure as the 1503 and 1803?
EDIT**According to the blueprint home page they have B-stock on the 1203's. They have 6 available for $165 each! From the home page click on the News link for more info. I don't know when this was posted but I bet they'll go fast!**
Brian
[Edited last by Brian Bunge on October 31, 2001 at 12:44 PM]

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I must begrudgingly concede that poor Kyle has finally flipped.
Jack, I cant remember the last time that I was normal :)
At first he was after a very small design a la Sunfire and I pointed him to your small sealed design using the Dayton DVC. Not the best at bottom feeding but a very solid design for a small enclosure.
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
At first he was after a very small design a la Sunfire and I pointed him to your small sealed design using the Dayton DVC. Not the best at bottom feeding but a very solid design for a small enclosure.
Well, I'm flattered that you pointed him to mine. :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: I'd have to think that the Blueprint 1203 would destroy the JL as far as excursion. [/quote]
It does look that way, although I don't find the 1203 looks all that good in sealed boxes (very high F3)unless you apply eq. It does look amazing for a small LT box. If we use the 1503 motor specs (I'm pretty sure it's the same motor in the -03 series), the 1203 has actually got a little more linear displacement than a Tempest. Those $165 B-stocks are very tempting. I need to stop.
Jon Marsh had a post on using the 1203 in this way over on htguide.com in the DIY forum, but I can't get into the site right now.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on November 02, 2001 at 10:33 AM]

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack
JonMarsh agrees with you, he's ordered the last of the B-Stock 1203's. He's planning on a small sealed boxes probably needing minimal EQ or LT help, but targeting a "Q" of 0.5. As he put's it 'the ultimate apartment/condo sub' :)

ChristianT

Grip
I have purchased a couple of 1203's for my first sub project. I began to use Unibox for some analysis and ran into some confusion. Has anyone received the actual Dumax results for the 1203 yet? If not, can anyone explain how the driver measurements on the BPD site would correlate to the driver parameter fields in Unibox? The measurement descriptions are different. I am getting a drive unit configuration error when I enter the parameters from the BPD site.
Thanks,
Christian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Christian,
I have purchased a couple of 1203's for my first sub project
Excellent, what will you do with them?
As far as I know, only the 1503 has been Dumaxed. Which 1503 parameters are you using for the 1203? I know that Pat from Blueprint had some questions on the Dumax Re result (3.94) , so maybe you can try the Re from the Blueprint site (3.6?)
Fwiw, I only used the Xmax result from the 1503 motor in my 1203/1803 sims. Not sure if that's good or bad,though.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on November 04, 2001 at 07:14 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks