What's new

best speaker brands? bang for buck? (1 Viewer)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Paradigm, PSB, Energy, B&W, Axiom Audio, nOrh, Def Tech, Ascend Acoustics, ACI, Rockett (formerly Swan Diva), and the list goes on.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Just for the record the Rocket by Onix speakers are not "formerly Swan Divas". They are totally separate. Swan Divas as well as the Rockets represent a good bang for the buck. I've read good things about Norh as well.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you have the tools and some time nothing commercially available can provide as high of a price performance ratio as building your own speakers from kits or freely available plans (especially with subwoofers).

There are loads of great designs, drivers, crossover components and kits out there. Find the right plan or kit, build the enclosure and put it all together. Besides the kick you'll get out of being able to say you built it, you'll be amazed at how good they sound for what you spend on them.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
I have the PSB Image series and they are pretty damn good for the cost.

I would also like to build a set of my own when I get a house. I have heard and read that you can build some pretty awesome speakers if you take the time to do the research on what you want.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Well after the other suggestions, I'll take you full circle. In Canada, which is where you are, I'd look first and foremost at Paradigm. It isn't that there aren't other great speaker brands, including Canadian brands (e.g. Axiom, PSB), but Paradigm has a differential pricing policy that makes their stuff extremely attractive in Canada. If you suggest a budget, several people here can give advice regarding models.

Martice

Screenwriter
GR Research AV1+ speakers. It is really hard to beat in terms of quality playback. Word has it that GR Research has a new speaker that they are planning to release. It employs a ribbon tweeter which some feel that has a more realistic sound then the usual tweeter offerings in speakers.
It's named the CRITERION
Good Luck

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
A vote for French made Triangle Titus 202's ($495/pr)... as a matter of fact, their entire line has been well received (Zerius, Celius).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

Those Criterions are just jaw dropping! I heard them a few weeks ago when I met Danny and they just blew me away. The only word that comes to mind is "airy"!

Brian

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
PSB has done a great engineering job on their Image series speaker line. They have been able to offer high quality speakers in an affordable price range. I am runniing the 5T's (F R/L), 9C (CTR) and 2B's (Rear), and Subsonic 6 subwoofer. The whole system rocks.

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact set up as WillieM, except for the sub, I have a SVS 16-46cs. And I second all his remarks about the PSB Image line, especially for home theater, as the name implies, the imaging of these speakers in home theater is really remarkable.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Depends on how many bucks you're willing to spend. In the very low priced bracket it's almost impossible to beat the "bang-for-the-buck" that you get from Wharfedale speakers if you pay attention to uBid. I just got a pair or Modus 1.6 towers for my living room (stereo music only - not HT), and though my initial reaction was a little cold, I'm starting to LOVE them.

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I went with NHT as I was going to go with Revel Performa's at first but the NHT specs and the sound swayed me. Well, the price did too as it allowed to go big(relatively speaking) in other areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks