What's new

Best single-tray CD player under 1K.... (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I didn't have the 'C222ES for too long, but I thought the 'C222ES was a bit better. The 'C333ES sounded a bit more harsh with vocals. The results surprised me, but the 'C222ES uses a different DAC. I also find the 'C555ES to be better than the 'C333ES.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I bought a Rotel (961?) a few months ago and am very happy with my choice. I would certainly suggest you give Rotel a listen.

JimmyK

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I have three sony ES components, and in terms of cd playback, here is how I would rate them:
1. Sony CDP-X5000
2. Sony CDP-CX90ES
3. Sony SCD-C555ES
Now, remember, this is just straight CD playback, no DTS cd or redbook cd's. Of course, the x5000 is a Japan and Europe only model that retails for around $1700 and is basically the same innards as the CDP-XA7ES, widely regarded as the best Sony ES cd player ever made, and the CX90ES is widely regarded as the best multi-disc changer ever made, but this is just my 2 cents. As for the Sony sound being bright, I run all my 2 channel stuff through my SOnic Frontiers line 1 tube preamp, so this balance makes the sound just incredible.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chung, I find your results interesting. Does the 'X5000 have the same power supply as the 'XA7ES? I ask because the 'X5000 is much smaller and lighter. I don't have the 'X5000 or the 'XA7ES, but I do have the 'X3000ES and 'XA5ES in my second system, which were step-down models to the 'X5000ES and 'XA7ES, respectively. Truthfully, I haven't done sufficient comparisons between them to render a judgment as to which is the better player. They are mainly conversation pieces since they look so great. :) The 'X3000ES is an especially nice-looking component. I have a 'C555ES in the same system as the 'X3000ES and 'XA5ES, and in limited comparisons, I preferred the 'C555ES. Again, the comparisons were limited.
I do not have the 'CX90ES, but I know it has always gotten high praise as far as megachangers go. In my main system, I have two 'CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained as well as a 'C555ES. The 'C555ES is a much better CD player. The 'CX333ES is good for a megachanger, but I only use the two of them for casual listening (usually in "no delay" shuffle mode).

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Here's another recommendation for the Rega Planet. I own one and love it. Component synergy is very important and as noted before, it is warm but I like warm too. Sure there are other players that are more accurate but the Rega just makes me wanna boogie and I can't say that about a lot of other CD players. I think it has a wonderful sense of pace.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Keith, nice system, BTW. As far as pure cd playback, I stick by my assessment. The X5000 is basically the same CD player as the XA7 but with a smaller power supply, thus a smaller chassis. The drive mechanism and the dacs are the exact same. In other words, here is an SAT analogy:
X5000 -> XA7
as
X3000 -> XA5
I believe that the X3000 and the XA5 have the same drive mechanism as the XA7, or at least one that is designed somewhat the same, and they have DAC's which are a little less refined.
As far as the CX90ES, it sounds so much better than the CX333ES it is not even funny. The CX90ES sounds almost as good as a $1000 MSRP single disc player. It is amazing how good it sounds as a mega changer

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Keith H,

Just checked out your website, nice stuff! So do you have three independant systems? I couldn't tell if you shared some pieces between your HT and Main stereo system. If not, that's a lot of components!

WE ARE...PENN STATE! We're going to spank Iowa this weekend on our march towards a national title!

Bill (Bus '99)

Although I tend to beleive that as long as you get one of these many excellent CD players mentioned thus far, you will be happy with it, assuming you don't have another cd player to do straight A/B comparisons with, (It can be amazing how much our attitude about our equipment changes once we hear something ever-so-slightly different, or once we A/B it with something physically heavier, and our ears automatically hear better sound whether it's there or not, just cause we think is MUST sound better, if it weighs THAT much!!) I have to also vote for the Adcom, I'm not positive, but I think that one has some Class A circuitry in it and it actually had a VERY noticably smoother top end with slightly wider soundstage.

A great example of the weight thing occured when the store I worked at first acquired that Technics DVD-A10, the thing weighed as much as a small monoblock, and everybody thought it was the best sounding thing they ever heard. Then I opened it up and discovered that all that weight was from a layer of lead on the bottom plate about half an inch thick, not from super high quality components and a huge power supply or something like that. It was amazing seeing how everyone's attitude about the sound quality of that unit changed from that moment on. I'm not saying there's no difference between CD players, I just think we should be careful that we don't only hear what we WANT to hear and blow an unnecessary extra few hundred bucks on something we didn't need.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Paul said:
and blow an unnecessary extra few hundred bucks on something we didn't need.
Where have I heard that before? Maybe my wife but I'm not sure:laugh:
You bring up some good points but the problem I have is there are very few B&M stores where you can audition components in any kind of a decent listening environment.
I have just purchased a Sony 555ES player and it is by far the best CD player I have ever owned. Purchased it completely on word of mouth from people here on this forum. Granted that isn't saying much since the 555 is first dedicated CD player I've owned since the late 80's. I bought a Yamaha LD/CD player in 89 and then have used a DVD player for CD's since 99.
Greg Johnson

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chung,

Thanks for the information and the compliment. It is too bad that Sony never turned out another megachanger of the quality of the 'CX90ES. It seems that Sony has a way of "overdoing it" with the quality of some components, and these components turn to be outstanding bargains that throw all tenets of audio out the window. Now I haven't heard the 'CX90ES, so I have to accept your assessment. A Sony megachanger has no business sounding like a comparably priced single-disc player from a more specialized audio company. The 'CX90ES certainly is an aberration. The Sony STR-DA777ES receiver seems to fall in the same category as the 'CX90ES. The 'DA777ES provided sound quality close to Sony far-more-expensive ES separates. Sony discontinued the 'DA777ES a couple of years ago and has still not issued its equal or a superior receiver.

Anyway, I am perfectly happy with the 'CX333ES megachangers for casual listening. If I compare the 'CX333ES to the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, 'C555ES, or '777ES, it's no contest, but the 'CX333ES is perfectly acceptable for casual listening.

Bill,

Thanks. I have three systems -- two stereo systems and one home-theater system. My main stereo system and home-theater system are in the same room. The Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer and Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player are split between the two systems. I use them in the main stereo system for playback of CDs and stereo DVD-Audio and SACD tracks and then in the home-theater system for playback of multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD tracks.

You said:

WE ARE...PENN STATE! We're going to spank Iowa this weekend on our march towards a national title!
Given the past two years, I'll take it one game at a time. However, the Lions have looked very strong thus far. They obviously gave a sensational performance against Nebraska. I was disappointed with the defense in the first half against Louisiana Tech, though. The offense is very solid. I have no concerns there. The receivers are catching the ball and making nice yardage after the catch, and Larry Johnson is running the ball very well. Of course, Michael Robinson is a great weapon to have. On top of all that, it's refreshing to not have to worry about our quarterback play. The last time we had that luxury was 1994 with Kerry Collins. Zack Mills is outstanding.

Go Lions!

Paul,

I have the Technics DVD-A10, and while the external build quality is very good, I have never been impressed with it as a CD player. In fact, I never use it for CD playback. I am happy with the DVD-Audio performance, but I may upgrade eventually if Warner and other labels start to ramp up the release rate of titles on DVD-Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks