Best shows NEVER to be given a shot :(

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Larry Seno Jr., Mar 5, 2002.

1. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

I've always thought The Ben Stiller Show (from '91 or '92) was the funniest sketch comedy series ever. It lasted a dozen or so episodes.

Max Headroom was underappreciated at the time, but was the prototype "cyber" television show.

I'd kill to see either on DVD.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I had forgotten all about the Ben Stiller Show...that was great. I remember a few years ago, FX ran all the episodes in a row...I was in heaven.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Die Hard.... in a supermarket

4. dan.kissel

dan.kissel Guest

Two words, chum! The Tick (live action).

I also agree with Shasta McNasty, Family Guy, and Futurama.

5. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

i have to agree with the following:

sportsnight

freaks and geeks

brooklyn south

while adding to the list:

now and again

the good life (introduced drew carey)

also, a show that had its run but was still uncerimoniously cancelled:

homicide!!

brian

6. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Add The Chronicle on the SciFi Channel to this list. They're cancelling the show even though its given them consistent ratings on Saturday and then Friday evenings.

7. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

Yeah My So Called life was great when they showed it on MTV. And why did they cancel Freaky Links? It was always pretty good. And it didn't even seem to be biting off the Blair Witch Projects success. The plots were pretty different from other shows. Fox sucks at cancelling shows so quickly. There were a couple Fox dramas I kinda liked. I was curious about Pasadena and some other one with a family that would talk to the camera. It had one of the Laker girls come to dinner. And I always wondered how they were going to continue the cliffhanger in Models Inc. So when did Get A Life DVD Vol.2 come out?

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The Lone Gunmen, damn you Fox for dropping this show just as it was finding its groove... and dropping it with a cliffhanger ending too![​IMG]
    And I really liked NBC's prime time soap opera "Titans", I wish they would have kept it going... there are no prime time soaps on anymore, and I like them, dammit.
    /Mike

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Though Family Guy was on for three years, it was constantly moved around, slighted, and pitted against unbeatable competition. (Thursdays at 8?! I heard that Friends show is kinda popular, and Survivor has somewhat a following.)

As a hard-core Babylon 5 nut, the TNT spin-off Crusade easily tops my list. If it was allowed to continue and without network executive interference, it could have really been something special. It looks like the same fate is in store for the Legend of the Rangers. Argh!

10. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The Lone Gunmen cliffhanger will be resolved on an upcoming X-Files episode, with appearances by the Michael McKean character, Jimmy and Yves in addition to the Gunmen. The episode is titled "Jump The Shark." [​IMG]
    BIG SPOILER:
    The Gunmen supposedly die in this episode.

Ryan

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ryan, I thought that the cliffhanger was "resolved" with that scene in "X-Files" where they appear and Frohike (I think) has some blue paint in his face, and says "Don't ask" about it. It wasn't a real resolution, of course, but I thought that was all we'd get. I'd be happy to be wrong though. [​IMG]
    /Mike

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

From the official site:

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Woohoo [​IMG]
    When "X-Files" is gone, they should just bring back "The Lone Gunmen" in that time-slot. I think they'd do pretty well.
    /Mike

14. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

"Freaks and Geeks" would be my top pick.

Another series that I don't think ever got a fair shake is "Big Wolf On Campus", which airs on YTV and ABC Family. It's managed to last three seasons (the current one is its last), but it was never properly promoted.

15. Rey L

Rey L Stunt Coordinator

Without a doubt in my mind, "Sports Night" should be nominated for an award as the show most poorly treated by its network.

"Family Guy", "Maximum Bob" and "The Marshall Chronicles" would also be nominees.

IMO.

16. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Otherworld and V: The Series were 2 sci-fi shows of the 80's that I lamented having been cancelled before anything good ever developed, but in retrospect I'm kinda glad they never did finish them, as they didn't hold up to the Nostalgic Test [​IMG]
    I fully agree on Brimstone and Babylon 5: Crusade; 2 great shows that were cancelled before they were barely out of the gate.
    While The Pretender had a wonderful 4 or so seasons, I really wish they'd get to doing more of the 2-hour made-for-TV movies. Jarod STILL has not met his mother, dammit!!
    As for Battlestar Galactica...I like the old series, but I really hope they modernize it and take it in new directions should a new series come to pass.

17. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

If I recall correctly, in Pretender, Jarod did meet his mother. Here in Canada we never got a chance to see the movies that were made after the show was cancelled.

The last thing I remember, Jarod was told by his father that he had a sister and his father escaped with Jarod's clone.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    one of my favs was BROOKLYN BRIDGE. it took place in the fifties and was very similiar and as good as wonder years.
    one of my favorite eps was about the dodgers leaving brooklyn for LA.
    IT was onl;y on about 2.5 years.

19. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I agree with American Gothic and Brimstone, but does anyone remember ROAR? It was a sword and sorcery series on Fox in the mid to late '90s. It had druids and Keltic-like tribesmen and I believe the antagonist was Pontius Pilate who was immortal. I really enjoyed it. Lasted all of about 8 episodes if that.

20. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I remember Roar, and yeah it was a shame it was cut before given a chance, as it did show promise.

With the positive climate for "true" fantasy, this might get resurrected. One could hope!

[edit]

As to Pretender,

He *saw* his mother, once, at the end of (I think) the first season, but he has never talked with her.

I won't spoil the movies further than to say this trend continues. Kinda frustrating. Still, the last movie does tie up some loose ends nicely, while leaving room for future episodes. Here's hoping they continue the show!