What's new

best setup to split my coax cable? (1 Viewer)

graysqwrl

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
ok... I wanted to split my cable for best possible results. Or, at least adequate results and here were my thoughts. I have a 5 bedroom house, a guest house, and get my internet through time warner as well... so here were my thoughts main line to amp amp to three way splitter 1. main tv 2. internet modem 3. to 6 way splitter 6 way splitter runs to each of the bedrooms and the guest house Am I correct in assuming that this is the best configuration? What cable/fittings are recommended? Also, what amp/booster is recommended? Thanks a lot!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It may not be the best configuration. Have you connected everything yet to see if you even need an amp? Your house is probably run with RG-6 or RG-6QS. Use the same. Fitting depend on the type of cable you choose. I use the silver crimp fittings from Lowes. The gray cable stripper and the appropriate fitting crimper are necessities. The stripper makes life so much easier. Spend time to adjust the blades and it will work wonders. If you do need an amp, you need one one to cover the entire frequency range of your cable system. Does TW have any recommendations?

graysqwrl

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
Thanks for the reply! I haven't connected everything yet... because... well I'm remodelling the entire house. Now is the time for me to run the cable. After doing a little more digging, I was looking at using the PCT-VC-9U .... and just running the lines directly from that. It even has a designated port for the cable modem. Would that be a better setup? I haven't called Time Warner... yet. Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That would be a better setup because each leg of the cable would get the same signal strength. With quality cable, the distance inside of a house makes very little difference. As far as the amp goes, I have never heard of that brand. On the other hand, I haven't had cable TV since the 90's. I've a satellite TV guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks