What's new

Best Set up for what I have/ unlock problem (1 Viewer)

Doom Walker

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Lawson
Sony Bravia TV (KDL-46S2010)

Sony 800watt Receiver (STR-K900)

Dish Network

Sony DVD Player (DVP-NC85H)

Sony PS3

Sony Ps2

XBox 360

Wii

Right now I have an HDMI Switch Box I run HDMI on the Dish receiver, DVD, and i switch the HDMI back n forth from my PS3 and XBox 360 I run components on the PS2 and Wii and i run the red/white audio jacks from the TV to the Sony Receiver. What i wanted to do was replace the red/white audio cables with an optical cables but when i hook up the optical my receiver says unlock on the screen. I tried taking off the optical and putting it on the DVD player and it runs fine with that. The only time i get the unlock is when i come from the TV to the receiver

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Check your manual, page 15.

This is a common misconception about the digital audio output on most TVs. The digital output, in this case, will only output sound from channels tuned using the TVs internal tuner. Audio from external sources is not passed out the optical connection.

This is not uncommon - in fact, even if it DID pass audio from your external sources, it would be no better than what you're getting using the analog stereo connection. The TVs that DO pass audio, downmix any digital surround sound to simple stereo before being output via the digital optical connection.

There are rumored to be some TVs that actually pass digital audio from external sources, but I rank this up there with the Loch Ness Monster in terms of the number of "confirmed" cases I've come across.

You should consider upgrading your receiver. It should be the "hub" of your system, not the TV. Since you have a mix of component video sources and HDMI sources, you should get a model that will do analog-to-digital upconversion - this will mean you only run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

The Onkyo 608 is an often recommended receiver (and quite a bargain at under $400). It's got all the features to support your gear.

I did a quick search for the Sony K900 and it seems to be a regular standalone receiver (i.e. NOT an "All-in-one" unit) so whatever speakers you have hooked up to it should work fine with the Onkyo. If by chance, you have low impedance speakers (less than 6 ohms) let us know - that complicates things for you a bit.

Oh, and if you weren't aware, even though the Onkyo is a 7.1 channel receiver, it can be easily set up to run as 5.1 or even stereo if you wish.

Doom Walker

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Lawson
Thanks for the reply Jason ill keep that receiver in mind Im in the process of buying a house right now so im kinda being a tight waud right now I moved the optical to my ps3 and a coaxal digital from the sat receiver sounds good enough to keep me content for a while. I was thinking about looking into a optical switch box but i not fully sure if that will work like im wanting it to work tho

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks