Best recording of Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Fisher, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Does anyone know if there's a good recording Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' for DVD-Audio? I think there is one in SACD, but I don't have a compatible player yet. Trying to get into some more classical pieces for hi-res and this has always been one of my favorites.

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Matt:
    I dig the "Adagio" very much as well. Don't let the fact that it's not a DVD-A stop you from getting (and it's currently available for around $3 via Amazon Marketplace) probably the best performance of the work I've heard: Bernstein conducting the L.A. Phil on DG's Shadows and Light. It's an "Adagio" fer chrissakes and a lotta guys rush it--not Bernstein. 10:04.
    (Plus this disc has a Bernstein/Vienna Phil reading of the awesome "Adagietto For Harp and Strings" from the Mahler 5.)
    -p

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Why not get the complete string quartet opus 11 from which the Adagio is taken? Penguin guide says try the Endellion Quartet version on Virgin/EMI digital VC5 45033-2. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for many classical disks to be released on DVD-A. For classical, it's redbook or Sack-Dee.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
  5. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I've been looking around for the Endellion set but it looks to be out of print.....[​IMG]
    It was redbook by the way. Penguin says the Emerson set is not anywhere near as good. [​IMG]

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Dennis:

Do drop back in if you find the Endellion on Virgin please?

I'm curious/trepidatious to hear the "Adagio" performed by 'just' a quartet after having heard so many much larger arrangements . . .

-p

8. andrew markworthy

I'd second the choice of Bernstein's very slow interpretation. I think it's the same one that originally came out on a DG CD called 'Appalachian Spring' which contains the piece of that name, plus Adagio, the Candide Overture and a piece by Schumman (the American composer, not the German guy who went mad). It's an excellent album and worth tracking down (though I suspect it's probably out of print).

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew, that disc, obviously, focused on well-known works of American music. And I'll third the Bernstein interpretation -- think about it: Lenny was a natural for this sort of emotional music.

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
  11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Interesting though that that "Great Performances" CD has a Bernstein/N.Y. Phil perf which is, obviously, a different perf than the Bernstein/L.A. Phil on Shadows and Light . . .

-p

12. mrwatson

mrwatson New User

Michael Watson
    In my opinion, this piece is best performed by an American orchestra under the direction of an American conductor. There are many fine recordings that fit this bill, e.g. those of the two Leonards - Slatkin and Bernstein - each of whom has directed several different recorded performances given by very fine orchestras such as Detroit, St Louis and NYP. A most notable exception, however, is that of the emminent Finnish conductor Neeme Jaarvi with the Detroit. I trust this is helpful.