What's new

Best recordable dvd format for archiving data? (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My office has asked me to research dvd recordable media for archiving data. They are looking to archive data on a dvd recordable computer drive that needs to be stable for approximately 10 years. The discs will not be written to again once finalized. Which is best? DVD-R, or DVD+R, or DVD-RW, or DVD+RW? What about compatibility issues with other dvd drives? Also what about durability? Cost? A search on the topic produced no information newer than 1 1/2 years old, that's an eternity in computer years. Thanks for the help.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Out of the choices you've listed I would choose DVD-R. Any RW disc could be accidentally erased and the '-' variety is probably going to be the greater longevity in the marketplace over the '+'. The '+' does have advantages - namely the drag-and-drop facility, but this probably wont be an important factor for you.

Realistically though, I think you need to consider that DVD may not be around in ten years' time. You may be left at the mercy of whether or not you can find a working DVD-ROM drive to recover your data. When newer formats come around it would probably be wise to refresh your backups.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I would also agree on DVD-R/W as it is a more mature format and the discs are less expensive from what I've seen on the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks