What's new

best recommendations for small surrounds (1 Viewer)

Dave-Z

Agent
Looking for some guidance: Have a friend who has a tiny room, and while I have some NHT 1.2 towers for the front that won't hurt his space too much, surrounds are a real challenge.

Can anyone recommend some good value small(tiny) speakers that would be good for surrounds and maybe, eventually, be used as extras at some point a year or two later?

Don't want to go near Bose, but that is the size range I'm looking for. Are there any real speaker alternatives?

Thanks for your help!

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, are the NHT super ones/zeros too large for the application. I like Paradigm Micros and Atoms and Titans. Linn katans are a little more expensive but they sound great. Canton Karat M10 are also very nice sounding.

good luck, regards, tom

Dave-Z

Agent
Hey Tom

Thanks for the reply.

The NHT's are the generation prior to the Super Ones, and are significantly smaller, or thinner at least. They are a wonderful design and sounding speaker, and can play small to medium size rooms very well.

My friend is new to thinking about good A/V. A TV was all he needed to watch DVD's before I met him. I know, scary... So, having upgraded my system to PSB Stratus series, I am lending him my 1.2's.

His room is to the point that he doesn't even need a center, as there really isn't going to be much swing from one side of the love-seat to the other, and the less he needs to put out, the better. He does want some surrounds though, and I have no real experience researching 'cube' type surrounds, or other small, unobtrusive, probably what would be considered 'wife-friendly' ... speakers.

I will check out the lines you spoke about, and appreciate the leads very much.

I guess one last thing if anyone else has some recommendations... his budget for the pair is probably in the $150 to $200 range, although I have had success in getting him to spend more by showing him what an extra 1-2 C-notes can bring in quality, so comparisons are always great for those who are just dipping their toes in the water for the first time.

Thanks all!

cabreau

Second Unit
As much as I love Atoms, they aren't nearly as small as Bose speakers. Probably the Paradigm Cinema series will be small enough to do what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks