What's new

Best Pre/Pro for music and HT with iLink? (1 Viewer)

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, budget is in the range of 10,000. I'd really like an ilink to connect up my Pioneer elite DVD, freeing up the 5.1 analog inputs. Not particularly interested in 7.1 for now, 5.1 seems to do the trick nicely in my HT. The one thing I *don't* wish to sacrifice is 2 channel audio. HT is routed through an Onkyo 696 (I know, I know), and the CDP is a Sony C555ES.

I'm running a Van Alstine T7 to Odyssey Extremem mono's, output to VMPS RM40's. The VA is starting to give me hissing problems (might be as simple as a tube switch, but I *am* getting tired of getting up to turn the dang thing on-no remote). Upgraditis strikes again...

Getting rid of the Onkyo will neccessitate a new multichannel amp, but that's not included in the above budget. Recommendations for that are welcome as well ;) Has anyone heard the new PSAudio MC amps? Love the sound of my HCA-2. It just wasn't enough to drive the RM40's as well as the Monos, but center, sub, and surrounds shouldn't pose a significant load.

in short, I think it's time to start fresh with separates, most definately keeping the speakers, Odysseys,and likely the CDP as well...

Any and all ideas welcome!

Ron

Elinor

Supporting Actor
In that price range, personally I'd look at pretty much two contenders: Theta Casablanca III, or Meridian G68. My personal pref. would go to the Theta, as I have a pre/pro by one of their founders who left to start his own company.

The sound from this box is exquisite.

Trevor L

Auditioning
In that price range be sure to audition Lexicon, Tag Mclaren, and Halcro as well.

On a more affordable level (but not as many bells and Whistles) Cary Audio has a very musical Pre/Pro called the Cinema 8. IT is designed with music in mind. I own the cheaper Cinema 6 and feel is as musical and transparent as any out there for 2 channel. It lacks in customization, inputs, no tuner, etc.. though. On the other hand, it has 8 separate DACs, has upsampling to 196, and its video componentry is high enough quality to be compadable with the HD DVD's that are coming soon.

If you are music first, have a listen.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, none seem to offer a firewire link :frowning:

I might have to go with some combination of receiver and pre/pro... Sigh...

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Ah, sorry, didn't realize that that was the most important thing ... silly me, I was thinking sound quality might be tops ....

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Point well taken, Elinor...

I'm just getting fed up with all the clutter behind my system. Two mono's, an HCA-2, 2 DVD players, a receiver, CD player, Van Alstine T7, ATSC HDTV tuner, and DVR cable box. Imagine all the cables connecting all of the above, and 2 cats that like to trampse around back there.

I've got more crap than the local waste management station :frowning:

Maybe a simplified solution such as you described might help a bit. Receiver and VA can get the heave-ho, but its pre/pro replacement and amp will end up with more space.

Might be you're right. Pare it down to a minimum for the best quality I can afford...

Ron

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Above tv: 3-channel amp, preamp, Dish 811 receiver, am/fm tuner, 2-channel amp, CD player, LD player, 2 DVD players, VCR.

Below tv: XBOX, PS2.

I understand what you're saying.

Good luck.

You know Meridian makes a whole digital system, right? The DVD/CD, prepro, speakers all operate through digital links. Of course, the whole setup will run quite a bit more than you mentioned, but it does eliminate clutter ....

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The new Integra Research RDC-7.1 has i.Link. (Getting good reviews by users over on AVS.)

Anthem has a strongly rumored i.Link upgrade coming for the D1.

And Lexicon may offer one too for the MC-8 and MC-12. No definite word there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks