What's new

Best Pictures on and not on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Paramount has released 1983's "Terms Of Endearment" on region-free blu-ray in France...currently available on Amazon there for US $20.29 including standard shipping...another thread on the release of "Marathon Man" on BD in Europe is already discussing its release and the beautiful transfer available on this newly-minted transfer!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Paramount has released 1983's "Terms Of Endearment" on region-free blu-ray in France...currently available on Amazon there for US $20.29 including standard shipping...another thread on the release of "Marathon Man" on BD in Europe is already discussing its release and the beautiful transfer available on this newly-minted transfer!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Adam_S said:
In terms of Best Picture Nominees, The two films that should be highest priority are 1931 East Lynne and 1934 The White Parade.

Both are Fox titles.

Neither has ever been released on VHS anywhere in the world.

Neither has ever been released on LD anywhere in the world.

Neither has ever been released on DVD anywhere in the world

Neither has ever been aired on television anywhere in the world (to the best of my knowledge).

Both films exist, and are safe at UCLA, which has done SD transfers of their elements to DigiBeta in recent years.
A couple of years ago, I watched ALL 485 best picture nominees, and I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade. The latter was in terrible shape; the former, better shape. I actually have a copy of East Lynne.

I would dearly love to have both films as i need them for my collection... only a few more nominees to go and I have them ALL on home video disc!!!! :D

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Warren,
I'm planning a trip to LA and would like to visit UCLA and view East Lynne and The White Parade.
What are the steps I should follow to gain access to a viewing of these films? Thanks.
Jose

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know Tom Jones has been announced for HD release .. only problem is I can't remember where I read that! I've noted it in my special 'forthcoming' list of titles I must have....... along with Bad Day at Black Rock, Lolita 50th Anniversary. In the Heat of the Night, Carmen Jones and The Ghost and Mrs Muir.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hadn't read anything about Tom Jones or In the Heat of the Night or Bad Day at Black Rock coming to Blu-ray. Maybe in Region B?

Certainly I'd want all of them if they DID get released.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
AnthonyClarke said:
I know Tom Jones has been announced for HD release .. only problem is I can't remember where I read that! I've noted it in my special 'forthcoming' list of titles I must have....... along with Bad Day at Black Rock, Lolita 50th Anniversary. In the Heat of the Night, Carmen Jones and The Ghost and Mrs Muir.

Oh, Gosh, I hope so. :dance:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm glad to see Cavalcade has a firm release date; I just wish they had included more bonus features seeing as how it was the leading write-in candidate.

There is so much they could have done fort it, but I guess we have to be thankful we are getting it at all, and I am extremely greatful...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
From Here to Eternity is out tomorrow, and in a month we'll get Oliver!, and a month after that we get Endearment. Hopefully 2014 will see some more BP's and nominees come out... be nice to get some 30's noms out, even in a box set or something...

a couple years ago, someone released a set called "The Envelope Please: The Academy Collection", which contained 6 Best Picture nominees on DVD in a box set. The Racket, Alibi, The Private Life of Henry VIII, The Front Page, A Star is Born and Love Affair. Not the greatest quality, but nice to have them available. (the set is OOP, I think.)

I wish more studios would do this, especially with the films from the 30's.

Warners has the best chance to do this; They have a great deal of nominees they could release, but their excuse is that these films need lots of work before they can be released. (Does anyone really care for Bomba: the Jungle Boy over something like Test Pilot, Disreali or The Story of Louis Pasteur, two of them being Best Actor winners?

Just wondering.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
battlebeast,
That set of 6 movies consisted of PD titles in dreadful dupes, I'm sure. I stayed clear of it. All of these titles can be acquired in legit versions or at least be viewed in decent copies via TCM. I know your goal is to own them all, but as I've written you, the PQ does affect your enjoyment and evaluation of the movies.
I'll PM you later to continue our conversation regarding the BP winners.
Jose

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I bought the set for The Racket, mostly, but I have since purchased better copies (Although The Front Page it seems I cannot find a decent copy.)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The best prints nowadays, AFAIK, of The Racket and The Front Page are shown on TCM. The Front Page is not in very good shape.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Oliver! and The Best Years of Our Lives are due out tomorrow and in a week, so I have updated there status accordingly, and Terms of Endearment is still due out in December.

Anyone else have any news on Best Pictures?

A new Edition of Million Dollar Baby is due out next year.

I have a question about Crash: is the Blu-Ray barebones? Does it have any Bonus Features? is it the Director's cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks