What's new

Best Pico Projector for Movies? (1 Viewer)

medium

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Has anyone tried any of the "pico projectors" out there as an alternative to large flat-panels for watching movies in cramped quarters? I've seen these things on a bunch of tech blogs and they seem like a good way to share videos and photos, but there are so many out there and I can't really tell which one would work best for projecting movies in my dorm room at night. I don't need anything fancy, just something small that I can carry easily in my school bag that's battery powered and can project a 40-60" image on a wall or ceiling. An built-in speaker would be great so that I don't have to use headphones all the time. I'll be connecting it to either my iPod or PSP.

Anybody here have first hand experience with these things?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I played with one of the first ones, the first Mitsubishi LED projector from about four years ago..

At least that one was VERY dark, had terrible uniformity (~60% measured,) iffy color, and a tiny squeaker.

I don't know that going with batteries should be important-- there's a lot of stuff that a projector is doing, and the heart of it -- the light source -- needs to be able to produce A LOT of light.

I notice looking around at the "upcoming products" sorts of sites, nobody is talking about light output.

V10Torque

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Rye
I actually just received my AAXA tech P1 pico projector which I am reviewing for another blog, but I will be happy to post my review it here. Manufacturer claims 12 lumens, 640x480 - we'll see
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

genomovie

Grip
Real Name
gene
You should check out projectorcentral.com they have about 8 or 10 of those type projectors reviewed.

medium

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
It seems like most of the in depth reviews for pico projectors are of the first generation devices like the 3m and Optoma. Is see the AAXA and most of the newly released projectors listed on projectorcentral.com but they're more like profiles as opposed to an actual hands-on review.

V10Torque - Do you have a link to more info on the AAXA P1?

medium

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
woah... the AAXA unit is cheaper than the 3m and Optoma even with all the extras. Has anyone else compared it with the other projectors out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks