What's new

Best Payroll System? NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

While it's not exactly the same as the NBA's "Larry Bird rule", the current NFL agreement does allow a team to place a franchise tag on one player which effectively prevents him from becoming a free agent, as well as guaranteeing the player a certain salary based on the top players at his position. There is also a "transition" tag, which gives the team the right to match an offer from another team.

The main difference from the "Larry Bird rule", though is that teams must still fit these franchise and transition salaries under their fixed salary cap, where in the NBA teams can go above the cap to resign a player under the Bird rule. Of course, that doesn't make the NBA' salary cap "fixed", either.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
One thing I like about the NBA's soft cap is the penalty they must pay for going over the cap. I can't remember but I think the penalty that they must pay is equal to the amount they are over the cap and the penalty is spread among the teams below their cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks