What's new

Best Panny DVD for under $400? (1 Viewer)

RichB

Grip
I've got about $400 to spend on a new DVD player. I've liked the old panasonic player I used to have, so I think I'll stick with them. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the available models, so could someone steer me towards the best of the bunch? I don't need progressive scan, but I understand that just about every player is anyway. This will be coupled with a Denon 3803 receiver and my Sony KV-32XBR250 TV. Here are just some of the models I've come across. Can anyone make some suggestions?

Panasonic DVD-RP91
Panasonic DVD A120
Panasonic DVD RV32S
Panasonic DVD RV32K
Panasonic DVD RV30
Panasonic DVD RV31K
Panasonic DVD RV20
Panasonic DVD A115
Panasonic DVD XP50
Panasonic DVD XP30
Panasonic DVD RP62K
Panasonic DVD RV31S
Panasonic DVD CV52
Panasonic DVDCV35 DVD/Video CD/CD 5-Stack Changer
Panasonic DVD RV65
Panasonic DVD CV51
Panasonic CP67 Super Slim Progressive Scan DVD-Video Changer w/ Panasonic DVD RP56
Panasonic DVD CV50
Panasonic DVD CV40
Panasonic DVD CP67K
Panasonic DVD C220
Panasonic DVD CP67S
Panasonic DVD RP62S
Panasonic DVD A320
Panasonic DVD CP72S
Panasonic DVD RA60
Panasonic DVD RV30S
Panasonic DVD K510
Panasonic DVD A160

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The RP91 is an awesome choice if you can get it for under $400, I thought it was closer to $600. The RP82 would be my second choice.

I just checked out the specs on the XP50 and I don't understand, the site lists its retail as $130 MORE than the RP82, yet its features are poorer: no 4:4:4 signal processing, no MPEG DNR, etc. It does have "super slimline with mirror finish" oooh!

I'd be interested in what others have to say. The new libe of Pannys comes out the end of April, so you may want to hold off and see what happens then.

Good luck

Robin Smith

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
You can the RP91 for $378 new at onecall. Forget about the RP82 its been discontinued and is hard to come by. The new line of Panny's won't have any high-end models, so right now the 91 us a great deal.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
According to the hometheaterhifi.com shootout, the XP30 passed many more of their tests than the RP91 did, although I could be reading it wrong.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you're only using it for interlaced video, then the RP91 should be great. If you need progressive scan, then the other players in the RP/CP and XP series are better, except they don't offer aspect ratio scaling.

Personally, I would avoid the new Panny's unless the cost savings is a priority. With very limited use, I found the interlaced output of the S35 to be suspect, but I'm not sure if it's more the fault of my RPTV's deinterlacer.

_Man_

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I agree with the comments about the interlaced output of the new Pannys (S35, S55, F65, F85). If you're not concerned about progressive scan, the RP-91 is probably your best bet of the currently available Pannys, which really only includes the models mentioned here and a few places where you can still get the XP-30 or 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks