Best of the British Floorstanders?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by fletcherS, May 20, 2004.

1. fletcherS

fletcherS Auditioning

Hi all, would like it very much if somebody can give me some insights into these British speaker makes. Receiver is Marantz 7300. Which are the best match and value for money? Thanks a lot

Mordaunt Short MS914
    Acoustic Energy Evo 3
    Monitor Audio Bronze4

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Mordaunts are the best match, no question. I have 902s with a PM7000 and they sound great together. Not sure if it will be the best value of the bunch, but their pricing seems to be pretty decent for what you get.

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Monitor Audio + Marantz has always been a pleasing match to me, but I've not auditioned the Bronzes... it might be the only model I haven't heard.

All MA products I've listened to are great with detail and imaging, have a nice fit-n-finish factor, and are not over-priced. Even with lower-powered Marantz receivers (SR-5000), they seem to perform well.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I have Mordaunt-Short MS 906s with my Marantz SR6200.

The combination sounds FANTASTIC.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I used my 902s with an SR5000 and it actually sounded just about as good as my PM7000. The MSs have excellent build quality, though the veneers could be better looking. The aluminum driver baffles are very cool. The crossovers are well tailored to the drivers. The aluminum tweeters don't have a hint of harshness. You can tell the midrange drivers are metal as well when listening, but they don't create a distracting coloration, just sound a bit on the brighter side.