What's new

'Best of' Star trek TNG Blu-ray set? (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I can't help but fixate on the irony of how the oft considered antiquated and cheesey SFX of the original series turned out to be an easier technical exercise to spruce up for the universe of high definition viewing than its sucessors.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recently started re-watching TNG from the beginning, and the show desperately needs an HD upgrade. The video is often murky and blurry compared to what we are used to these days. As I have said in other threads, if Paramount wants TNG (or DS9 or VOY) to continue to be discovered by future generations (no pun intended), they need to invest in the HD upgrade. The video elements of the show make it look antiquated compared to TOS, which is ironic. That said, we need to understand that this is a huge task - there are more effects elements in TNG than there ever were in TOS, and for all of them to be redone will take a lot of time and money. Patience.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here's a tip for the CBS/Paramount "Bean Counters": Please don't bother converting "Shades of Gray" to HD! In addition to the fact that it's a *terrible* episode, the many clips of the shows from the first two seasons could now serve as a tribute to the SFX effects team of that era. They really did a terrific job considering what they had to work with; and are mainly betrayed now only by the decision to go with 480i resolution and post-production editing on video. Both of those decisions made perfect sense in 1987 for a syndicated show with no network financing.

That said, I'm really looking forward to a HD updating for this series. Starting with the third season, ST:TNG provided a (mostly) stellar five year run of outstanding "anthology"-based Star Trek. With updated effects it could appeal to a whole new generation of Star Trek fans. (It's just too bad that there were only about a dozen great eps from the first two seasons combined.)

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
This was the first TV series I was ever addicted to. I doubt it would play the same way as when I was a kid, but I would sure enjoy rewatching remastered episodes.

The current masters do look pretty grisly on cable. It seems to me that Paramount has to find a way to pony up for the whole series.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
If they do it, they are future proofing TNG. There is going to come a point where hi def will be so pervasive that SD programming will fall by the wayside. A hi def TNG will be good for syndication, Blu-ray, download and any other distribution method they can think of.

Anyway, am looking forward to THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS in hi def. New CGI Borg effects would be real cool.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't think there is any need for CGI effects shots (other than recreating the animation IE phasers and such) The original model photography is really quite good and would be spectacular if just recomposited at HD resolution.

Doug

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The potential upside to remaking the effects in CG is they could break up the repetitiveness of the ship sequences, specifically the short establishing shots, which are all too obvious on all the Trek shows.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think it's a matter of IF they are going to upgrade this series for hi def, but when and how. This franchise is not going to be left to rot.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Seems this thread and the thread below could be merged now since we're talking about the HD conversion:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/259505/star-trek-the-next-generation-complete-set-coming/30#post_3721080

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I came across Reading Rainbow on youtube after looking at the TNG special as TNG was ending it's 7 year run.

It's the Reading Rainbow episode where LeVar Burton takes you behind the scenes on Star Trek TNG. I always missed most of this episode when it aired! There's a segment where LeVar takes you behind the scenes and how the show was edited and the SPX were composited. While it's aimed at kids and not very in-depth, it gives a pretty good idea of how it was done. And how difficult it could be to re-assemble clips to reconstruct each show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks