What's new

Best of Route 66 (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Thanks, Ivan . . . . . this really makes it official and answers the question, somewhat, as to who Roxbury Entertainment is. It appears as if Roxbury has the rights to the series and Infinity is doing the distribution. The "Best of" set issued by Roxbury several months ago via Amazon appears to be a quasi-"home made" effort and it looks like they needed a company (in this case, Infinity) with good distribution channels to really get the season sets out to a wider audience. The press release does indicate that classic commercials will be included but does not answer the question as to whether they are embedded in the shows or included as an extra feature ala "Naked City" from Image. Based on Roxbury's initial release, they'll probably be embedded.

I still wonder, though, about the fate of "Naked City." The brief information at Billy Ingram's "TV Party!" blog suggested that Sony relinquished rights to this other great Herbert B. Leonard/Stirling Silliphant series. I wonder whether Roxbury picked up the rights to this series as well.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The press release does indicate that classic commercials will be included but does not answer the question as to whether they are embedded in the shows or included as an extra feature ala "Naked City" from Image. Based on Roxbury's initial release, they'll probably be embedded.
If I could track down a site for Roxbury on the net I would forward a note of "thanks" for releasing R66 and also to please move the commercials to the special features section (as Image did with "Naked City"). It's odd that still nothing turns up for "Roxbury Entertainment" in a Google search.

And Bob, I'd say your supposition that the "best of" set was a "home made" effort by RE, sans distributer is quite sound. To me that pretty much closes the book on what was a mind boggling mystery for so long.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
michael_ks said:
If I could track down a site for Roxbury on the net I would forward a note of "thanks" for releasing R66 and also to please move the commercials to the special features section (as Image did with "Naked City"). It's odd that still nothing turns up for "Roxbury Entertainment" in a Google search.
I found this listing at Oddpath.com but can't swear that it's the same Roxbury Entertainment that's releasing "Route 66." My computer is also blocking access to the company's web site. For what it's worth, here it is:
http://www.oddpath.com/view/californ...ertainment-Inc

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Wow, the TVShowsonDVD.com article must have given this set a real shot in the arm sales wise, at least at Amazon. As of this writing, it ranked 2,260 among DVD sales at Amazon. If my memory serves me correct, it was something like 21,000 or so yesterday . . . . . not bad for a release that's three months away and has no available cover art yet . . . . . not quite "Fugitive" numbers, but not bad nonetheless.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
...not quite "Fugitive" numbers, but not bad nonetheless.
I noticed the same thing, Bob. And while THE FUGITIVE is seeing it's numbers rising as we move closer to the release date, I'm going to use PERRY MASON's numbers as the gage for the Janssen series. I'm amazed at how well this show has done on dvd. For at least 2 weeks before it was released, and another 2 or 3 after it's release, it was in the top 100 at Amazon. I'd love to see THE FUGITIVE and ROUTE 66 garner such numbers, but I'm not sure that is realistic. If those shows can get into the top 100 a week before release and stay there for a week or two after their release, I'd think that's a success for older fare on dvd. Just my two cents.
Gary "PERRY MASON is still in the top 500 and it's been over a month since it's release - that's pretty good for an older classic" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary, I think "The Fugitive" sales are going to surprise the folks at Paramount, perhaps not in the way that season 1 of "Hawaii Five-0" did, but still well enough that they might reconsider the split season sets for this series. I don't think that "Route 66" will do quite as well due to the fact that it's being released by a smaller studio and likely won't get shelf space at brick & mortars. In fact, I've yet to see anything from Critics Choice/Infinity Entertainment show up at a B&M; I think they're pretty much limited to online stores. By contrast, "The Fugitive" is sure to get space at Best Buy, Wal-Mart and, probably, Circuit City. Incidentally, the Amazon sales ranking for "Route 66" jumped to 897 this morning, so the online "Buz" is starting to take off.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
That R66 has reached this level with 3 months until release speaks volumes, in light of the fact that Amazon's listing still appears "generic" in the sense that there's still no image and no details/description which would lead one to believe that this even refers to a tv series!

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Gary OS said:
I noticed the same thing, Bob. And while THE FUGITIVE is seeing it's numbers rising as we move closer to the release date, I'm going to use PERRY MASON's numbers as the gage for the Janssen series. I'm amazed at how well this show has done on dvd. For at least 2 weeks before it was released, and another 2 or 3 after it's release, it was in the top 100 at Amazon. I'd love to see THE FUGITIVE and ROUTE 66 garner such numbers, but I'm not sure that is realistic. If those shows can get into the top 100 a week before release and stay there for a week or two after their release, I'd think that's a success for older fare on dvd. Just my two cents.
Gary "PERRY MASON is still in the top 500 and it's been over a month since it's release - that's pretty good for an older classic" O.
And, in case you fellas haven't dropped by TVShowsonDVD.com season 2 volume 2 of PM has a firm date:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7715

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
Gary, I think "The Fugitive" sales are going to surprise the folks at Paramount.
I hope you are correct, Bob. I guess I'm kinda jaded and cynical at this point (what with LITB getting the shaft, HGWT being canceled, etc). Believing that the greatest show of all time - The Fugitive - will do great numbers for Paramount should be a no-brainer for me. But the fickle buying public concern me slightly, and I'm not ready to declare that this series will hit a home run. I realize you aren't saying that either, I'm just being extra cautious about my expectations for the sales on this series.
I of course agree 100% with you when it comes to Route 66. Infinity doesn't have the distribution that Paramount does, so of course the sales shouldn't be expected to mirror those of The Fugitive. I'm thrilled they are what they are at this point. Being inside the 1000 mark is incredible for a show that is three months away from release.
Getting back to The Fugitive for a second, I'd like to see the sales hit the top 100 within the next week and stay there for a couple of weeks after it's release. That would send a strong message, and it would mirror what Perry Mason has done for CBS/Paramount. Even if we can't get full season sets, I'm hoping the numbers are good enough to get the show on the same type of release schedule as Mason, which looks now like it's going to get something a little better than bi-yearly releases (every 5 months or so). I'd be very happy to see that for the Janssen series. Of course, the best would be a quarterly release but that may be asking too much.
Gary "quarterly half-season releases equal out to 2 season sets per year - and that's something I can definitely live with" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Gunsmoke has a pretty high sales number on Amazon as well. On another front, The Untouchables Season 1, Vol. 1 has a really bad number, yet we're still seeing Vol. 2. I hope the same will hold for Rawhide, which has a better number than the Untouchables, but still down there.

With Route 66 and Roxbury Entertainment -- Route 66 seems to be their only release, unlike CBS/Paramount which is juggling tons of different series at once. What exactly is stopping Roxbury from releasing Route 66 as complete season sets instead of going the half-season approach?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
jdee28 said:
With Route 66 and Roxbury Entertainment -- Route 66 seems to be their only release, unlike CBS/Paramount which is juggling tons of different series at once. What exactly is stopping Roxbury from releasing Route 66 as complete season sets instead of going the half-season approach?
There's nothing really stopping Roxbury Entertainment (and its distributor Infinity Entertainment) from releasing the show on a season by season basis. But I'd guess that they have some concerns about releasing a 47 year old black & white drama (which Sony passed on releasing when they owned the rights), in a manner that's similar to Paramount's handling of "The Untouchables," "Perry Mason," "Rawhide," and the upcoming release of "The Fugitive." There just appears to be a bit more of angst on the part of the studios when it comes to releasing black & white dramatic series. But, they may also feel that with a list price of $29.99 (and discounted selling price of around $20 to $25) that they can sell more sets than a full season set that lists at $60 (discounted to $40 to $50), particularly to impulse buyers.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
jdee28 said:
Gunsmoke has a pretty high sales number on Amazon as well. On another front, The Untouchables Season 1, Vol. 1 has a really bad number, yet we're still seeing Vol. 2. I hope the same will hold for Rawhide, which has a better number than the Untouchables, but still down there.
Yes, Gunsmoke is doing very well (which I expected). The only reason I use Mason as the measuring stick is that Gunsmoke is a half-hour show and CBS/Paramount seems to only be going the split season route with hour long, black & white drama/action shows. So PM seems to be the best measuring stick, IMHO.
Gary "and I agree, once more, with Bob as it concerns Roxbury/Infinity - they are using the larger Paramount as their template for this type of release" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Now starting to see some of the web sites dedicated to Route 66 (the road, not the series) mentioned by Michael KS in a previous post, pick up the information on the season 1, volume 1 release.
http://www.route66guide.com/ (scroll down a little)
As these sites begin to pick up on this information, this should really help stimulate interest in this release.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Found this article at the web site "Route 66 News" . . . . .

The upcoming DVD release of the critically acclaimed “Route 66″ television series will be a four-disc set of the show’s first 15 episodes in 1960.

Among the special features will be descriptions of the Chevrolet Corvettes used during the series’ run, plus biographies and filmographies of impressive list of actors who appeared on the show.

Also, new DVD sets of additional episodes of “Route 66″ will be rolled out about every six months, until all 116 episodes about Buzz and Tod’s road adventures across America are back in the market.

These additional details about the long-awaited DVD release of “Route 66″ episodes were revealed by Kirk Hallam, president of Roxbury Entertainment, during a telephone interview. Roxbury, along with distributor Infinity Entertainment Group, are releasing the first “Route 66″ set on Oct. 23.

Amazon.com is taking pre-orders for the set, with a list price of $29.98. That’s less than eight bucks per disc. “Route 66″ fans have waited for years for a proper DVD release, and shoddy bootlegs have made the rounds in the interim.

The episodes will be digitally remastered for the best sound and picture possible. Roxbury appears to have good record in this regard. It released a “Best of Route 66″ two-DVD set of 11 favorite episodes, which was widely praised for its picture quality.

Hallam said he hopes future DVD releases will contain interviews with “Route 66’s” directors and supporting actors. Unfortunately, that probably won’t include co-stars Martin Milner and George Maharis, both are in fragile health. Glenn Corbett, who replaced Maharis when he left the show, died in 1993. “Route 66″ producer Herbert B. Leonard died in October.

Hallam said he acquired the rights to “Route 66″ from Leonard about seven years ago and the distribution rights from Sony two years ago so he could produce a “Route 66″ feature film.

Hallam also acquired rights to Leonard’s “Rin Tin Tin” shows so he could produce a “Finding Rin Tin Tin” movie, slated to be released later this year.

Hallam said he always was a fan of the original “Route 66.” He found out he wasn’t alone.

“Along the way, we met so many people who asked, ‘Whatever happened to the old TV show? Why can’t we see it?’” Hallam said. “I realized there was a pretty big fan base who wanted to see it again.”

That convinced him to release “Route 66″ on DVD.

Hallam says the “Route 66″ feature film is in pre-production, with a release date of 2009 at the earliest. He says it already has secured a “major” director and screenwriter. Filming is tentatively scheduled for 2008.

Hallam says he and the main screenwriter soon will take a road trip down Route 66. He said all of the film’s exterior shots will be on the Mother Road, including in Joliet, Tulsa and San Bernardino.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Any update on the possibility of acquiring the remaining NAKED CITYs from the Powers-That-Be or the Powers-That-Were?

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting that, Bob--it sure made my morning! Four years to release the entire series though? I hope Infiinity/Roxbury decides to step up the half season releases should sales exceed expectations. But I must admit, the commitment they appear to have for issuing a complete series release is very reassuring as the number of B&W series I have all seasons for is practically nil. And if Sony were to release this you can just about bet that 15 episodes is all you'll ever see...

The cover art looks nice enough (this publicity shot appears in the opening pages to a recently published companion book). The color is a bit off as the "powder blue" Corvette appears to lean more toward an azure blue--but that's a minor quibble.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob Hug said:
Also, new DVD sets of additional episodes of “Route 66″ will be rolled out about every six months, until all 116 episodes about Buzz and Tod’s road adventures across America are back in the market.
Bob, thanks for the info! I selected this quote from Roxbury since it has been a wish of mine that studios would be more informative with the TV/DVD releases. For me, the toughest part of this hobby is the unknown factor (is the series "one and done"...is it even being considered, etc).
R66 is yet another one that I haven't seen so it'll be a real treat watching them in the "first-class" section with remastered xfrs
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Bob H, you need to be working on a commision :D . My 50's/early 60's section is growing more and more (Naked City Set 1's in the mail and that Untouchables set's unbelievable!). Ditto for Gary & Mike :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks, guys....I was "lost in the swirling maze" of a few beloved 50's/60's series until you guys showed me the light
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have never seen this show, but i am tempted. Very sad to hear Martin Milner is in bad health. I grew up watching that man in Adam-12 then Swiss Family Robinson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks