What's new

Best Multi-Channel amplifier under U$2000,00 (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if their 5-ch is available yet, but Odyssey makes serious-quality, moderately-priced amps.
Greg, I don't know why Klaus hasn't updated his site, but he has confirmed through e-mail as well as phone conversations that Odyssey is not going to produce a 5 channel amp EVER. He said they originally had plans to do so but fitting 5 channels in one chassis was too prohibitive for him, he said they would severely compromise quality and make extreme sacrifices to do so. The best you can get in a single chassis with Odyssey is the three channel.

By the way, I have an Odyssey Audio Dual Mono Stratos and would recommend the regular stereo version for anyone under $1000 budget otherwise I would recommend the Sherbourn for those going 5 channel under 2K, which I also own and have compared Rotel and Anthem to the Sherbourn and I prefer the Sherbourn. Again, YMMV.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Very informative thread. Still no mention of Outlaw. As a potential buyer, this concerns me.

In the same price range (i.e. 7 channels of amplification for under $2K) are brands like Parasound and Odyssey that much better? :confused:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
In the same price range (i.e. 7 channels of amplification for under $2K) are brands like Parasound and Odyssey that much better?
In my opinion, NO. Most amps in a similar price range, if well designed, will all sound similar but not identical. What you are paying for that separates them IMO are aesthetics, warranty, connectivity and of course sound. Where some amps have characteristics that are more forward in nature, others are more neutral, some are laid back. It's all about mating the right amp to the right speakers that makes picking one so hard. If there was an Amp that sounded heads and shoulders better than any other in it's price range, we would all buy it.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
That makes sense, Evan. :) This separates world is new to me, so I appreciate the info.

So, what "flavor" of amp is Outlaw? Bright? Neutral? Warm? I have Axiom M22ti/VP-150/TS-8s, if that helps.

My opinion on the other factors is as follows.

Aesthetics: don't care...it's an amp. Black box, power LED and I'm happy.

Connectivity: Binding posts and RCA ins...don't need anything else.

Warranty: VERY IMPORTANT. I don't make purchases like this every day, so I want to know I'm covered for as long as possible.

Sound: Subjective at best. I tend to prefer an open sound with excellent dynamic range. No "compression" or "breakup" under big transients...but I think that's more a power available/speaker issue than anything else. ;)

gregD

Second Unit

Evan, thanks for the update... I'd sorta forgotten about Odyssey til this thread accidentally jogged the memory.

And yes, your assessment about power amps is on the money... preamps / pre-pros will have a greater influence on sound characteristics... and of course speakers will have an even greater influence... if you're a VERY critical music listener, you MAY detect the minor differences between power amps, if they exist at all... for HT, any subtle differences are virtually indescernible.

If anything, speaker matching should be the primary consideration when choosing your power amp... all above-mentioned makes, including Outlaw, should be fine... furthermore, power amps are fairly future-proof -- it's the one component of HT which can be purchased used, if you're budgeting.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
What speakers are you going to be running?
Are how efficient are they?
Outlaw makes a great product and they have an awesome return policy. I don't think you'll be upset if you get one. I think 770 will be able to drive anything.

Also I would check out the Halo offerings from Parasound.
And I wouldn't discount Adcom.
Here is a good website where you can look at different amps and check out their prices.

www.downtownaudio.com
Also there are some good (albeit older) reviews of a ton of equipment. Just click on "master index".
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

JackS

Supporting Actor
Maybe a little different take on "which one to buy". Name brand amps in the same price niche will all accomplish the same purpose and to distinguish between them takes a much better ear than I have or maybe it's my imagination that tells me there is little or no difference. Considering that there are always "sales" which may allow you to save 20-30%, this is what I'd look for. I will guarantee that what every amp you buy, the moment it's fired up, you will forget the other brands you passed on. A name brand amp at a more than reasonable price is the way to go.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, why don't you try a Rotel amp with it's 5 year warranty, which you'll proably never need. I've owned 5 Rotel amps and nothing ever broke in warranty. My 993 (3 channel) is stille in warrany for about another 18 months. My 956 ( 6 channel) required a minor repair when it was about 7. Rotel is a quality product at a reasonable price IMO.

I have other brands of amps too. I like Adcom and Parasound. Rotel has a better warranty though. Rotel would make a great starter amp me thinks. :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have an all-Axiom setup. M22ti mains, VP-150 center, QS-8 surrounds.

I've been checking out Audiogon a little lately. Most of that stuff is WAY out of my price range, but I've seen a few good deals on there. They usually get snapped up right off the bat. ;)

gregD

Second Unit

Wait a minute... you're not the original poster!... I've been thinking 5-ch all this time, and you want 7...

For $2k, your only option -- new -- is gonna be Outlaw... but I took a peek at Audiogon myself and ran across a sweet Parasound A52 for under $1700... and lookit this Sunfire 7-ch for $2100: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ult&1070476784

Is a 7-ch amp really necessary?... I can't speak for your system or room, but do the rear surrounds really need authoritative amplification?... BTW, are you running QS8s for both the side and rear surrounds? - just curious.

If you have a receiver, could it power the rears?... thereby freeing up your wallet to get a more serious 5-ch amp?

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi Greg,

Wasn't trying to hijack this thread...just conversing. :)

I haven't purchased a 7.1 receiver/prepro yet, but it's coming; consequently, I don't have the second pair of QS-8s yet.

For the time being, I was planning on using the two dipole Kenwood surrounds from my old system for the rear surrounds...should work fine.

As I've stated a few times already, the main reason I'm looking for a 7-channel amp is b/c my center and surrounds are rated 6 ohms and my current cheapie Kenwood receiver is not rated at 6 ohms, only 8. Don't want to risk damaging the speakers if the amp clips or blows. :frowning:

I was considering just getting three monoblocks for the front three...but for a little more, I can just get the 7-channel and be done with it.

BUT, I could get a serious 5-channel amp, then in the future when I go to a 7.1 setup, run the rear surrounds off the receiver. :) HEY! That would work!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

gregD

Second Unit

Hey Michael... no biggie, that's just me getting lost in the thread.

One comment on your speakers... I'm not the final word, but you might research direct-firing speakers for the rear surrounds, as I think that's the recommended setup (dipole sides, direct rears)... dunno for sure, I'm strictly 5.1.

Amps... again, if you need to have a 7-ch amp right now, Outlaw seems to be your best bet @ $2k... there's even room in the budget to squeeze in seven 200w monoblocks: https://www.outlawaudio.com/order.html

But since you don't have your receiver yet, consider this step up for not a lot more money: Rotel RSX-1055 receiver ($1100) is 7.1 with an internal 5x75 amp that can be configured to drive the rears... the 5-ch amp to get now could be the Rotel RMB-1075 (5x120, $1000), or the beefier RMB-1095 (5x200, $2000) which might well be the last power amp you'd ever buy.

Rotel boasts honest power ratings compared to most other mfr's... that 1075 would easily drive your Axioms, as they are very efficient despite 6-ohm load, and the 1095 would anticipate most any speaker upgrade in the future... bang for the buck... worth an audition, especially if music is important to you.

Happy hunting.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, GregD. I'll check all that out.

Heheheh; "7-channel amp or 7 monoblocks?"

I posted that exact thread awhile ago...what a bloodbath. ;)

That's yet another facet of this upgrade I'm contemplating.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks