What's new

Best movie while stoned? (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Back in the day when I used to "Bill Clinton", I watched Happy Gilmore when it came to VHS and I've never laughed so hard at a movie before. It makes me wonder if I wasn't blown out of my mind, would that movie be half as funny as it was. I saw it again when I was clear headed and I barely chuckled.

I second Big Lebowski tha movie is just funny know matter what. But if not for this movie I may never a tried a White Russian in my life, now it's my favorite drink. So now it's damn near impossible for me to watch it without going to the kitchen getting some Kahlua, Belvedere, and milk. That's a thread in it's self, "What movie caused you to do something because you saw it in the movie?"

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
No one mentioned Zardoz? I think it would be a requirement to enjoy the film. :D

Jason

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Romy and Michelle is always a favorite of mine as well as Dude Where's my Car. Love the Star Wars movies that way too.

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
THE SHINING

HOWLING II (tough to take sober)

ZOMBIES OF THE STRATOSPHERE (colorized version...Honest!)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jon, psychedelia is more than pretty colors. Still, though, the finest herb moving around now puts one in a genuine pychedelic state. Sometimes colors result. Sometimes. What were talking about? :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It's true that with cultivating the folks who grow this stuff have increased it's potency quite a lot...one of the reasons I quit, I just didn't enjoy it anymore. It no longer made me euphoric as much as it just made me either tired or extremely paranoid....frankly life can do that to you all on it own, I don't need to pay good money to do it artificially.;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I spent half my teenage years stoned or drunk (stoned was much nicer) and my thing was listening to music. I rarely drink now, and never get stoned just because I don't know anyone else who does, and it's no fun getting stoned alone.

In any case, I had a brief obsession with Tommy and The Wall.

The Forbidden Zone is a terrible movie, but I had such an amazing experience while watching it on LSD that for years after, I remembered it as being in bright, neon candy colors. I was shocked to find out years later it was a black & white movie.

I'd recommend:

Brazil

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Scary-Ass movies you want to avoid while stoned.....

Dagon, Below, Blue Velvet, Deathwatch, Irreversible, Baise Moi.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have taken acid a few times I admit, about four in total over a two year period*, but in case anyone out there is planning on trying LSD & watching a film....my advice...don't watch I Spit On Your Grave!

I made this mistake having never seen the film before & knowing nothing about it....ugg...when the infamous scene came up....empathy pains were felt throughout the room amplified by hallucinogens...oh boy. Don't make the same mistake. ;)

*in fact the entire drug experimentation phase of my youth only lasted about two years...then I just stopped, I had fun don't get me wrong but after awhile I looked around at the "drug/burnout scene" and realised that it wasn't for me, most of my friends during this time who went through the same phase with me came to the same conclusion...we don't regret doing it, it was fun after all, but I like to be able to tie my shoes in the morning, hold down a job and remember my name...er...what was I saying?

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
This happened to a buddy of mine. (Honest, it was a friend...I'd certainly admit if it were actually me.) Anyway, sometime back in the early 80s, he stumbled into Errol Morris's THE THIN BLUE LINE while shrooming. He says it was an intense film experience. I would imagine so...

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Apocalypse Now and The Thin Red Line - when I'm waxing poetic. I could watch Malick's grass blowing in the breeze for hours!;)

When I want to laugh like crazy the normal fare, The Coen Bros., Anything with Monty Python, Farrelly Bros., and my all time favorite After Hours from Scorsese.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Hmmmm, surprised no one's mentioned Monty Python's Life of Brian.

WHOOOPS!! Wrong kind of stoned. :D :D :D

Jon_Jones

Auditioning

It depends highly (no pun intended :laugh: )on the person though. Me, I have been partaking for over 10 years and it doesn't phase me much. TBH 99% of the time I'm high when watching a movie, and I don't have any problems following plot or dialog.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Joe Dirt has the greatest script in the history of filmdom when I am high. It flows so perfectly.

Sober, not so much.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It's true, it depends on the person, metabolisms are different from person to person and that is a definite factor but it also depends on the pot....as I mentioned there is some stuff out there that will zonk you out to the point of not being able to focus on anything but air molecules.
Sometimes, though, when I got stoned and watched a film I actually focused more intensely on the plot & dialog...that is if I could hear it over all of the chewing noises.;)

A film that I do remember getting a kick out of back then was Witchcraft through the Ages (Haxan), a really crappy print was aired all of the time on our local PBS station late at night & I stumbled on it one weekend....it was interesting to say the least & the fact that William S.Burroughs narrated it wasn't lost on me at the time but his voice was sleep inducing...at least I think it was his voice that did that.

Another was The Picture Of Dorian Grey, don't ask why but I found it fascinating to watch while "getting small" as Steve Martin used to say, it was also aired on the PBS station and it was the first time I had ever seen it in it's original form, that is with the color scenes intact....not that I knew that the first time I caught it late at night, all of the years I had seen it before it was only in B&W but this time it would briefly turn COLOR!! WTF? I thought something was wrong with my TV, I kept adjusting the knobs turning it to a different station but it was indeed B&W....then all of a sudden it was color again for a second...HUH? :laugh:
I learned later what was going on but at the time I thought I was as stoned as I had ever been...I was seeing colors man!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've heard "Natural Born Killers" is fantastic on shrooms.

I've never partaken myself (tried pot, didn't like it, stuck to booze, don't really like it either so I basicall ydon't drink, except for the odd Guiness), and honestly get kinda annoyed when I hear about how you have to be stoned to understand something, but my hippy friends swear that NBK is unreal on shrooms, so I thought I'd submit it for the benifit of the culture.

When I was 16, I got stuck on "The Wall", I must of watched it almost every day, only to have it supplanted with an incredable double feature dub of "Bridge On The River Kwai" and "Apocalypse Now". I'd basically watch the whole tape, rewind it and start over. I don't even want to think of what my mental state would of been if I was on drugs as well.*

(Probably would of ended up watching "Weird Science" on repeat, laughed my ass off, and not have been such a social retard).:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks