What's new

Best Looking Catalog DVDs (2 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched the Warner Archive disc of Small Town Girl. This is an exceptional disc with superb picture and sound quality. Anyone who enjoys musicals as much as I do should add this disc to their collection.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robin9 said:
Last night I watched the Warner Archive disc of Small Town Girl. This is an exceptional disc with superb picture and sound quality. Anyone who enjoys musicals as much as I do should add this disc to their collection.

I agree. It does look nice. This was an early WAC release, so possibly it had been cleaned up for a pressed release at some point. A couple of others that look very good are Luxury Liner and Broadway Rhythm.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Robin9 said:
Thanks Robin - I've put it in my cart for my next batch of Amazon imports!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
JoelA said:
I agree. It does look nice. This was an early WAC release, so possibly it had been cleaned up for a pressed release at some point. A couple of others that look very good are Luxury Liner and Broadway Rhythm.
Yes. They must have all been prepped for a possible 4th box of "Musicals from the Dream Factory". Either way I'm happy how they all came out.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
classicmovieguy said:
Yes. They must have all been prepped for a possible 4th box of "Musicals from the Dream Factory". Either way I'm happy how they all came out.
The Golden Age of DVD box sets sure was fun while it lasted. Wake me up when they get around to that 4th box (or 5th box if you count the "Broadway To Hollywood" box that preceded the "Dream Factory" boxes as part of the series AND I DO). I'd like to acknowledge the mild recent tsunami of pretty decent themed Blu-Ray box sets, and I hope that they sell well and that it will lead to more. In the meantime, you'll get all of my fantastic DVD box sets when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, which, believe me, isn't the threat it used to be.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Some of the recent DVDs I've purchased have been in the flimsiest eco cases I've ever seen. They may possibly be slightly worse than the BD eco cases. One of them has developed a tear(!) in the plastic along the back seam.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
RMajidi said:
Gary Tooze's enthusiasm prompted me to blind buy The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine DVD - a 1936 Paramount three-strip Technicolor film starring Sylvia Sidney, Fred MacMurray and Henry Fonda - now owned and distributed by Universal.

A wonderful looking DVD of an enjoyable film. Screenshots are available at Gary's review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/trail_lonesome_pine.htm
I picked this up as well...watched it last night. Excellent quality and for the first outdoor Technicolor film, very well shot. Pretty grim final third but nice to see Fonda and MacMurray so young

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The Long Ships (1964)

Although a somewhat goofy movie that I think was probably made with more than a few winks ;) , The Super Technirama 70 image comes through for the most part. There's lots of detail and color on this Sony/Columbia DVD.

the-long-ships-.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was pleased with the DVD presentation of A Countess From Hong Kong, and despite the strangeness of Brando doing comedy, it got a couple hearty laughs. Element condition and color look really good. I know there's an Italy Blu-ray out there but haven't seen it.

countess_from_hong_kong.jpg

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I am a big Elvis fan and have all his movies on BD or DVD. Last night I watched the Warner DVD of Harum Scarum for the first time in a while. This has to be one of the best looking DVDs I have ever watched. The color, sharpness and contrast are all outstanding. It has great "depth" as well. On my 42" LCD TV the upconverted image looks as good as many Blu-rays.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
John Hermes said:
I am a big Elvis fan and have all his movies on BD or DVD. Last night I watched the Warner DVD of Harum Scarum for the first time in a while. This has to be one of the best looking DVDs I have ever watched. The color, sharpness and contrast are all outstanding. It has great "depth" as well. On my 42" LCD TV the upconverted image looks as good as many Blu-rays.

My favorite Elvis film is King Creole, and that DVD looks very good also. King Creole was shot by Russell Harlan (To Kill A Mockingbird, Lust for Life, Hawaii). Still waiting for the Blu-ray.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dr Griffin said:
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed in another thread; I did several searches and couldn't find a specific thread on this topic. I recently watched the DVD of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" and was very impressed with the DVD's video quality. Upscaled to 1080, this DVD is very near Blu-ray quality. In fact, this may be the best looking DVD of a catalog title I have seen. This got me searching for those titles that are not on Blu-ray that have exemplary video quality for the format. It was a pleasure to watch a catalog DVD release that didn't have any major issues with the transfer. I would like to know of any other DVD-only titles that meet or exceed this criteria. Any additions would be appreciated.
Doc, I ordered the UK DVD of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, based on your post. It was a blind buy - I enjoyed the film and the quality of the transfer was excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. Trouble is, now that I like the movie, I'll probably end up buying the TT Blu as well. You know how it is for us addicts - one disc is too many, and a thousand is not enough!

I've been waiting in hope for a King Creole Blu as well - great film!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Dr Griffin said:
My favorite Elvis film is King Creole, and that DVD looks very good also. King Creole was shot by Russell Harlan (To Kill A Mockingbird, Lust for Life, Hawaii). Still waiting for the Blu-ray.
Paramount is pretty bad with releasing catalog Blu-rays in general, but really bad with the Elvis movies they control. KIng Creole, a big yes on that one, and, uh, where's Blue Hawaii? Not to mention G.I Blues, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Easy Come, Easy Go. They made enough money off the guy over the years, throw the fans a Blu-ray bone. Warner Brothers isn't exactly setting the Elvis world on fire either with all the MGM titles they have. Since Blu-ray came out only Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas??? C'mon.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
John Hermes said:
Paramount is pretty bad with releasing catalog Blu-rays in general, but really bad with the Elvis movies they control. KIng Creole, a big yes on that one, and, uh, where's Blue Hawaii? Not to mention G.I Blues, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Easy Come, Easy Go. They made enough money off the guy over the years, throw the fans a Blu-ray bone. Warner Brothers isn't exactly setting the Elvis world on fire either with all the MGM titles they have. Since Blu-ray came out only Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas??? C'mon.

Warner has released the MGM concert movies in blu, also- Elvis: That's the Way It Is and Elvis on Tour.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Watched the BFI restoration of David Lean's 1950 film, Madeleine, on DVD this week. An intriguing film that starred Lean's then wife, Ann Todd, based on a true story.

The restoration was excellent, even in SD - showing off the atmospheric cinematography superbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks