What's new

Best location for Rear speakers (1 Viewer)

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
The room is a 15' x 20' and seating area is about 4 feet away from the back windows. Since I dont have any wall directly behind the length of the couch, should I mount the rear speakers in the corner? or in the wall where I have 3-feet of wall? And how would I point the rear speakers in the direction of the couch? The speakers will be Energy Take Classics 5.1 which are wall mountable. havent purchased them yet

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I would recommend if possible to mount the speakers on the side walls facing the sitting area.

-------------------------------------------

: :

:S Couch S:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would advise the same thing as David. In my livingroom my couch is up against the back wall and my surrounds (pretty large Swan Diva 2.1's) are about a foot behind my ears pointing directly at each other (14 1/2' apart) and it sounds pretty good (in the "sweet" spot anyway). If other seating positions are often used then you may have to mount them on the back wall or corner of the room. It's all about compromises. If that doesn't work for you then I would find a way to place them in each possible location temporarily and see which sounds best to you. Dolby, DTS, THX and others I'm sure have speaker placement recommendations on their web sites but sometimes room acoustics and personal taste can throw a wrench into what's considered the "proper" way to do things. So, looks like you've decided on the Energy Take Classic's. Nice choice but I hope the sub is up to the task.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
I never would have thought of that. I will have to check if I can put them there because the speaker wire is already snaked through the ceiling to the rear wall then the ceiling was installed. I think I will need a Plan B just in case I cant move the cabling. In case I am unable to put them on the sides, is it better in the corner or back wall? I would need a way to aim them toward the center couch. I have to choose one location because I have to snake the speaker cable down from the ceiling and only making one cut in the sheetrock. I guess aiming them is the most important. It was a tough call between theEnergy and Definitive for watching football and movies. the only reason i went with them was based on cnet review and the wall mountable - really not big reasons - but they were so close i had to choose something:P. do you think i overlooked the sub comparisons. its so hard to choose and havent pulled the trigger yet.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would say the corner of the wall because it would be easier to point them towards the listening area and it would be better for those sitting closer to the sides of the room. On paper, the subwoofer in the DefTech Pro 600 looks to be quite a bit better than the one in the Energy package (thus the higher price). It has a 250 watt amp and a frequency response down to 22 hz (which seems a bit optomistic for an 8" driver) while the Energy sub is 50 watts RMS and goes down to 33 hz. But it depends on how you will use the system. If you plan on cranking it up and like deeper bass then maybe the Pro 600 might be the better choice. I'm sure the speakers can be be wall-mounted, with the proper mount. It's never an easy decision.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
Is it possible to mount the speakers in a corner without a stand or a platform? Or will i need to purchase something to allow the speakers to aim properly from a corner? the most inexpensve way is preferred. usually I dont have the TV loud using the builtin speakers. just average volume but i do like action movies. i want the ability hear explosions and bullets as if I was in the movie itself and to watch a football game and sound like I am in the stadium. I am hoping a refurbed Onkyo TX-SR508 and the Energy's will do just that?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The cheapest way to mount he speakers would be to buy some small shelves, maybe at a craft store. mount them to the wall with screws, anchor bolts, etc. and just sit them on it. In my family room I have a pair of Infinity OWS-1's that are just sitting on a couple of home made shelves. They have light-weight plastic enclosures but have 6" woofers and are fairly large. But they do make speaker mounts designed for that purpose. Walmart has some that are reasonable but make sure they will work with your speakers. I'm sure the 508/Energy's will work well for you. Just make sure you find the best place to put the sub. Room acoustics play a big role in the low frequencies so placement really does make a difference in how it will sound.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
I chose the refurbed Onkyo based on the value since it retails at $400. The dakmart had some good prices on Denon but still at 2x the price of the refurbed TX-SR508. I couldnt find any compromable Denons that are better than the Onkyo at the same price range. I thinkthe SR-508 will be OK but will do one last final search on a compromable priced Denon just to bs sure Any feedback is appreciated :). Then I pull the trigger next week. i received a lot of valuable information on the forums about systems and shelves. thanks for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks