What's new

Best HDTV for watching sports? (1 Viewer)

XMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
Looking to buy my first High-def tv. Would prefer at least a 50 inch display.
Which technology is best for viewing sporting events... especially football and basketball? I've notice ALOT of motion blur with the sets I have viewed at Best Buy and Circuit City. Is there any one technology or set that does not suffer motion blur for fast action sports such as football?

Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You should compare LCDs with Plasmas and see which has more motion blur. Typically, LCDs will have more motion blur, but they are always trying to improve on that perceived deficiency. You may find that DLP and SXRD/LCOS rear projection models might be a bit better in the motion blur department, but you should take into consideration off-axis viewing angles (if that's a deal-breaker or not for you) for the rear projection models.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 60" Sony LCOS (SXRD XBR2) and everyone comments on how good it looks during our football get togethers (Go Pats!).
No one has noticed any off angle viewing degradation.

Al. Wise

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I was at my friend's house on Sunday to watch the Colts-Pats game in HD on his Panasonic Viera 50" plasma. It looked awesome. I was watching for motion-blur since I have seen it in stores on Sony plasmas that were showing football games. The Panasonic had no blurring at all. I've watched hockey at his house too and did not notice any blur there either. Don't know which model number it was but I'm pretty sure it's 1080i since he had it before the 1080p sets were available.

I would definitely recommend it for watching sports on. Have not seen any movies at his house though so can't comment on that aspect.

Craig

Second Unit
In the past few months I had to buy TVs for the family room and a small hometheater setup in my basement. I ended up with a 50" 720P Panasonic plasma in the family room and a 1080P Samsung DLP set in the basement. You can find either one for around $1500 online. I watch a lot of football on the plasma in the family room, no motion blur that I've noticed. I don't watch sports on the basement set, but I don't think DLP in general has a motion blur issue. IMO, some of the best values right now in HDTVs are in the 720P plasmas and the DLP rear projection sets (both 720P and 1080P).

Richard_s

Second Unit
Hey all: I see some Pats Fans here Like me so I know any advice will be perfect. Please don't talk about the Colts -Pats I am still b ummed out but I would like a new TV my current one is a 8 year old Sony HS10 great TV still good HDTV but is in a bright room so time for an LCD LED but budget $2000 and want 55+ (TV not my age but close)

May be some good deals around now but alas I did not do my homework. I don't feel I need 240hz or dimable LED but would like LED backlight. So to watch the Pats what do you recommend in the 120HZ, LCD, LED 55+ TV. Basically I want the picture not fancy features hopefully that will help keep the price down a monitor with component video and HDMI would do don't care about the sound or tuner capability.

Yes I know the Pats can make any TV look good !! Feel free to talk about the upcoming Pats-Saints :)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading about LCD motion blur and off-angle issues for a few years now. I have a 2007 42" Sony XBR LCD.
I watch tons of HD sports, with no blur and a good picture even from the side. I don't know if it's set quality or just luck.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Richard_s /forum/thread/264278/best-hdtv-for-watching-sports#post_3632489

I've been reading about LCD motion blur and off-angle issues for a few years now. I have a 2007 42" Sony XBR LCD.
I watch tons of HD sports, with no blur and a good picture even from the side. I don't know if it's set quality or just luck.
We have a two-year old 37-inch Vizio 720p LCD set in our bedroom, and I do notice motion blur when watching football on that set. There are no motion blur issues on the 67-inch Samsung in our main HT room, though.

The newer LCD sets are supposed to be better in this regard.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Sony only sold LCDs now.

Originally Posted by Ennsio

I was at my friend's house on Sunday to watch the Colts-Pats game in HD on his Panasonic Viera 50" plasma. It looked awesome. I was watching for motion-blur since I have seen it in stores on Sony plasmas that were showing football games. The Panasonic had no blurring at all. I've watched hockey at his house too and did not notice any blur there either. Don't know which model number it was but I'm pretty sure it's 1080i since he had it before the 1080p sets were available.

I would definitely recommend it for watching sports on. Have not seen any movies at his house though so can't comment on that aspect.

allenmark

Auditioning
Real Name
allenmark
The new hdtv technology is great for watching high definition vidoes or sports. It gives the sharpest pictures ever without any blur. Some of the major manufacturer of hdtv are Samsung, Sony,LG, Panasonic, etc.

allenmark

Auditioning
Real Name
allenmark
The new hdtv technology is great for watching high definition vidoes or sports. It gives the sharpest pictures ever without any blur. Some of the major manufacturer of hdtv are Samsung, Sony,LG, Panasonic, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks