What's new

Best floorstanding speaker in the 2-3K range (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So for someone to say that the Paradigms don't even compare to the Totems is ridiculous.
Have you listened to any of the other speakers mentioned? If you haven't, don't go off touting Paradigm as the best thing since sliced bread.

I am a Paradigm owner, and have listened to the v2s and v3s in my own setup, and I have to say, while I felt they were very good, they are definitely NOT some of the the best sounding speakers out there. That is why they were not among my recommendations. They are certainly worth an audition.

You can't base fact on reviews from individuals, because, though they are representative within the number of responders, they are not representative of all of those who own a given product. These reviews are also PERSONAL, not PROFESSIONAL.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So for someone to say that the Paradigms don't even compare to the Totems is ridiculous.
While I just love the entire Totem line, I agree with Darren that Paradigm is one of the better speaker values for the money. I have designed budget home theaters aroud the Studio 100. If you can spend a bit more money audition the Totems and the Maggies and see what floats your boat more. There is probably a bit better build quality on the Totems but $800 is a bit more money as well.

The Paradigm Monitor 5s at $549 is one of the best speakers in that price range as well in case people are looking at a different price point. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Lee, the sensitivity is stated at 2.83v input. Since they are 4 ohm loads the output at 1 meter and close to 1 watt is half of the stated specification; and tube amps don't multiply their output power into lower impedances. I don't know what Yogi's tastes and room size are, but a normal size tube amp could have trouble with dynamics. 50 watts into those speakers should be good for peaks of about 100db/1m per speaker, or 95-98db in room. Decently loud, but not awesome.

As a matter of fact, John, I have listened to the Totems and I think that they are a fabulous, fabulous speaker. However, because their sensitivity is 87 db instead of 90 db, they do not fill all of Yogi's requests.

I do apologize for going overboard on trying to `prove` Paradigms worth, I just don't want Yogi to dismiss them out of hand as being junk. I realize that Paradigm is NOT the best speaker in the world. That said I do believe them to be a great value for the money - an excellent bang for the buck, and they do fit all of what Yogi was looking for in a speaker - that's all.

Are the Totems a better performer than the Paradigms? Perhaps. That is up to the individual to decide. The question is are they $800 worth better?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sound is definitely a personal thing, and what one person will like, another may not. The associated gear that it will be hooked to as well as the room will play HUGE roles in how the system sounds ultimately. In the end, it is up to each person to audition various pieces of the puzzle and choose based on what sounds good to them.

I own Monitor 5s right now, and I have had no complaints about them. I have been a Paradigm owner for nearly 10 years. They are unquestionably one of the best in their price range, so naturally I looked to Paradigm again when auditioning. I feel the v3 Studios are clearer than the v2s, but not in a way that makes them too dissimilar from each other.

Now I am ready to upgrade from them, and after much auditioning, I belive I have found what I enjoy and what works well in my system. I liked the Studio 40s a lot, but overall, the GR Research A/V-2s have edged them out after in-home auditions of both.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I am finding I can live with my speakers' faults, namely a slow upper midrange and less than shimmery clean treble, because they have some of that "big full effortless" sound. Even when I have a recording that isn't so 3-D and smooth sounding, I can still enjoy it.

Whenever I go to a restaurant or pass by someplace where I hear music playing, I try to guess how much of that music is "live." It is that kind of confusion which I am trying to get with my stereo system. Weak speakers, or inefficient speakers and weak amplifiers, will not do that.

I found it's not just about maximum output, but a dynamic thing I don't understand. I didn't listen loud enough to clip my medium size amplifier, but the sound is way better now that I have something more powerful. As far as I can tell, the simplest indicator of how lively something will sound (at any level) is how loud it will go, period. Even if that's beyond what you like to listen at.

Sorry for the above ramblings. I am just trying to convince Yogi to look towards higher efficiency speakers, especially if his priorities may not be "typical" qualities like a really accurate tone. My current recommendations are Klipsch RF-7s and Adire HE12s.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,

So you finally got to hear the A/V-2's in your room, huh? Drop me an email and let me know how you think they compare to the A/V-1's.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't know what Yogi's tastes and room size are, but a normal size tube amp could have trouble with dynamics. 50 watts into those speakers should be good for peaks of about 100db/1m per speaker, or 95-98db in room.
Michael, you could not just admit that you got the sensitivity number wrong? ;) 86db is not too bad.

The bottom line from a Maggie lover with 15 years experience: a 50 watt amp can drive the 1.6s. There are a wide number of tube and solid state amps that I have heard in this range with the Maggies and they play quite loud. (I probably spend too much time in HiFi stores.)

I suspect that Yogi probably realizes that even more important than loudness are accuracy, tonal quality, and dynamic range, to mention a few. Resolving power with respect to low level detail is important too. On each of these fronts, the Maggies excell. But sonics are indeed, as John Garcia stated, a very personal thing and Yogi & others should visit their local audio salon and hear the whole system and make their own judgments.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I own Monitor 5s right now, and I have had no complaints about them. I have been a Paradigm owner for nearly 10 years.
John, the Monitor 5s are one of the very best of the best values right now. I am trying to persuade my neighbor to purchase a pair for his living room. The Absolute Sound and Stereophile both have liked these speakers. They are well built and look great also. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I can't seem to get past this with a good explanation. In my limited experience, a large part of a system's liveliness, dynamic range, and general "goodness" of sound is correlated to how loud it will ultimately go. There's no one point at which a system starts to distort; it's gradual. So it doesn't matter if you never listen to music above 90db; a system that can reach 110db will sound a bit cleaner and stronger than another similar system that can reach just 100db. Personal mileage may vary, but doesn't that kind of make sense?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Michael, what you say does make sense. IMHO: Greater power (relative to the gear/room in question) imparts a system the ability to reproduce sound more effortlessly. If you are running your amp at 80% of it's capability to achieve the desired SPL, your overall quality will suffer vs a system that can do the same at 50% of output, particularly during dynamic peaks. A system that is capable of 110dB (with typical distortion) is an considrable increase in power over a 100dB system in the exact same environment. However, not everyone is looking for 110dB capability.

George, when I am able to write the review (not intended as a shootout between 1s and 2s) I will send you a copy :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
John,

I would like to add that I was surprised how much increasing my amplifier power helped the sound's liveliness, though my speakers and room didn't change a bit. It's not just about the speakers... I think the postulate about loudness capability translating into sound's "liveliness" can be extended to other components in a system as well. If you've ever looked at the circuit diagrams of some high end preamps... they can use supply voltages of +/-60V and higher, even though the output might never swing above 5V. I wonder why. Anyway, never mind... we were talking speakers here, weren't we? :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,

I forwarded to George the email you sent me with your impressions of the two. I figure you wouldn't mind, especially with your PC problems at home.:D

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi:

I'm sure that living in Ct. you have access to a few very Hi-End shops to audition speakers. There are so many speakers to fill your bill, some which have been recommended here.

Allow me my two cents on a few observations: do NOT try Thiels with the C-J, I own Thiels and they will eat your amp for breakfast (86db/3ohm for the CS-1.5).

The first time I heard a MV-55 was a few years ago with large floorstanding Merlin speakers. The magical syrupy sound of this amp (in contrast to the large C-J's) was enchanting. If you add a naturally laid back speaker, it may sound dull in the treble range.

Last year, the local Paradigm dealer, had a pair of Studio 80's V.2 with a pair of (traded-in) Sonic Frontier mono-blocks and it sounded adictive! I'm not a fan of the Sonic Frontiers sound, but the Studio 80 V.2 made a great synergistic match.

I believe that bi-amping a speaker with the MV-55 and the Amp2 from the PV14L outputs WILL NOT work. Both amps have different input impedances and sensitivities. With the utterly different sonic signatures of each driving a two way crossed at (say) about 2-3Kohms, the sound will be completely screwed-up, with completely different output volumes from each driver. Better drive a speaker with one amp or two identical amps, if you wish to bi-amp.

on top of all the recomendations, try a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce or Ci's with your MV-55, you will be surprised! Decisions, decisions...

JaimeB

george king

Supporting Actor
John,

Yes Brian forwarded me your comments. I found it interesting. I own the AV-1s but with the Caps upgrade and Blackhole. They sound wonderful. But everyone has always said the AV-2s are even better. Oh well, I like living, and the wife would kill me if I changed speakers now.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks