What's new

Best DVD player under $500 (1 Viewer)

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to get a new dvd player. I am currently left with only my Sony Playstation 2 for DVD playback at the moment, and I find it less than optimal. Im sure that most any unit out there will give me better results than the PS2. What I was wondering though is $500 enough to get a better than average unit. I've read good things about the Pioneer DVC-563, but this a pretty inexpensive unit. I would like something that will last me for a while.

Right now I only have a Sony 32" trinitron, but I plan on upgrading to something in the neighborhood of 55" once I finish moving.

One more thing, Im really only interested in DVD viewing. I would like the movies to sound good, but I dont need DVD-A or SACD playback

Thanks,
Jason

John S

Senior HTF Member
I recently compared the PS/2 to a $30 DVD player, and the PS/2 was much better....

Probably doesn't help you at all, but the DVD isn't that bad in the game console just some more info in it is all.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
For top picture quality you have to get a model with a Faroudja de-interlacer. These include the Mitsubishi DD-8040 and the Denon DVD-910 - price is $250-300.

C

Chris*Liberti

Also another one which is mentioned real high is the Panasonic RP-82 (does not have chroma bug either) and these go for around $350 on ebay. It also has DVD-Audio

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes the old Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 models have Faroudja and are great but they were discontinued over a year ago. I only listed current available in retail store models with Faroudja de-interlacer.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
The Phillips 963A is supposed to be a good player. It's a univeral player. $499

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Does the NAD T562 have the Faroudja de-interlacer? And if not, how does the NAD DVD pictures compare to Faroudja-based players?

I looked on their website, but there was no mention of it in the specs.

Dave*WB

Auditioning
"The Phillips 963A is supposed to be a good player. It's a univeral player. $499"

I got mine from J&R Electronics for $350. I have been real happy with it. It does SACD as well, but not DVD-Audio.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
If you looking for something even less expensive in the $100 range, the Sigma 8500 chip, although not as good as Faroudja, isn't bad for it's price. The Lite-On LVD 2002 and 2001 use that chip and produce probably the nicest picture quality in that price range, plus it's region free, macrovision free, and plays divx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks