What's new

Best DVD player for FP? (1 Viewer)

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good DVD player for use with FP? I currently have both a Yamaha and a Toshiba DVD player, but neither is very good as they both suffer from the chroma bug (even though I was told that the Toshiba did not before I bought it).

I hate the idea of spending $1,000 on a good DVD player, but I am getting the impression that I may have to if I want to get the most out of my FP.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
My Faroudja/DCDi equipped CP72 bit the dust this weekend. Any flaws jump out at you on a giant screen, so I wanted something of similiar quality. I would recommend reading the thread entitled DVD w/Faroudja & Component Out:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=196165

The discussion has wandered to a discussion of the new upconvering Zenith unit, but reports on AVSforum are that there are some issues with it (especially with people with Digital FP).

I settled on a refurbed Denon-910 from Ecost for $133 (it looks like it's out of stock now, MSRP is $299). The Mitsubishi DD-8040 has also been recommended, as is buying a Panasonic XP30 off Ebay (it'll run you about $300)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I recommend the Panasonic XP30, it has Faroudja and some features the cheaper Denon's don't have. You can usually find one on EBAY in the $200-250 range.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
If you want to throw a five disc changer into the mix, I can recommend the Kenwood DV-5700. It has Faroudja DCDi and video enhancer. There are adjustments galore in the menus. The picture quality is excellent on my 72" wide 4:3 screen and Panasonic PT-L711XU LCD projector. This is an extremely well built player, weighing about 15 pounds, has a nearly silent mechanism, and in my opinion, is one of the best looking players on the market. It didn't matter to me, but also has built in DD/DTS decoding and DVD audio. MSRP is $950, but for some inexplicable reason, eCost sells them for $260. I actually paid $299 last month and thought that was a killer deal.

Aaron Gilbert

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ecost currently has factory-refurbished Faroudja based Denon 1200s for only $199 (retails for $500). It's pretty much the replacement for the 1600 which was a better version of the RP82 (better Bass Management and DACS). They also usually have the Denon 910 which is the 1200 w/out DVD-A for around $100, but are currently out of stock.

Hope this helps :)

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
You don't mention what kind of front projection system you have.

If you have one that handles 1080i well, my recommendation would be the Zentih DVB318. I bought it to supplement my HTPC, and now I'm using the HTPC very little.

It's ONLY used on 1080i upscaling mode; it does so on both DVI and component, but on DVI has a little white crush. I recommend the component outputs.

For the money, IF you're in need of 1080i output, it's hard to been Has Faroudja dcdi processing, too.

Regards,

Jon

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I have the Denon 5900, a high-end HTPC, and a LG 7832 (same has the new Zenith DVB318) at home.

I did also try the new Pioneer 59ai, Denon 2900 and 3800, and the Bravo D1.

On my 3 chips LCOS JVC HX-1U, no contest. The Denon 5900 is the best of the crop: sharpness, color dynamics and accuracy, shadow details, and the "snap".

The HTPC is really close, but not really user friendly for wife and family, and third the LG7832.

I did try all those on my projector. So maybe a different projector will give different results.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice, I will look into them all. And to answer your questions, I have a BenQ PB8220 projector, which is a DLP projector but which does not have a DVI connection. I use a component connection.

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Off the subject, but anyone know where I can get a Zenith DVB318 online?? Ever place I have checked is back ordered till August. Any thoughts??

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Zenith ran out of the first batch, thats why there is none available anywhere until August. The big concern is that the reason for the 3 month delay is to retool the next batch build to disable 1080i component output.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
in the above, replace "is" with "could be" or "may be" or anything that DOESN'T imply the 100% CERTAINTY of the disabling of HD output via component.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
There have been reports that Gochnauers.com is going to recieve a new batch in 7 days on AVSForum (gochnauer's emailed the member).

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Folks aren't concened that it "might be" or "could be" they are concerned that 1080i component output "will be" disabled.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I ordered one of the Zeniths from a semi-local outfit here in Michigan (almost 2 hours away from me). They said they are having trouble keeping them in stock, but they had one they set aside for me. They have another shipment coming in in a few days. It was $225 + tax (not as good of a deal as the other online places, but it's semi-local, and I can return it).

They also mentioned that they had heard about the 1080i over component being disabled with a firmware upgrade in the near future.

I ended up finally pulling the trigger on it because I can't find a Faroudja based player that is jitter free.

The only thing I could have done would have been to pay $300ish on ebay for an XP30. I was watching a used one that was going for about $100 but the auction mysteriously ended (probably an illegal offline transaction). The new ones are almost $300 buy-it-now, over my budget (well, the Zenith is over my budget too at almost retail price). Plus, I am always leery of spending big dollars on Ebay for electronics.

I decided I'd better nab the Zenith while I could get it. The guys at the store said the occasional one they've ebayed goes for about $250 anyway, so I can always return it or ebay it if I don't like it. He said it was the last one available from the upcoming shipment, the rest are spoken for.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Panasonic XP30 is a top-rated Faroudja-based DVD player with CSS=off and several features the Denon's lack, there are several brand new unopened units available on EBAY. I'd recommend the XP30 over that zenith. The Zenith has many reported defects and doesn't support formatting of 4:3 titles for 16:9 HD displays that lock in FULL mode.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
DaveGTP has an X1 (from what i understand), which does not lock HD signals at 16:9 aspect ratio :)

erg, this thread is starting to turn south, im gonna try and stop lookin in here from now on...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks