What's new

Best DVD Changer under $200 (1 Viewer)

WilliamPC

Agent
Searching for a DVD changer and was going to go with the Pany F87S untill I noticed that it doesnt have optical out. Can someone please tell me what the SQ diff is between Coax digital and optical????

Also taking suggestions on other DVD Changers. Setup includeds Sammy 50" DLP, H/K AVR230, Athena speakers.

Thanks!

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Sound quality difference between coax and optical is none, they are the same, just two different methods of getting a digital signal to your receiver. Some prefer optical because it is immune to RF interference, others coax because it is more durable. If I was to buy a DVD changer for around $200 I would probably pick up the Onkyo 702.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gso5hsy...&avf=N&search=

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something like coax vs optical really should have no significant impact on your purchase, unless you do not have any free coax ports. I prefer coax, and I am GLAD this player has coax on it.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Yes John makes a good point, if the only reason you are upgrading is for an optical output, and you are otherwise happy with your current player then dont bother upgrading.

WilliamPC

Agent
Actually the reason for the upgrade is two fold:

1) Current DVD is a Zenith DVD2381 which I find to be a POS. It was a open box buy for $59 at CC. It has progressive scan and optical but often freezes up or jumps and pauses. PQ is adequate at best.

2) Wifey wants abilty to play 5 audio CDs in shuffle play for parties and such.

I think Im gonna go with the F87S. Anyone know about the F84S model at Costco for $99?? It appears to be pretty close to the same.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
DVM1815 179 at ecost, DVM2815 for 249. Refurb Denons. Great price.

2200s are back for $289 as well.

WilliamPC

Agent
Thanks guys, gotta do something soon...

Trying to watch a movie right now and it useless. Just jumped a whole sceen and then froze. Brand new copy of Love Actually.....Grrrr

Thanks!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
It'll probably give you the best pictue quality in that price range. Those two changers have DCDi, and with a 50" TV, I'd think that a solid image is quite important.

BTW, the difference between the 1815 and 2815 is DVD-Audio. The 2200 uses a Silicon Image deinterlacer, also very good, its a single disc model, but has DVD-Audio and SACD. And it does a good job at playing both. Especially ath that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks