What's new

Best DSL Providers (1 Viewer)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gang;

Here's the question; Are all DSL providers created equal?

I'm using Earthlink/Mindspring thru a dedicated line (Earthlink said Pac Bell would not allow thru regular phone line),and although it works ok-there are many times when it just hangs trying to send/receive data.

I'm thinking of pitching Earthlink,and trying Verizon or others-meaning a different server may not hang up as much as Earthlink.

Any ideas? It's not the computer,because we use two different laptops,and the problem's the same. We feel it has to be the provider.

Thanx

CC Rider

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I used to have this same problem with Earthlink/Mindspring. The problem is not hard to fix. You need to change your software settings. Talk to their tech support or do a net search on the problem. The problem WILL go away if you change some things on your end. It's not necessarily a problem specific to Earthlink only.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert!

I'll call Earthlink this morning.

I assumed it was a provider problem,because it didn't happen as often early in the morning-more afternoon/evenings when usage is higher. They say higher usage times can effect DSL as it does with cable modem.

I hope you're right,and i'm wrong.

Thanks again neighbor-San Pedro.

Chris

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news Robert;

Just got off the phone with Earthlink tech support,and she said there was nothing she could do to solve the problem.

She blamed my 900 mhz phone for God's sake.

Don't even have the phone in the same room or in use when i'm having the problems-talk about Denial!

Looks like Earthlink will be losing our business.

Which brings back my original question " Who's best for DSL in Southern,Calif?

Regards

CC

Glenn L

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about southern CA, but here in northern CA I've been using PacBell DSL for about 3 years. I haven't had an outtage of any kind (that was PacBell's fault) in over a year.

My only real complaint is in the past when something did go wrong, it would sometimes take a few days for PacBell to notice & fix the problem.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
She blamed my 900 mhz phone for God's sake.
Don't even have the phone in the same room or in use when i'm having the problems-talk about Denial!
That's actually not entirely off the wall. Do you have a line filter installed at that phone? Our dsl would have intermittant drops of service 'til we installed one on our wireless, which is across the house from the 'puter room.
Another thing to consider, I'm assuming that the hang during send/recieve is referring to your email client (i.e. outlook, outlook express), is this the same piece of software on all of your machines? If so, try a different client. Pegasus mail is a popular freeware client, and can be found Link Removed.
.02 /off
T

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thom;

But not sure the filter issue applies. I receive my DSL thru a dedicated line-Not the regular phone line,as Earthlink said Pac bell wouldn't allow service thru the same line!

So I don't think the remote phone is an issue?

The hang send/receive is during all internet transactions-email,and websites-so changeing email settings won't help there either-but thanks for the thoughts.

I'm going to call Pac Bell,and see if I can use them directly without the Earthlink.Thanks Glenn

Regards

CC

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Adios Earthlink-Hello Pac Bell.

Just signed with PB will be pulling the Earthlink plug in about a week or two.

If Earthlink's tech support had been a little more proactive they might not have lost the account.

Just hope I don't have the same prob with our DSL conx with PB,and it turns out to be our computers after all-aarrrrgggggghhhhh.

CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks