What's new

Best Deal On A 4 to 1 HDMI Switcher...and other questions. (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I am a bit out of the loop regards HDMI 1.3/2.0.

If I gather correctly, 1.3 is the current standard for the cable.

And as far as a switcher goes, does the 2.0 qualification come into play?

I need one that will switch fiber optic as well as HDMI inputs. My Panny BD Player has direct analog outs, so that's no issue, but my other HD sources don't.

All advice is welcome.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the link. I have bought stuff from them before...great company!!

I didn't see anything there that is what I need. Also...still waiting for info regards my HDMI questions.

Ed Guetzow

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward Guetzow
I don't know if it is in your budget but you should check out Zektor.

This link shows a 5 HDMI in to 1 out and does digital audio (coax & optical):

Zektor

I have a Zektor MAS7.1 which has 3 HDMI in and 1 out plus analog/digital inputs and outputs. I use this to switch HDMI sources and my analogs from my Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Denon 1920.

It is very well built and has excellent customer and warranty service.

I don't know about the 2.0 standard but I THINK it applies to the ability of your player to download content/updates directly off of the net and would not apply to the switching.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the info. That is WAY outta my budget. I guess I am going to be looking at having 2 switchers...one for HDMI and on for digital audio.

Nearly every component switcher I have seen has optical/rf digital switching. You would think someone would offer a reasonably priced HDMI with digital audio switcher at prices like the component ones.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The difference is that component is video only, whereas HDMI is video and audio together. With component, you still need to run digital audio separately, so there’s a market for a switcher that does both. In most cases, HDMI is a standalone solution, so most people are only looking for HDMI switches.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for responding, Brian.

Thing is, MANY people have older audio stuff while purchasing a new HDTV and blue ray. I would think there are more seeking what I am than one would think.

Guess it's a 2 switcher situation for moi.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Scooter,

I use a 3->1 HDMI switcher (this OPPO one) to one of the 2 HDMI inputs on my TV, and use the "old" S-Video (+ audio) to connect my VHS player. I let the TV do the input choosing in this case, and if you happen to have a Harmony remote or something like that it may even be simpler.

That switch works fine, costs around $100. It's 1.3 indeed, that's the newest standard (hence they all say the switch transmits "rich vibrant deep-color images" ;) ). There's no 2.0 standard (except for USB, but that's a different connection)

If you really want to switch the Toslink through the same switch, you'll probably pay at least $100 more. Here's an Octava 4->1 HDMI + Toslink switch. Note: I have no personal experience with that one.

An even less expensive, and 4->1 switch (with which I have no personal experience either), is this. But I'm not sure about the shipping costs of that one, it looks like it may be based in Europe.

Cees

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I also use the Oppo switcher that Cees uses and I love it. It auto-senses the active input and switches automatically. Very family-friendly, but it does look like you're looking for more switching capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks