What's new

Best crime/suspense movies on dvd. (1 Viewer)

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I would like to add to the list the recently released The Anderson Tapes. It expands on the similar topics covered in Conversation - great fun!

Amazon.com: The Anderson Tapes: Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam, Paul Benjamin, Hildy Brooks, John Call, Val Avery, Carmine Caridi, Sam Coppola, Reid Cruickshanks, Robert Dagny, Bradford English, Michael Fairman, Stanley Gottlieb, Margaret H

For someone who loves crime/suspense movies, there is a whole world of film noir to discover. The most complete list of the film noir available on DVD that I am aware of (all regions) is here: The Definitive Film-Noir on DVD Resource.

For immediate 'boost' to anyone's DVD collection of fantastic film noir/crime/suspense look no further than at the following collections:

1. Film Noir Classic Collections 1 through 4:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?...sic+collection

2. Fox Film Noir Collection - sold separately. There are more than twenty already released at about 3 DVD per year rate:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?...=fox+film+noir

3. Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection - 15 DVDs at an unbeatable price:
http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchco...2260723&sr=1-1

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Good call on A Simple Plan. It's a favorite of my father's and mine. We love the way things spiral out of control, getting worse and worse as the Bill Paxton character tells lie after lie trying to keep control of the situation.

The book on which the film is based is also worth checking out. The main character goes to even further extremes than he does in the movie, and the plot actually goes in a rather different direction than that of the movie towards the end.

My personal pick for a suspenseful crime movie is The Score, directed by Frank Oz. Plot-wise, it's basically a run-of-the-mill heist movie, but it's put together so well that it's definitely worth watching. The cast is particularly great, featuring Marlon Brando, Robert Deniro, and Edward Norton.

Charles H

Screenwriter
STRAW DOGS, DEAD HEAT ON A MERRY-GO-ROUND, THE NAKED PREY, THE LAST VOYAGE, KALIFORNIA minus the awful "cop-out" ending, BIGGER THAN LIFE, RAWHIDE (1950), SUDDEN FEAR, THE NANNY, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, WHITE HEAT, BLACK LEGION, PURPLE NOON, STORM WARNING, I CONFESS, ON DANGEROUS GROUND. In terms of "emotional investment," IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a great suspense movie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A Simple Plan got great reviews from film critics, but ignored when released in theaters. I don't think it did too well on dvd either. It's a shame because I'd love to see a special edition with commentary, or at least a Blu-Ray release:frowning:
I've always wanted to read the book, I'll have to check it out...thanks. Oh, and I loved the Score!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Of course, the most significant crime / suspense film in the last fifty years, arguably even more significant than either The Godfather or Chinatown, is Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. Don't be put off by the title; there are no on-screen beheadings, no gore, no mass killings like in a Tim Burton genre-fetish movie. Confrontations are on a one-to-one basis mostly, where the emotional violence is gut-wrenching before the weapons are drawn. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is a noir from the inside out. Warren Oates' Benny looks at the world as if from an abyss. One of the few critics who understands the movie, and who doesn't try to apologize for liking it, is Roger Ebert. Read his review here:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia :: rogerebert.com :: Great Movies

Be advised there are spoilers in Ebert's review.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
1)Black rain- Andy Garcia's death halfway through the film is a shocker.

2)Narc-Ray Liotta shines in this one.

3)Fallen- Who would have suspected what was going to happen at the beginning of the movie.

4)The Departed- There are so many twists and turns in this movie that one needs a play card.

PS: I don't want to give away the endings again.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you don't have to give away the ending to give away important plot details that are best seen without knowing.

like the surprise death of a major character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks