What's new

Best Computer Under $800 (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I am in the market for a new comuter. Ive only got about 800 to spend after rebates.

I will use this mainly for internet, gaming, and dvd video editing/burning.

Im gonna be getting a digital camcorder so I need to be able to hook this up easy, firewire?

How is the Dell 2400?
it has 2.4gz with 533 front side bus.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
If you don't mind building your own. Check this out. Its actually not that hard to build your own. I just built my first computer after getting fed up with my 500mhz Compaq. I spent about what they did in the article. A little less because I made my own case. (ahh the perks of having a couple million dollars worth of sheet metal equipment where i work)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Keep checking the Deals section of HTF daily. Wait until you see a computer that will let you upgrade to a Radeon 9600 Pro or above. I'd stay away from the Compaq at Wal-mart. If something goes wrong with the Dell you have things such as the user support forums. Plus more people on HTF have a Dell rather than a Compaq (again for support purposes).

The 533mhz FSB means how fast the devices in the computer are able to talk to each other. Basically the mobo clock. 533 is Intel's 2nd fastest FSB, looking on Pricewatch it seems you can now go to 800, and for just a little bit more.. but I think it will be easier to find a better deal with 533.

You will be surprised at how easy it is to edit via firewire and a MiniDV cam. Once you plug it in to your comp everything can be controlled from your computer. RW, FF, Pause and capture everything you want. Rename the files and start editing in Premiere or something similar. Just be sure to have at least a 60-80gb HD, the files eat up space fast.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
I second building your own. I built my first in fifth grade, and if I could do it then you can definatly do it with a few hours of reasearch now. Plus, you have something I didn't free unlimited tech support in these forums. You can build a really nice computer for $800 much nicer than you could buy especially from the jacked up prices dell charges.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i am no dell fanboy although i have owned my share of their laptops. but i have to point out that, AGP equipped or not, it is though to beat the deal in the deals section today for a P4 2.4gig at 350.

DellSB - Dimension 2400 2.4Ghz P4 with 256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB HD, 48x CD-RW, Speakers, 56k Modem, 10/100 for $349 after Rebate with FREE Shipping! (Posted by: Brian)

granted you need a monitor but for 350 that is next to impossible to beat. yeah you could build your own but by the time you buy a decent mobo and processor you have spent 300 easy.

i see that you have gaming and video processing on your list of tasks for this computer. the dell above will do these tasks but not as fast as a computer built to do those types of tasks. if money is really not an issue and you want to spend 800 you should be able to build a really nice computer.

however, i do what you want to do (with "some" gaming) with a P4 1.7gig, Nvidia Geforce 440 Go 32mb, 512mb DDR 2100 on a laptop with no problems.

i just bought a AMD 2400+ and overclocked it to 2.2ghz on my desktop and it also does all the above just as well.

do your own research and look around alot before you make your purchase. you would be surprised with what you come up with.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It's a swell deal for your grandmother but for gaming and DV editing you can do much better and still stay under $800. You get what you pay for..

Wait until a 4600 or better pops up.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Machine recently sent to a client under $800..

Athlon 64 3200+
512MB DDR
160G HD
Pioneer A06 DVDR

etc.. anyway, cost (albeit, without a monitor) $760.

You can do -much- better for under $800 for video work, etc. at this point in the game ;) Why settle?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, Ill keep cjecking and see what come about. I really want to possibly upgrade the video card in the future. Ill keep that in mind.
thanks!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I've been considering upgrading my desktop as well and been runnning into the same issue; there are some really good deals out there but the one thing they all lack: a solid video card. I'd venture to say that a good video card will cost the most out of all your components, including cpu.

I'm still window shopping and debating whether or not I want to build again or just get a pre-fab. The market has tightened up the gap between the 2 choices in price so it's an even harder decision now.

DougR

Second Unit
Dave,

I forgot to mention that you could still get a decent PCI Video Card to upgrade the 2400. I've got a 2350 ( Dell) and put in the 9100 Card from Tiger Direct.
But see that it doesn't appear to be "In-Stock" anymore ??

The others listed would work.....

Tiger Direct

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I'm not a dell fan, but you're on drugs. Dell prices are getting to be silly, back ally taiwan level. I have seen new machines, with full on site warranty for under $300. I couldn't put together a system with even raw shit components for $300.

I'm not saying the 2400's are barn burners, but for anyone looking for a basic email, web, office style PC- there is simply nothing "jacked up" about the Dell prices.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks