What's new

Best Computer Speakers (1 Viewer)

RHui_BC

Auditioning
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good set of computer speakers for my gf's comp. Budget is under $800bux. Is there such thing? I don't want to go amp+speakers, I want a simple all in one system.

Is there anything else other than the Klipsch Promedia 5.1?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The Logitech Z-5500 is pretty impressive. I have an older 4.1 system and really enjoy it, and the 5500 is better in every respect to what I already have. It even works as a complete home cinema speaker system as it can decode DD and DTS - so just add a consumer DVD player with digital out and hook that up to this and you have a very nice 5.1 system.

Logitech has one model higher up than the above with wireless rear speakers as the chief gimmick, but the sub is much weaker and in general I don't think the wireless speakers make up for lesser quality of components and higher price. Just my opinion, of course.

The top of the line Creative stuff isn't half bad either. Personally I'd go with either Logitech or Klipsch, probably.

The Klipsch Ultra 5.1 is quite an impressive package. It's not available where I live due to there not being a 220 volt variant, as far as I know, or else I would already have upgraded to that...

But you can't go wrong with either the Klipsch or the Logitech, I'd say, unless you have seriously audiophile requireiments - and in that case your budget isn't enough anyway, plus you'd have to go with separate amp, speakers etc to get anything substantially better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazing!

Before I even opened this thread I was going to recommend
the Logitech Z-5500, as that is the exact speaker system I
have been using for the past two years.

Kimmo beat me to it!

Interesting thing about this speaker system is that it has been
around for a few years but still got the highest rating for PC
speakers in its class in a MAXIMUM PC magazine roundup not
too long ago.

Oh, there have been newer Logitech speakers introduced
such as a very identical PC surround system with wireless rears.
However, the reviews were not very favorable towards the
performance of those wireless rear speakers.

I think you'll be very happy with the Logitech Z-5500 and it
certainly comes in at half the cost you were considering.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I will also recommend the Logitech Z-5500, and with your budget I would recommend purchasing a capable sound card as well, such as a SoundBlaster X-Fi. Enjoy!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
There's no wire between the speaker and the amp, but there's a (long) power cord to plug each of those speakers in. And the wireless seems to interfere with regular wireless networks.

Although the SRP is higher than the Z-5500, the street price is now lower. Seems like they're not selling and/or they're phasing them out.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Clearly a recommendation from an actual owner is more worthwhile than my more synthetic opinion. ;)

Yeah, the wireless variant is also weaker in the sub department for instance, so I fail to see its allure compared to the the 5500 powerhouse... and apparently I'm not the only one.

Mothrog

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I own the Klipsch Promedia 5.1s, and while they do sound good, I'd never buy them or any other Klipsch product again. The Klipsch 5.1s have a design defect that causes the amp to fail after the speakers have been used for a while. In my case, it was a couple of years of very light use. In others' cases, it has been measured in hours, weeks, or years. Some fail the same day you buy them. Those who have had their set repaired often get a year or so down the road and find that their set has failed again. But, the biggest problem is Klipsch refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem at all, and the only thing they do to fix their problem is have you shell out $90 of your own money to have them repair the speakers, and you also get to ship the sub (~30 lbs, which contains the amplifier) at your own expense, so you get to shell out something like $150 to fix a problem caused by Klipsch's design on a $300-400 set. If you want to read more people's experiences, head on over to Klipsch's website, Amazon, and there's also another webpage which I can't post because I'm new and can't post URLs. Bottom line, I've never heard the Logitech Z-5500's, but I'd take them any day over Klipsch's lemons.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Good to know, maybe I shouldn't worry about not having found any 5.1's. My Logitech set has worked flawlessly so far at least.

According to what I could quickly glean from their forums, it was a resistor that tended to go in 2003 models or earlier. Maybe it's more widespread than that, who knows, but that is what I saw after a quick look.

Anyway, good info there, and sorry to hear about your woes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks