What's new

best center channel speaker for around a 100$ (1 Viewer)

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
thanks, ill look into em. i cant really match the center to my fronts as the fronts are about 5 years old i prob should of mentioned that in the beginning maybe i should just go with dayton or mtx ? i dont know
thanks again for the answers its really nice to actually get real answers from ppl trying to help!

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yes, that is helpful information. You didn't even mention that you had fronts in your original post.

Anyway for a center around $100, you could also check out the Athena center channels at Audioadvisor.com. These two are $100 - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=ATASC1%2E2
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLSC50

I have the LS-100 which is great and would be a better match to your towers but is $220 on Audioadvisor right now. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=ATLSC100 I bought mine on sale at FutureShop for $175. If you keep an eye on Audioadvisor's website, they might have a sale and the LS100 could get closer to your price range. You could also

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
The point people were making is valid ticks. It's very hard to match up different speakers to get the imaging across the front to sound right. I just thought you were in a position that you were locked in to the fronts you have. In that case you really need to be able to try several different center channel speakers before you can settle on one that works best for you. What works best still isn't likely going to be as good as a setup where you have identical speakers across the front though. Matching the character of different speakers is VERY hard if not impossible. All you can do is the best you can do. At this point I think you really need a good retailer that will be willing to work with you or a place to sell your used center channel experiments after you find that they don't work well with what you have.

What you're doing is a lot like how things were a decade ago before HT became as established as it is now. It took me years to really figure out the best setup for my center channel. I tried a number of different combinations. It turned out to be right under my nose all along in that the speakers in my big screen very closely matched the character of my towers. I was lucky in that regard really though I still have issues with this setup. In fact I was trying to talk my bro in law into letting me try his Polk center channel out just a few days ago. So I'm still trying to do the near impossible really. It's just VERY hard to get what you want to do right.

These guys were trying to give you good advice. I just don't think they picked up on the fact that you were locked in to what you have or at least you were really hoping you could keep what you have for the fronts. This is the kind of thing that makes people say HT and music systems should be separate. But there is a chance you can match your speakers with a center channel. It's just going to take a lot of work. No single choice is likely to be best for you. No one is going to be able to help you really. You just need to try different speakers until you find one that works well.

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
thanks i think im going with this one AS-C1.2 Center Channel Speaker

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
this all reminds me of bobby. but of course bobby could mature and grow up and learn. i think ron white put it best when he said "you can't fix stupid."

did i mention, a 3 inch port would definitely improve the bass on any tower speaker. some audio engineers are just to dumb to realize they should all be this way.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

This makes sense now. Also something to consider, depending on whether or not your fronts are huge, is getting a center that has matching fronts that you like (you can probably find the polks to audition, I don't think you can audition the athenas). Eventually you can move your current fronts to the rear and get the fronts that match your center. Timbre-matching the rears to the fronts isn't nearly so important. But if your current fronts are huge then that might look stupid.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
It's a classic case of "you can't get there from here" but if someone wants to try anyway more power to them. We don't have to be condescending to point that out. It is possible to get reasonably close. It just takes a lot of effort.

I guess I'm gun shy when I see condesending attitudes regarding audio. If you've spent any time at all on rec.audio.opinion you'll know why I feel that way. It's endless once it gets started. I'll offer a couple of examples just to illustrate my point. Check out the thread on this web page and then compare it to the one on this web page. If you pay close attention you'll notice that the same people are flaming the heck out of each other. One thread is from 2007 and the other is from 1997. The same sick flame war has been going on for at least 10 years there. All people do there is flame each other. It's a useless battle and no one really benefits from it.

I guess I just have this thing about people flaying each other over audio because it can be endless. There's no way to prove a point. It's all opinion and people can get very strident about opinions and it doesn't really serve any purpose to do that IMO. But that's my opinion of course. Feel free to flay me if you choose and I'll feel free to look elsewhere for civil behavior.

It seems to me that opinions on audio bring out the worst in a lot of people. I don't get it and I don't want to. Most of it seems to have a lot to do with blatant snobbery (and I'm not saying that is what's happened here). It's a waste of time. If someone wants to take your advice they will. If they don't then probably it's going to be their loss. But then again maybe they can't afford to take your advice. Not everyone has an unlimited amount of money to spend on a hobby and not everyone wants to spend a bundle on couch potato equipment.

We can ALL learn from each other. It shouldn't be any skin off of your nose if someone doesn't want to listen to you or anyone else. I could easily take some of the comments here and put them in a certain context and start a huge battle over them. I see no point in that. I'd rather try to offer what help I can offer and take any help I can get. If people don't listen to my suggestions that's their loss. I won't flame them for it because it isn't worth the energy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm fairly certain there is no point in continuing this thread.

Jeff, I am the first to admit I don't always phrase things the best and tend to get a bit impatient. The real problem is the OP came in, asked a question, then shrugged off every suggestion he was given as invalid, because his lack of understanding said it was. This gets frustrating, particularly when you see several people trying to guide him the the right direction. The basic fact is, asking for any random center speaker is starting in the wrong direction. People tried to help him, but he didn't want it.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
and now for the analysis of the analysis...

in general i agree. but this is a place i like to hang around and if there is a real idiot patrolling, i want 1, for them to go away and 2, for the other fine members of the community to avoid wasting their time dealing with said idiot. when someone has proven to me that they do not deserve my respect, i may choose to entertain myself by indulging in some milder forms teasing. frankly i wouldn't call anything i was involved in here (or john rice) flaming, that would be much closer to the tick's behavior. like you, i would rather give a thoughtful explanation of my viewpoint than call people names.

one irony of course is that i recommend the athena as series very often. but honestly i hope it sounds like crap with his mains...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The OP is no longer an issue. I am requesting this thread be closed. All it serves to accomplish at this point is to cause more useless friction.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not if everyone just walks away. It's a good strategy and should be tried more often than it is.

M.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs

I sure hope they do! There's something oddly hillbilly like about having non matching speakers! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks