What's new

Best Buy to Eliminate DVD Inventory & Anime (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Well, the locak BB store continues to eliminate its DVD inventory. I'm starting to wonder if maybe BB is out of the DVD business. They've eliminated their anime inventory, their TV on DVD stock seems to have decreased from 5 aisles down to 2 aisles. I think I've purchased only one DVD boxed set from BB in the last 18 months.

All of my purchases go through Amazon.

Even eliminated all purchases at BB since I encountered a rude employee who would not let me see an item I was interested in buying until after I purchased it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think BB/Future Shop/etc have been slowing exiting tvshowsondvd. I think they are not seeing the interest that was once there as much as five years ago. So, the stores are looking at better ways to generate revenue. I for one do not buy any dvds from retail stores and do all my shopping at amazon. I like amazon because it delivers for free and you can get some good deals. I used to go to Sunrise Records in Canada, but, i found there new releases very lacking, especially when i like certain shows and they normally do not bring them in.

I am happy with my collection so far, especially around the shows that i have completed and/or about to complete. I have lost hope on shows like growing pains, SWAT, Benson, One Day at a Time, Family ties, white shadow, etc.

I am glad that i have completed shows like Magnum PI, F-Troop, Starsky & Hutch, Get Smart!, Married with Children, Star Trek, Riptide, Three's Company, Rockford Files, Good Times, Sanford & Son, etc.

I am looking forward to completing Emergency!, Cheers, Star Trek Enterprise, etc. I still look at the new releases and that is my focused.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know what you mean about rudeness at Best Buy. Some new electronics company should give them a run for their money. Right now, they are all we have in my area and they are not well stocked and my family has encountered rude employees on more than 1 occassion. Makes you wonder if they caused part of their own economical downfall.

Originally Posted by kemcha

Well, the locak BB store continues to eliminate its DVD inventory. I'm starting to wonder if maybe BB is out of the DVD business. They've eliminated their anime inventory, their TV on DVD stock seems to have decreased from 5 aisles down to 2 aisles. I think I've purchased only one DVD boxed set from BB in the last 18 months.

All of my purchases go through Amazon.

Even eliminated all purchases at BB since I encountered a rude employee who would not let me see an item I was interested in buying until after I purchased it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The usual time I buy at BiBi's these days is if someone gives me a Gift Card for a Presant. Most of my DVD Purchases these days are from "The Big River", "DeeDee's", "Targhee" and "Wally's", along with Anime Purchases from "The Mercury Astronauts"

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I find Best Buy to be OVERPRICED on their dvds. Most of my dvd purchases are at my local walmart or online retailers.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kingfish

I find Best Buy to be OVERPRICED on their dvds. Most of my dvd purchases are at my local walmart or online retailers.
+1. I think I've bought 2 TV/DVD sets at BB since '04. I buy 99% of mine on the 'net, mainly from Amazon.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I find Best Buy to still be competitive on new releases but on catalog or smaller TV titles, I don't even bother to look there. Even if they have it in stock, it's generally much more expensive than what I'd pay on Amazon.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
we are still in an overall very bad economic mess and that can't be understated in the stocking habits of stores and release decisions by studios. Most people don't spend what people spend here and even if they did buy a fair amount of DVDs etc, they are likely buying less in this economy.

I would add on another note, in the last year I have got some pretty good deals as a B&N member with their coupons at local stores - so I have shopping their more and also hoping that they keep their in store media section going, because despite its size, they have a relatively decent selection of music etc.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The thing is that I walked into Best Buy wanting to buy an iPod but the stupid BB employee wouldn't let me see the package until after I bought it. Let's just say that I refused to buy anything if I cannot see it first and so I told the security dude at the front door that they just lost a $300 sale and went across the street to Target.

Over the last year, Best Buy has lost a lot of business from me because not only have their employees become more rude but that I noticed after Circuit City closed its doors, Best Buy started marking up all of their DVD's. 99% of my DVD purchases come from Amazon. I've even stopped buying DVD's from Target since Walmart tends to get a lot of bargain priced DVD boxed sets and at a better frequency than Target.

Walmart's cycles out their DVD "bargain priced" boxed sets about every two weeks. Best Buy's customer service has really gone into the toilet since Circuity City closed its doors and I very rarely go to Best Buy unless there's something I need that Best Buy has gotten in.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
David, because online retailer don't sell these bargaina priced DVD sets. Walmart and Target have been rotating different titles out on a regular basis. Walmart is a great find because they sell older boxed sets of TV shows for right around $15-20.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I say to Borders and the others cutting back on the back catalog stuff what I told a Borders employee Saturday who said I could special order my not in stock item:

"I came here because I wanted the book today. Why would I special order from Borders at full price and then schlep here to pick it up when I can order from Amazon at a discount and they'll deliver it to my door?"

That, by the way, is exactly what I did. It shipped today.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by kemcha /forum/thread/282862/best-buy-to-eliminate-dvd-inventory-anime/120#post_3661127

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
A "Dealer Card" is a Gift Card (Usually for $5.00 or $10.00) that the Auto Dealers give away as insentives to come to their Dealerships and look at the Cars they are selling. They send you flyers that mention them in the mail. I am on the mailing Lists of nearly a dozen Auto Dealers where i live, and about every six weeks one of them has their little "Promos" going on. I take the flyer they send me, go over to the Dealer, answer a couple of questions, pick up the card, then BEELINE to the Store (Wally's or Targhee), mand "Relieve" them of a Box Set or Movie!

It's good, cheap Entertainment!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
William:

I'd like to think I know a thing or two about finding deals at places like Best Buy...but I, too, had no clue what you were talking about when you referenced "dealer cards."

I'm not sure the Rio Linda crack really applies here. I appreciate Rush Limbaugh and his abilities to communicate as much as anyone, I suppose, but when he uses Rio Linda it's usually in a rather sly derogatory manner--like he needs to "dumb down" whatever point he's trying to make. I would guess that's not what you are looking to do here.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Absolutely seconded. I've found all five seasons of Babylon 5, the first and third of Voyager and Enterprise S1 at Wal-Mart for $19.99 in the last four months or so. It doesn't take much time or effort to stop into a Wal-Mart to scan down their DVD aisles. I do so once a week. Enterprise was last week's big winner.

Originally Posted by kemcha

David, because online retailer don't sell these bargaina priced DVD sets. Walmart and Target have been rotating different titles out on a regular basis. Walmart is a great find because they sell older boxed sets of TV shows for right around $15-20.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Lucky you, Jason. None of the local Walmarts in my area have any copies, they never got them in. I wish I could a copy of the Enterprise set for $20. I've rather much enjoyed the entire series, with the exception of the third season, which was the worst of the series.

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Another store that's become "Cheese-shopped" (Monty Python fans will know what I'm talking about Went in there a few years ago to get some birthday gifts and it was almost a re-creation of that sketch. "Do you have Saturday Night Live?' "No" "The Fugitive" "No" "Monty Python's Flying Circuis" "No" and so on.

Ultimately they lost me as a customer when, after some bickering, the store I was at called another location to locate a laptop that was on sale. The other location said they had it & gave me the name of the person to talk to. After driving over an hour I arrived and met the guy to be greeted with a "do I HAVE to work" sigh! He said "Oh, alright I'll look in the back" and promptly left, in the opposite direction of the back room. After about 7 minutes I knew something was up so I tracked him down joking around with another employee. I asked him was he going to check on it, to the response of "Alright I'm going!" and headed in ANOTHER direction opposite the back room. I yelled out "Hey isn't the back room over there?" "Yes" and gave me a blank empty stare for about 20 seconds. I shouted out "WELL WILL YOU GET IT?" Then a manager came up to me, speaking like I improperly scolded his child "Is there something wrong?" and I explained the situation. He went in back for a total of 6 seconds and came out with "well we don't have it" "Okay Can I get a raincheck?" "No" "Okay what now?" Well we have these laptops over here (which naturally were $200 more). I asked if I could get some sort of discount since they other one wasn't in and I drove all the way out there? "No" I told him they said they had it, I drove over an hour to get here, to the response of "Yea, that happens". I told him I was an unhappy customer and what is he willing to do as a manager to keep me as a customer. His response was "Nothing". I left, went to the front desk to complain to the store manager, he WAS the store manager! Yea I think BB is going toe way of CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.