What's new

Best Buy setup (1 Viewer)

Pete Bishop

Agent
I am looking to buy the best buy setup w/ the Yamaha HTR-5740 reciever and the klipsch quintet speakers and sub. It retails for $869.99. This is the price range I'm looking to buy. Does this sound like a good setup? The reciever is only 75 watts per channel, but the rep said that yamaha lists rms wattage while the competitors like sony, Pioneer, etc list max watts.
Is that true?

I know its not a killer system, but consider that right now I have a pioneer 5.1 reciever w/ a radioshack speaker setup and instead of a sub my 2 fronts are 12's.

Thanx for the info!

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
The rep will tell you anything to get you to buy his/her product. I've never heard of Yamaha having any exclusive method of measuring their wattage. I suggest you listen to it and other similarly priced packages and pick one.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You can get a Denon 1604 + Energy Take5.2s for that price...you can actually get alot for that price...you might even be able to piece together a small Paradigm (Titan/Atom) system or something of the line. Go SHOPPING! There are other good buys outside of best (or not) buy.

Listening to different systems and picking which you like best...that is the key. Wattage isn't as important. Doubling wattage makes for a 3dB gain. Not much.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
I think some manufactures do list there wattages different, I just bought a yamaha and replaced a sony that stated it had more watts than my new yammy, and i can tell you the yammy is way louder and clearer than the sony was, I am happy with my htr-5760 love this thing so far.

Chad K

p.s You can get a 5760 onlin for what best buy sells the 5740 for.I bought mine at best buy so icould return it for something different if i wasnt happy, you pay a little more but to me its a good peice of mind being able to take it back and not have to ship it out and wait on something else to be shipped tom me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks