Best Buy sells Buffy season 2 for $70!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark E J, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I went to my local Besy Buy to pick Buffy s2 and found to my horror that they are selling it for $69.99. That's 10 dollars OVER the SPR! It was 39 two days ago but jumped 30 dollars yesterday.

Is BB's all over selling it at this marked up price or is my local store trying to pull something?

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It should ring up at $49.99.

Dave

3. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

No the check-out rang up 69.99.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Then your store is screwed up. [​IMG] Even the Best Buy website is $49.
    -Dave

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not sure where you're located, Mark, but I saw the same sticker price at the new Best Buy that opened this weekend in New York City (first ever in Manhattan). There was a tiny sign on the shelf that listed the price as $39.99, but every copy had $69.99 on the price tag. I don't know how they were ringing it up (I already have the set).
    BTW, I'm moving this to Retail/Wholesale Vendor Feedback.
    M.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

That's a load of crap man, you should really let someone know about this.

The one I was at had the same price, but it rang up at $39.99.

They're ripping you off!

7. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

I would definately take it back!

I purchased mine at Best Buy this past Saturday (in OKC), they also listed it for $69.99, though a sign on that shelf read $39.99, that was the purchase price. That sale may have ended, but $69.99 is out of league, even Blockbuster doesn't mark-up that much.

I believe it was about $42 at Wal-Mart.

Jim

8. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

I think he is right. $69.99 is what BB is charging. Wal-Mart has it for $42.44.

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

My Best Buy sold it to me for $39.99 and they even took another 5 bucks off if you got a Buffy Season one at the same time, though I allready had S1.

I would go back and complain.

Max

10. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I sure hope this is just a mistake. Best Buy (at least in my area) has been known to pull this kind of stunt (charging $5-$10 over MSRP) with new release PC software in recent years. After a few weeks, they would have a sale and finally drop the price below MSRP (as any store named Best Buy should). I used to make all of my software purchases there, but I stopped once they began that practice.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Isn't the MSRP $59.99 [​IMG]
    My Buffy came marked as $69.99... but rang up at $34.99 (bought Buffy:S1 at the same time). Regular price should be $39.99.
    Go and complain.

12. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya, I noticed that too at my two local Best Buys. All the boxes had $69.99 stickers on them, which I thought was very odd. But I bought mine with the ad for $39.99 week of release. I guess they have to make up some money on them some how...

13. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I recommend ordering it for $49.99 at the BB website and then doing an in-store pickup.

14. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, $69.99 sticker at my Best Buy as well. LOL, I just ordered it from Amazon for $41 total with the 5$ SAVESAVESAVE coupon!

15. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Thanks for all the responses. I guess BB is really hoseing the customer with this. BTW I did not buy the set, when it rang up as 69.99 even though the shelf hade a sign that said 39.99 and they refused to sell it to me at the cheaper price I put the set back and walked out. I'll be getting it elsewhere. Thanks again.

16. Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas Stunt Coordinator

Last week the Best Buy here at Pentagon City had it on sale for $39.99 with sticker at $69.99 (I didn't notice the sticker until the guy manning the register said "$30 off?!?!").
    Best Buy stores are often bad about changing the sales prices before Tuesday items come in. This was a major promotion last week, complete with a Season 1/Season 2 savings (but David Lambert already told you in David Lambert's Weekly Roundup TM.) I am disappointed, but not surprised, that they left the signs up. [​IMG]
    Aaron Thomas
    P.S. That's supposed to be "you" in the general sense.
    That is, I'm not trying be snide - I just like to give David Lambert's Weekly Roundup the free product placement it deserves. [​IMG]