What's new

Best Buy Reward Zone, I don't understand the benefit (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if I'd pay for this after my free year runs out, but we'll see.

I should be getting my intro package soon, I just signed up for my free rewards card last week and already have a lot of purchases on it. I would say on a low-purchase month I spend $50, and on a high-purchase month $100+, so the return for me would be about $5 every 1.5 months, or about $40-$45 a year. And that's only on DVD purchases. I recently bought a $100 printer, and will probably buy the Pioneer 563A there too. Oh, and video games too.

The gift certificates expiring in 90 days is no deal-breaker as I buy from them seemingly every week.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-What a hassle this card is, with the cost, the small "reward," and the expiring points. Seems like Bestbuy is targeting a small group of buyers with this program. Any educated person can reason that it's only worth it if you spend alot of money in a short period of time, and even then the 'savings' might easily be negated or beaten by a little shopping around for better prices.

-I'm in the process of closing on a new house right now, so I was very interested in this program, and I was glad to recieve a free membership mailing. Looking to buy one or more new appliances in a short time would seemingly make me an ideal candidate for such promotion. Well, weighing the tiny return on investment against shopping around for a better deal makes it pretty much a no brainer. There is just too much hassle and wait vs. little reward. With maybe a few exceptions, The only real winner with this program is Bestbuy. I don't fault them though, they are only there to make money, so where ever I find the best deals - that's where I'll spend my money, I just don't suspect it'll be at Bestbuy unless they offer some other deals/sale in addition the RewardsZone.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
It's nothing that I'm interested either. I was intrigued at first though. I don't have a Best Buy credit card though. Not sure how I get on their mailing list either. I have purchased quite a bit at their store as well as made online purchases and I never received any opportunity to get a free card.

After all the replies and more information, I guess I don't care anymore.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree, the way it's set up seems to be for maximum preying upon stupidity. There are some people, like me, who it will work for--i.e., a trip to BB every Tuesday already, rarely escaping with less than $50 in purchases--but for most sporadic shoppers, it's $10 down the crapper. I guess that's what they're counting on: the 999 who will pay $10 and get zero benefit, and me getting back $5 every 2 weeks....the other 999 subsidize me leaving a tidy profit for the BB executives.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, isn't that half the purpose of all frequent buyer programs? The other half being, of course, that the person with a BB RewardZone card in his wallet will come to BB when they have a purchase to make rather than Circuit City, especially after they've paid for it ("may as well get some use out of this thing"). It's not meant to be a tool by which people who do extensive price checks can save money, but a means of building brand loyalty.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
You have to spend $375 just to get a gain of $5 bucks. Bad deal. I can save that much in one shopping purchase by going to walmart when they have a dvd for $5 dollars cheaper.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Again, the points do not expire...only the $5.00 certificate after 90 days.

You have to spend $375 just to get a gain of $5 bucks.
Way off base with this comment.

First, when you sign up they give you 5,000 points. Take 30 seconds on their website giving them a valid email addy and they'll give you 2,500 more. Also, every purchase you make you get 500 points ontop of 100 for every dollar. Based on that it's much, much less then having to spend $375 to get $5 back.

Peace Out~:D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
For every 12,500 Reward Zone™ points you earn, you will automatically receive a $5 Reward Zone™ Certificate redeemable toward the purchase of any eligible product or service priced at $10 or higher at participating Best Buy locations. At the time a Certificate is issued, 12,500 points are deducted from your account. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of Certificates. Certificates may be used in conjunction with other discounts or offers towards the purchase of products not to exceed purchase amount. Each Certificate must be redeemed within 90 days from the date it is issued.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I could see it if you buy things from best buy every week and I guess there are people out there that do, but still it doesn't seem to be a very customer friendly program.
That's the point. I don't think the Rewards Zone thing is supposed to be for the people who spend less than say $500 a year there.

For me, however, it's a like a 4% discount! First of all, I got my card for free, with the 5000 points. I'm going to register an email for an additional set of points. In less than one month, I've bought 6 DVDs totalling $100, photo printer $100, video game $50, photo paper $10, toner $30, and a gift for my father $40. So that's already 38000 points I've accumulated (which will translate to three $5 coupons) so if I had paid for the card (which I didn't) I'd already be $5 up. As it is I'm $15 up. And here comes Two Towers regular and gift sets, Indiana Jones Trilogy, probably that Pioneer 563A DVDA/SACD player, and regular release CDs and DVDs that I can't seem to stop buying. :D

So for someone like me, not only does this program make sense, it actually is a benefit. And no, I don't buy from Best Buy if they aren't the lowest around...unless I can pricematch. :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The difference with the Suncoast card is that they run triple points weekends periodically - meaning the discount turns into $5 off $33.33, instead of $5 off $100. For the person above who said to shop somewhere else - that works if you buy blockbusters.

Ex: Pioneer anime cost online is, at best, $22ish. Suncoast, release week, is $24.95 + tax. Plus $1.25 worth of points on the suncoast card. $25.12 instore compared to $22.31 shipped from Deep Discount DVD. We're looking at a $2.32 difference. Considering how quickly DDD will ship to me, the $2.xx price difference is worth knowing I will get the correct disk, returns at Suncoast are NEVER a problem, and I will get it in my grubby hands immediately. Worth 2 measly dollars to me.

Best Buy's card could end up being similiar. Depends on how many extra points promotions they do. I have held out thus far. Anime @ BB is regularly $22.99 (and not just on sale weekend!). With the points reward system, they may well pry me away from Suncoast, which is ironic, since they sold off Suncoast. :)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
DaveGTP, you're spending habits are much like mine! I buy tons and tons of anime and BB is the same price as anywhere else. Plus, I get to have the disc right away instead of waiting for it to be shipped (with seems to be quite unreliable in my area). For me, it just makes sense. I don't get a whole lot back but I figure if I'm going to spend money there anyway, why not?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Leila, the only thing that holds me back from the BB card is that the nearest BB is about 25 miles away down the freeway. For now, Suncoast is pretty close to the same price, when properly organized. Best Buy is about 20-30 min drive, which kind of negates the price advantage. My GTP eats premium, which, last night, was $1.91 all of the sudden!! Plus, I have had some very rare problems with the Post Office (I thought I had lost a $60 box of used anime from a forum member worth about $100 new). Instore is always safer if the price difference is negligable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Leila, the only thing that holds me back from the BB card is that the nearest BB is about 25 miles away down the freeway
Man Dave, if I had that problem I'd be a rich man from all the savings! :D

Unfortunately, when I move into my new place at the end of the month I will be across the street from a Best Buy. No, literally, across the street from one - about 100 yards total if you factor in their parking lot. Goodbye disposable income. :frowning:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Dave, oh man that's got to be rough! I live about 10 min from a Best Buy, but it's also situation right next to a mall that has a Suncoast in it (not to mention a whole host of other attractions in the vicinity). I usually head over to BB and if they don't have what I'm looking for, I go to Suncoast. Plus, BB often has anime released early (it's there on Saturday before a Tuesday release). So that's definitely a plus!

Carlo, wow, I'd be in BIG trouble! It sounds nice, in theory, until I'd end up in the poor house because of it ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It doesn't say that on the rules sheet.
Well, it looks as though they have changed the rules. I'm still getting it, but it looks like for the new recruits, it's not offered.

Looking over my statement, I have earned 14,000 points just from that 500 for every purchase. Even without that, I may re-up, but I will be reading the fine print before I do. My year ends Nov. 1st and it has paid off for me greatly and a large accumulation of points has been from that 500 additional with every purchase.

Add the 14,000 to the 5,000 when signing up and the 2,500 for the email. I nearly paid the $9.99 fee with all those free points.

It's a good program for those that spend a lot at BB, which I do. It's a mile down the street from the office, they price match most everyone (CC, Target, Wal-Mart) so I get some of the best prices and they send me money in return.

Peace Out~:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
wow, I'd be in BIG trouble! It sounds nice, in theory, until I'd end up in the poor house because of it
Yeah, the worst part is that I'm moving in with my girlfriend and so I'm having my rent cut in half - so that's MORE disposable income to go Best Buy's way! ARRRGGGHHHH!

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-As I've read this thread, and similar other ones, I find the polarity of the views points to be interesting. It seems that either the BB rewards program is great or poor, with little middle ground of opinions. I am of the opinion that the program is extremely weak and pretty much a waste of time for the vast majority of consumers. I am therefore perplexed and, and a bit amused, by the defensive arguments for the program. Well, if you can make the program worthwhile for you, more power to you. I just wish the free membership was transferable, I'd be willing to pass it on to someone who felt it was worth it. As it is, it's just more Massachusetts landfill.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am therefore perplexed and, and a bit amused, by the defensive arguments for the program. Well, if you can make the program worthwhile for you, more power to you.
Well I'm amused that people can't seem to understand the program would work for some (though clearly not all) people.

It's actually very very simple. I'll number it for ease of viewing:

1. This is essentially a 4% return on all Best Buy purchases (with the caveats that the rebates expire in 90 days). For people who shop there all the time, which I do - and this is before I ever heard of this rewards program - then it's like 4% back every $125 I spend.

2. 90 days is no problem because I go there weekly.

3. $10 minimum purchase for the coupon is no problem because most DVDs I want are over $10.

4. $10 cost for the rewards card is no problem because I got mine free.

5. I spend between $1000-$1500 a year at Best Buy (DVDs, CDs, computer peripherals, photo printer paper) so 4% would roughliy be between $40-$60 in coupons.

6. I don't shop at Best Buy to "justify my rewards card." They are usually the lowest price in town, and if not, they pricematch.

7. This rewards zone clearly isn't for everyone. If you don't spend a lot or shop frequently, this card is not for you. If you do, it can be a way to get cash back!

Neither side is wrong! What's so hard to understand about this? You don't spend a lot of cash at BB? Then this is a bad, bad program for you. You do spend a lot? Then it could be good, very good for you. Can't we just agree that, like most other things in life, this can please some but not all people?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks