What's new

Best Buy Reward Zone, I don't understand the benefit (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Someone please explain why anyone would do this?

First of all you pay them $9.99 to become a "member". For every $1 you spend you get 100 points. Get up to 12,500 points and they send you a $5 coupon.

So spend $125 and you get a $5 coupon. In order to earn back your $10 initial charge you need to spend $250 to get 2 $5 coupons. Seems like a great deal for best buy and a poor deal for the average user. I could see if the "membership" were free, kinda like a frequent buyer card like normal stores do with something like this. I guess I don't shop at Best Buy enough. Also the cost only buys you a year membership. And it doesn't automatically renew.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm sure there are people that spend $125 or more per year at Best Buy, so they would at least get their money back. Plus, they're giving away a $25,000 shopping spree every day until the 23rd of this month, so for the people that spend $125 or more per year there, that's another potential benefit.

Don Black

Screenwriter
My letter from BB said that they wouldn't charge me anything in the first year and that they would give me 5,000 points to enroll.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got one of those one a week coupon books too, but nothing i would use.

on the rewardzone thing here is what i posted in last weeks roundup...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good point malcom, also 5 earned for every 125 spent is a 4% return. which again is ok but barely enough to even cover sales tax.

if this was 5 for every 100, then that would be more interesting to me.

you would have to spend 250 to earn back the 9.99. so you essentually have to spend 375 to start to get your first free $5.
so it really becomes 5 back from $375.and that is only .0133% return. the .0133 the 3 goes to infinty so it doesnt even round up to .014 or .02%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now i realize the more you spend, the percentage of rebate goes higher but really you have to spend well over $500 to see any good return on this thing.

many people do that but if you don't, it sure isnt worth buying this for 9.99.

i would not have bought this. i have mine for free.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Dont forget points you rack up expire in 90 days. So you have to spend quite a bit in a short amount of time.....

Luis S

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I have one of these cards and it's not a great deal, but works for me. I spend $100-$200/month at Best Buy (crazy, I know) so it makes sense for me. But I do agree it's not good if you don't spend a lot of money there.

Devin U

Second Unit
Im kinda mad about the points expirering. I live in the test market, and last year, the points didnt expire. Still, since they sent me another free card, ill use it, even though I try to avoid BB like the plague.

StephenA

Screenwriter
The Suncoast card seems to be much better, from what you guys say about the Best Buy Card. My Suncoast card at least helps me save money on DVDs when I buy them there.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
The Suncoast card seems to be much better, from what you guys say about the Best Buy Card. My Suncoast card at least helps me save money on DVDs when I buy them there.
The BB card is basically the same thing. The only difference is, that since Suncoast is so much more expensive, you don't have to buy as many movies to spend $100.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
on the points expiring,...in the faq it says it could take 6-8 weeks to get the rewards certificate.

so thats 40-60 days.

hmmm now only 30 days or so to use the cert, if it gets through the mail to you.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got my membership card for free. I figure I'll be spending the money there anyway, at least it'll work for me. If there is a better deal elsewhere, then I'll get it elsewhere, but usually I have Best Buy pricematch other B&Ms.

Lately, online shopping hasn't been as good of a deal for most DVDs as just buying it locally. Bigger items, like TV Season DVDs, are still cheaper online, and I still get them there.

I'll probably be buying a RPTV around christmastime. If I end up buying it at Best Buy, it'll be nice get a whole bunch of $5 off cupons later on.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I too got the membership card for free last year (did ANYONE pay for this thing? :)), and the points didn't expire. I got $35 total back, most of it from doing some christmas shopping there.

Last year you normally only got points on software (CD,DVD,games) purchases. have they changed that this year?

Either way, I think it's stupid to charge for this. No way I'm paying $10/year for it. I got it for free, so I've been going there. Isn't that the point, to keep people coming back?

I had to do that, and it was surprisingly smooth. I've always had a good experience returning things at Best Buy, which is the main reason I shop there.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I spend a crap load of money at Best Buy so the whole deal works for me. I'm getting ready to purchase my own PS2, and a whole lot of other stuff to boot in the next two months. I'll recover the initial cost pretty easily.

But to be honest, I seriously don't think it's worth it for people who shop sparingly at Best Buy.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I also got mine for free but I'm not even gonna bother using it. The points expiring in 90 days kills the benefit since I only buy small stuff from Best Buy (mostly DVDs).

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
To those of you who got the card for free - do you have a Best Buy credit card? I got the subscription offer in the mail asking for $9.99 to join, even though I've spent literally thousands of dollars at their store over the years. I was pretty put out, honestly.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> My Suncoast card at least helps me save money on DVDs when I buy them there.

Shop elsewhere & save a lot more.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Do the points expire? Or is it the $5 gift certificates that expire?

If it's the points, I won't bother either.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
This is another marketing ploy by a company trying to create new revenue while making their customers think they're getting a "deal." Unfortunately, the majority of the customers don't scrutinize the terms and conditions as well as all of you. Of course, Best Buy is counting on that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The points do not expire, the $5.00 certificates expire after 90 days.

It was a worthy $9.99 investment for myself. I've totaled $50 in certificates so far. I'm only 1 DVD purchase away from another $5.00 certificate. Looking ahead at just my future DVD purchases until my membership expires, I'll rack in another $10 easily.

I buy 99% of my DVDs at Best Buy, plus other stuff every now and then, so for me, it works.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks